PDA

View Full Version : Seam Sealing Tipi ? "Set the Stove"

imported_rooster
04-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Is there an old post on these processes? Or does anyone wish to explain their methods? Thanks in advance.

Dave R.
04-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Rooster... There are old posts on this somewhere...it may be on the main web site too..I use GE Silicone 2 in clear formula...cut it in a cup with mineral spirits to make a smooth brushable paste. I use an old tooth brush and apply it to all the seams and bartacks...It goes pretty fast this way and it works great. Make sure you leave your tipi up long enough to allow the silicone to harden before you pack it up. I like testing mine with the garden hose when its done. I have an old version stove...can't help you with the stove pipe question. Good luck!

dave

Patrick
04-12-2005, 04:31 PM
rooster--

Dave has a good system explained there for seam sealing.

Setting the stovepipe refers to burning it to "temper" it to roll into tubular shape easier thereafter.

Shawn
04-13-2005, 06:53 AM
Don't forget to put some sealant on the cordura cone at the top of the tipi!

imported_rooster
04-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Kinda hard to reach the top of an 8 man. Do you get the last part as you take it down?

razorsharp
04-13-2005, 05:18 PM
Pitch the tipi inside out and stand on something to get the upper reaches, Roost.

Dave R.
04-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Rooster,

I have a 4 man, so its easy for me to reach. I have read posts saying that others with larger Tipis pitch their TIPI's inside out so that the top can be reached.

Dave

razorsharp
04-13-2005, 05:24 PM
What am I, chopped liver?!

imported_rooster
04-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Great. You guys rock!!!

Dave R.
04-13-2005, 06:26 PM
Hey Razorsharp...sorry about that...it looks like we both posted at the same time by one minute!! I didn't mean to stomp on you !!

Dave

razorsharp
04-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Dave,
I know that, just flaunting my insecurity in order to get some attention /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

MikeM
04-14-2005, 04:44 AM
Rooster you can also reach the cone when pitched in the normal mode by pulling out extra stakes besides the door and using a small step ladder.

Smackdaddyj
04-14-2005, 06:20 AM
Here is a question...how critical is it that the cone be pulled taught when sealing. Cordura is not that stretchable anyway. I would think that you could just "paint" the silicone on it after it is taken down and allow it to dry before packing it up. I could be wrong, but it seems to make sense to me. Do the paratipis have the Cordura cones? I should be getting mine next week. Can't wait.

Smackdaddyj

Patrick
04-14-2005, 08:21 AM
Smack--

The cone should be taut, just like the whole tipi. I suggest standing on a step ladder of enough height for the tipi being sealed, inside each doorway, but with only enough peg(s) removed to allow you to fit in there. It IS important for everything to be in stretched configuration for good sealing--including the cone. It's not difficult if you'll locate and use the correct step ladder. Borrow one if you need to.

Yes, your ParaTipi has Cordura cones. You'll find it quite easy to seal.

sdyotehunter
04-17-2005, 08:03 AM
One more question to add to this post...
I received my tipi a couple of days ago and am going to seal the seams today. Is it necessary to seal the seams on both the interior and exterior of the tipi? Thanks for your help.

Dave R.
04-17-2005, 08:05 AM
no...just the outside...Dave

sdyotehunter
04-17-2005, 08:19 AM
Appreciated!