PDA

View Full Version : Know your audience

Kevin
04-12-2005, 06:49 AM
From time to time, I have to delete a thread, or posts, because the debate has gotten too intense. I hate to do this, as I dump good info as well as the bad. Because of this, it's probably time to discuss who the audience at Kifaru is.

This is a MB comprised primarily of very experienced outdoorsmen. They are independent people, people who have years of experience in the woods and people who take pride in that. There are also folks with less experience who are trying to learn about how to do this...Copper's dialogue regarding his first ramble come to mind as a good example. (Great job, Copper, BTW.)

I remember the days when I discovered this MB, and read the words of Posimag, Sundles, Patrick and others....and those words helped me immensely in optimizing my mountain hunting setup. Pounds disappeared from my pack, and my effectiveness in traveling long miles went up. Not bad for a guy with asthma who hates to run.

Any post or thread which implies that you somehow have a lock on wisdom, and that everyone who does not do it your way is stupid, is doomed to awaken the ire of the masses. Expect to be flamed, and expect to be proven wrong. And expect the moderator to let it happen for a while.

It is possible to ask a question, or assert a point without making the other person feel like you're telling him he is stupid. The fact remains that there is often more than one way to do something, and both work, but both have trade-offs.

In the sleeping bag world, down is lighter but worthless when wet. Synthetics, although heavier, work when wet, but perhaps not as well as when bone-dry. There are trade-offs in both designs.

Likewise, to kill an elk, there are two schools. Some folks, like Tim, prefer a 338. Others, like me, prefer something in the 270/30-06 class. We both frequently kill elk. Tim's rifle hits harder, that is beyond dispute. Mine is much lighter, approaching...but not at Rambler weight. It hits plenty hard, too, but I am not so stupid to imply that it hits as hard as Tim's rifle. So what, I respect him for his knowledge and would gladly hunt elk with him. I might even bring the 300 WSM to make him feel better, until he saw it was an ugly push feed Savage. (If he's really nice about it, I might add a 325 or 350 WSM barrel.)

There's a debate about CRF vs push feed. Being a lefty, there were no CRF rifles out there when I was looking for a LH rifle, at least none that cost less than a new Harley. Big deal...trade offs again...the Remington is lighter and more accurate, the Mauser designs a little more reliable under tough conditions. Would I hunt big bears with a push feed rifle? Sure, up until recently, what was my choice?

One of the reasons a certain sleeping bag manufacturer inflames passions is that he thinks anyone who uses anything but one of his bags is wasting his money. And a corollary of that is that you must not be too smart if you're using a Brand X bag. Well, I know a lot of folks on this board, and they ain't stupid. The fact is, folks have kept warm in the woods for decades, and have used all types of bags. Some are better than others for certain conditions. Trade-offs again.

The purpose of this board is to advance the art of mountain and extended backpack hunting. The purpose of this board is not to feed anyone's ego, nor to allow it to be a canvas for anyone who wants to prove a certain point.

This is supposed to be fun, and a nice break from the stress of everyday life. Hunting, planning the hunt, and telling of the hunt, are joys that non-hunters can never understand. Post with that in mind, please.

Dave R.
04-12-2005, 08:21 AM
To All...

I've been on his board for over seven years now...here's my 2 cents..

I love to hear good and bad info about gear or techniques that are based on the vast personal experiences of the members of this board. I do not like to read posts that are designed to injure someone's personal reputation or ignore their God given right to be treated with respect. Let's talk gear and technique and dump the personal attacks...they are a waste of time.

Dave

copper
04-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Dave R.: I'm still trying to decide what you "really" meant about a copper dummy in a sleeping bag /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Dave R.
04-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Copper, ....have a hit of Cider!!!

Dave

Nevada Dan
04-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Dave- "Exactly" (not the cider, well maybe!), well worded.

And Kevin, Once again, thanks for taking on the job of Moderator.

Kevin
04-13-2005, 12:13 PM
With apologies to the military folks, an example of exactly how smart the folks that frequent this board are may be found there.

Some fellow named Phishi asked if you could use a Tailgunner pack as the top flap on the military Zulu. Sure enough, it take an already versatile design and makes it even better.

Yup, these folks are pretty savvy.

MikeM
04-13-2005, 03:12 PM
I've use my day stalker in place of the top pocket on the LH, does that count for anything?

I'll confess (before he sees this) it was Patricks idea.

achadwick
04-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks, Kevin! The personal attacks and flame wars really detract from the discussion IMHO. It's sometimes hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I'm one of the newbies on this board and have learned an incredible amount here. Last year was my first year backpack hunting. Shot a nice 4x5 deer in California's zone D5. The many tips I learned on this board really made a difference. Thanks to all.

BTW, I really don't know how I managed to live without Patrick's gun bearer. I use it almost every time I go hunting now, waterfowl, dove, coyote, and big game of course. I'm saving up for a Kifaru pack and tipi.

razorsharp
04-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Maybe we should have a "vent and abuse" column, so whenever someone feels like getting personal, because they have been offended, they can log in and say whatever, over there, and come back when they cool off and resume constructive chatting.
So you would just check out the threads in that column, daily, to see if you are being attacked, and decide whether you want to respond.
Kinda like taking the fight outside, ya know?

Kevin
04-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Welcome, Achadwick. There is much to learn here, and if you've got a question, ask. Not only are these guys pretty accomplished, they willingly share information.

You will be hard pressed to find a better group of people.