PDA

View Full Version : Yes, I did

Kevin
04-11-2005, 10:08 PM
I deleted the wet sleeping bag thread. I got sick of it.

copper
04-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Ahh, the joys of a benevolent dictatorship! Good call.

shu
04-12-2005, 09:26 AM
Fine--but if CCH takes to sleeping in bear country wrapped in bacon its on your head.

Kevin
04-12-2005, 09:31 AM
Hey, he's got the Jellystone Park survival training so he'll do fine.

Thanks for injecting a little levity into that mess.

imported_Randy
04-12-2005, 11:03 AM
shu, you still crack me up!

kevin, you're other post concerning "know your audience" was very well put. Spot on man.

Dave R. I hear you man, I've had the pleasure of hunting with some very good outdoorsmen from all over the U.S. thanks to my stint as a guide. The majority of really good outdoorsmen I have been around are not of the chest thumping variety. There have been a small percentage of guys that while good outdoorsmen in their own right, thought everyone that didn't do it their way was ignorant and NO one else possessed the hunting skills on par with their own. I'm much more comfortable and content around the majority as the minority are like a cockleburr in your sleeping bag, (it only takes one to make an uncomfortable night). This board has proved my experience of that scenario out over the years, mostly just a bunch of good outdoorsmen in a quest to become even better, and when we come across the occassional cockleburr, well our host has no trouble tossing them outa the bag. I've learned from others here and hope my limited experience has been useful for some. Seems like that's the intention of this gig all along.

Nothing wrong with a little good natured ribbing though, but I would caution that is much harder to do over the internet where you cannot read body language, inflection and tone in the written word. Good posts as always gents, and shu believe it or not my life would be just a wee bit drearier without your humor. Randy

MikeM
04-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Whew, just when I thought the boys had decided to pick up their marbles and call it quits, the ax falls. Well, all I can tell you is that I'm not camping anywhere near CCH. Well, come to think of it, maybe..., yea if I was a mile away he might make good bait, like one of those goats tied to a tipi pole or was that a stake? Anyway sure would keep the bad stuff away.

Too bad we had to lose the cartoons, (and a few good notes on a serious topic) but don't know how else to keep a quality board. Good luck Kevin.

Nevada Dan
04-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Kevin, I don't blame you one bit. And, like you said in the other thread, unfortunately the good info contained there in, had to go with the rest of the bad water, of which there was much.

Kevin
04-12-2005, 08:49 PM
Mike, I might suggest you put a tree stand above CCH's camp. With him wrapped in bacon..actually a lot of bacon, Chris is not a tofu eating twig boy....that might be enticing to an hungry bear.

That might be considered baiting, though, so check the local regs.

Dan M
04-12-2005, 11:24 PM
<chuckles>....I spend most of my time on the military side of the boards, but I have to admit that I have been frequenting this side specifically FOR the wet sleeping threads. Seems every 4 moths or so someone starts it up again and I come over and follow it like a soap opera. I'll check back in a month or two and see if it gets resurrected. Cheers.

MikeM
04-13-2005, 06:05 AM
Good idea, but would CCH hold still long enough for me to get a shot? I hear he can be pretty quick on his feet. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

CCH
04-14-2005, 10:41 AM
MikeM, I am actually pretty slow when pinned to the ground by a bear. Lots of thrashing but not much forward progress.

Kevin, "lots of bacon"??? Ouch. I'm betting we have pretty equal surface areas, if not height... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Y'all have me convinced that bacon is not the optimal choice for mountain conditions. I've been looking into diets and a nice lettuce wrap seems to be the way to go. Water resistant, lightweight and attracts ungulates rather than ursines.

Sawtooth
04-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Hey CCH,

Stay away from skunk cabbage and cow parsnip too. The bears think it's a chef's salad. So now what I want to see is you rambling along with heads of lettuce strapped on top of your pack. The snowshoes will L-O-V-E you. Maybe I should have taken some lettuce on my trips last year and they would have left the wrist straps on my trekking poles alone! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Kevin
04-14-2005, 10:54 AM
No insult intended, amigo, please accept my apologies. I was just commenting that you ain't no sprout-eating Boulder stringbean..you're the perfect size to pack my elk out, in fact.

Of course, if you ate like watermelon-boy, you might look like a blonde bear. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Hey, don't you bowhunt as well? If so, we should practice at Bear Creek park sometimes.

Sawtooth
04-14-2005, 10:57 AM
Hey, not all of us stringbeans eat sprouts!

CCH
04-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Kevin, no worries, my fat's too thick for me to take offense. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Well I did put in for an archery deer tag this fall so I hope to be getting back to archery hunting. We should definitely meet out there some time to shoot.

Sawtooth, you still planning on bringing your daughter to the Rendezvous? Chase has a ball game that Saturday morning so we might be late arrivals but for now we plan on making it up there.

Kevin
04-14-2005, 11:47 AM
Chris, what unit for deer? I'm at Bear Creek 2-3x per week, and have an annual pass, so it's free for you to go with me.

Sawtooth, on an early Colo bivy, I slept w/o tent or tarp, and in the middle of the night, rolled over on a snowshoe rabbit that was next to me. He squealed, and wriggled out from under me. If I'd have been more awake, I might have just caught lunch.

Sawtooth
04-14-2005, 12:15 PM
Chris,

Yes, we're both attending the Rondy. If she gets any more wound up about it, she's going to spin a hole in the living room floor. I made the mistake of taking her to the Springs REI last weekend so she could climb on the wall. Oh my God...we were in there for 3 hours. It'll be good to see you guys again.

kev,

My stomping grounds are a veritable smorgasbord. Many, many bunnies of the long-footed type. They also have no fear, which makes sleeping hard sometimes, but makes eating pretty easy. I've never seen method-of-take in the regs list "spear by trekking pole", but I think it would work! No noise, saves ammo for more important pursuits, etc.

/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

CCH
04-14-2005, 12:27 PM
I think it was 40??? Up on Glade Park near my folks. I can get away with taking my family out there for the weekend as opposed to me leaving my wife alone with the kids for six consecutive weekends.

Bear Creek sounds good. Let me know some time when you're going.

Sundles
04-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Very nice to know that there was some flaming and mud slinging gong on that I was not involved in or didnt even know was happening.

wyoelk
04-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Man, I go to bed one night laughing my rear off at the pictures and the Jellystone comment and check the next day and it was wiped out. What happened that I missed?

shu
04-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Well, you big meanies, I just noticed that Scotty Emmerson nuked ALL his threads and posts...
no more EMMERSONFAMILY for you to kick around, he took his ball and went home.

I hope you are happy now, so there!

Lamilite
04-19-2005, 03:56 PM
Shu, Now that's funny!

shu
04-20-2005, 07:12 AM
But in a sad way...