PDA

View Full Version : Are we forgetting?

copper
04-12-2005, 12:54 PM
I've been pondering the unusually high tension that has been going around lately. I haven't decided if it can be attributed to the long winter, lunar gravitational changes, or new personalities that have climbed on recently. At first thought, I see some of the more ungentlemanly posts and wish such posters would just vanish. After thinking harder about this, that is not the best stance.

Here, at this board, we have gurus, experts, students, innovators, smart allicks, abrasive folks, guys that know little and think they know alot, guys that know more than they give themselves credit for, nice guys not so nice guys, and if you really think about it...very, very, very few useless jerks.

So what we have at this board is all the semblance of a typical extended family and all the quirks that go with it. It seems like tensions are running higher than normal for this particular cyber family these days. Yet, when someone really needs to know something, the majority of the posters still rush in to offer what they know/experience. Just the same way that moderatly disfunctional family will still stop everything, and aid a member.

When you think about it, we have so much diversity among us these days, that we have no choice but to learn to live with a lot of varying opinion. This board is international. It spans sportsman, soldiers, men, women, conservatives, and liberals. And, the core of this little family is still very genuine, and loyal. This is evidenced in the various rondys that are popping up. I have a cousin who runs his mouth routinely about that which he knows nothing. It's easier to either render his erroneous points moot with superior input, or leave it alone as I know he will never learn anyway. One thing I don't do at our families table is run him down.

I'm guilty at times, of looking at someones posts and drawing conclusions based on how I percieve what they say; having missed the truly cool aspect of testing and learning. So now I have to go back through a lot of old posts and threads to see what I may have missed the first time around. I have to do this because I have gotten caught up in the intensity of comparing reputations, worrying about filtering truth from B.S., and sub-consiously placing posters in a hierarchy based on the 1's and 0's that is internet data.

I therefore think that we should consider doing the following: Lets try to maintain the gentlmanly nature of conduct that we all have in us. I realize that things get taken out of context at times and that will still happen. But if you wouldn't say it to a loved one at the Thanksgiving day table, don't type it that way here.
Let's accept the fact that with the size of this board and the variety of topics discussed, not all information will always be applicable or credible. We can challenge such things, but we need not hurt feelings.
And let's finally keep at the front of our minds the very most important thing: we all get out in those woods, we all get back safely, and we all bring something back inside us each time we do it. After all, we hunting outdoorsy types are an elite bunch. We are severly outnumbered by people who hate what we do, and work at each turn to take it away from us. Can we really afford to let internal tension, degrade information sharing, to the point that we inadvertantly help them accomplish this?

Smackdaddyj
04-12-2005, 01:08 PM
There are liberals on this board?!?!?! Who!?!? Let's get 'em!!

jimd
04-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Well, we found the smart a..... allick /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif what did you think I was going to say? Ok, maybe we found two.

Copper- good post and good point.... of course I may be one of the few useless jerks /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif But I am with you anyway.

Ralph
04-12-2005, 03:04 PM
Well said, Copper, and I agree.

Let's chalk off some of the bad manners to cabin fever. Many, if not most, of us live in areas featuring long, cold winters. (It seems a good chunk of Colorado got clobbered recently - lots of luck, guys.) I know for myself, looking around and seeing the first blush of green makes me very happy.

None of the regular contributors are useless jerks, that's reserved for the seagulls (love that term!).

MikeM
04-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Nicely put Copper. When you step back many times both sides are right and it's just how the words sound or a sentence that can be taken out of context that is causing the issue. But in any event there is always more to learn on this site and life is way, way too short.

Dave R.
04-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Copper...Great writing...I agree with you..and as usual, I agree with Ralph too.

Dave

Nevada Dan
04-12-2005, 08:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I therefore think that we should consider doing the following: Lets try to maintain the gentlmanly nature of conduct that we all have in us. I realize that things get taken out of context at times and that will still happen. But if you wouldn't say it to a loved one at the Thanksgiving day table, don't type it that way here.</div></div>Copper,Thanks, that should a real good, working guide line.

homerdave
04-12-2005, 08:56 PM
uh, i would be the liberal /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

PA Scott
04-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Copper,

Well said, my friend.

Still interested in some fishing this summer?

Scott

copper
04-13-2005, 05:39 AM
That's a big 10/4 good buddy!!!

Woods Walker
04-13-2005, 08:32 AM
I for one am placing all blame for the resent hostilities on Copper. Every time I point out the fact that a person can pay for the expenses of a good trout fishing trip by panning for gold that copper guy is on my back. He slanders me. Calling me crazy. Well anyone that does not bring a gold pan along on a fishing tip is “crazy”. Twice the moderators have deleted my “gold panning” threads. Others have just attacked me claiming that a rocker is better than a pan. Yea you can pack the weight of a rocker around then you are welcome to it.

imported_Randy
04-13-2005, 08:51 AM
homerdave, you liberal?? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Heck you live in Homer AK, if Joe Vogler was still alive I'm sure we would have just bombed Homer by now! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif You're one of about a handful of liberals I like, must be getting soft in my old age. Randy

STTAOW
04-13-2005, 09:50 AM
Woods Walker, LOL...that was priceless.

Copper, like you said: you can't pick your family, you can only love them for who they are.

This is a cool topic for me. I just had my Identity Management and Communications Theory class and a lot of the stuff that we're studying is happening on this board. It's satisfying when you can apply what you're learning.

Dale Lindsley
04-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Yes, homerdave I would agree you are THE liberal. I'm the OTHER one.

Siskiyous6.1
04-14-2005, 08:11 AM
WHY Can't we all get along? Oh, I remember it is because you don't agree with me. THIS IS A JOKE.

William Clunie
04-14-2005, 09:11 AM
Copper,
It's easy to be polite, and it really takes more work to be a rude jerk. I'm not talking about the innocent miscommunication problems caused by the limits of electronic messages. I'm talking about the effort some folks put into being as impolite as possible when they disagree with someone on this board.
Most of the time (99%) the reading here is excellent--informative, funny, interesting, cutting edge, etc. Then the ocassional jerk pops up.
Read Jeff Cooper's book, "To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth." In it he describes how the masses within our society don't care about being rude because they can get away with it; it's accepted today as part of life. In the days before political correctness, a rude individual would be taken to task. If you were going to put someone down, you had better be prepared to back it up. In today's "civilized" world, folks can mouth off all they want knowing that most individuals have been brainwashed into thinking that they have to be passive and let the other person speak their mind.
I don't know who said it first but I think it's a great line--"An armed society is a polite society." Folks would choose their words more carefully if they knew that what they said might be taken seriously.
Thank you kindly for bringing up the subject. I like to enjoy myself here on the Kifaru board, not mince words with electronic Rambos.
William Clunie