PDA

View Full Version : UltraLightweight Pullouts?

Travis Scott
04-07-2005, 08:30 AM
I'm curious what the different sizes weigh, and if they are waterproof, or at least, water resistant?

Sawtooth
04-07-2005, 11:53 AM
TS,

This is not going to be scientific...

they weight about as much as a popcorn fart.

Seriously, they weigh so little, it's really not even a concern of mine. I think the zipper on them weighs more than the Pullout itself. They appear to be made from the same material as the ultralight tipi fabric, which makes them waterproof. You may get a better answer from Patrick on this, but this is my take.

shu
04-07-2005, 12:27 PM
The fabric is waterproof but the seams and zippers are not. The seams can be sealed (just like the tipis) but the zippers can not... but they don't seem to leak much. I think of them as 'water-resistant' and would double-bag anything that you absolutely do not want wet.

Weights range from around 1/2 ounce for the small to about 1 ounce for the XL--most of which, as Sawtooth mentioned, is likely the zipper.

Smackdaddyj
04-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Where are you seeing these? I immediately went looking for them on the site, but I don't see them. Is this something they told you about when you called? How much are they? I am very interested.

Smackdaddyj

Kevin
04-07-2005, 01:53 PM
http://kifaru.net/PULLOUT.HTM

Sawtooth
04-07-2005, 01:53 PM
SDJ,

Here ya go...

http://www.kifaru.net/PULLOUT.HTM

Sawtooth
04-07-2005, 01:56 PM
kevin,

14:53 seems to be a popular time to post replies!

Kevin
04-07-2005, 01:57 PM
You and I just think alike. How do you think I knew how to get the loads right for your rifle without ever testing anything?

Sawtooth
04-07-2005, 03:47 PM
It's S-C-A-R-Y. So what am I thinking right now??? Oh yeah, sheep. Never mind. You probably knew that.

Smackdaddyj
04-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys. I like them a lot. I need to call Kifaru and see if they can throw a few in with my order that is supposed to ship any day now.

Smackdaddyj

Ken
04-07-2005, 04:31 PM
You will love them...I just ordered some more Monday...

Dave R.
04-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Smackdaddyj

These are great things.t ...I especially like using them in the TIPI as little staging areas for gear...I line them up along the wall of the tipi next to my bed...I have all the various sizes and I keep related items together....At home, I keep them hung on the wall of my gear closet.. packed and ready to go...it makes getting ready for an outing very easy. During down time, I go through them and restock them...stuff like fire starters...batteries...flash lights...survival gear and the like. They are great for stowing clothes too

Dave

imported_Randy
04-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Another use I find for them is commercial travel, I carry keys, lighters, pens, wallet etc. etc. before entering the airport I just toss all my pocket contents in a pullout and then throw it on their X-ray gizmo, saves the hassle of emptying and refilling pockets until my flight is on it's last leg and then the stuff goes back into it's appropriate pocket. Handy for me.

Smackdaddyj
04-08-2005, 04:38 AM
Thanks guys--

I have some of the military pullouts coming, but I am seeing a real use for the mesh and ultralight pullouts. I like the idea of being able to put clothes in the mesh to dry out between uses. I will load up on a few more of these. I am sure my wife would approve ;-)

Smackdaddyj

Ksnake
04-08-2005, 10:36 AM
I see the military pullouts come in Olive Drab, are they made out of the tipi material like the Coyote Brown ones? Or something different?

Ralph
04-08-2005, 02:51 PM
One problem with pullouts is keeping track of what is in them when you have several of the same size. I have several small ones that externally look alike. Solution was to buy a package of the colored velcro cable straps (Radio Shack and some of the dollar stores have them). I cut these into 1/8" strips and replace the zipper pull with different colors. Yellow=firemaking, blue=shave kit, red=first aid, black=repair kit etc.

I also made a set using different colored zippers with the same idea. Problem with this is that the colored zippers are the toothed type and can't be sewn through. Another method is to pick up some colored plastic tags (yarn winders from the dollar store are good). Untie the pull cord, punch a hole in the colored tag, slip on and retie the pull.

Smackdaddyj
04-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Ksnake,

The military pullouts are made from 420d packcloth if I am not mistaken. I have not seen the tent fabric first hand yet, so I really can't compare. I should have my paratipi in a week or so.

I have not started using the pullouts that I have coming, but I was planning on using the same method as Ralph for keeping track of what is in each. Hopefully it will work as well as I think it will.

Smackdaddyj

MikeM
04-08-2005, 05:05 PM
I have a set of yellow ones but was just curious whether anyone who wanted more than one set has called and asked for a different color such as the white tipi fabric?

Sawtooth
04-08-2005, 06:08 PM
My 4 piece set came with an XL (white), L (yellow), M (brown) and S (another yellow). So they are making them with the white fabric.

Ken
04-08-2005, 08:21 PM
I've got yellow and white in my first set...I'll know more about what the second set looks like in a few days...

Ralph
04-09-2005, 06:43 AM
With the light colors, you can write the contents on them with a permanent marker (it blots, write big) if you don't use the color code pulls. All of mine are the military OD.

rambler_wannabe
04-12-2005, 10:55 AM
I requested (and received) them in the coyote brown tent fabric. I think they will accomodate any request if possible

You can still see through them (kind of like tinted windows). I don't think anything will write on the sil-nylon. Coded zipper pulls are the way to go. I have raided my wife's sewing room and grabbed beads--a couple shapes and colors--and set up morse code on the pulls. Round-Square-Round is FAK, etc. I am color-blind in the dark.

Ksnake
04-12-2005, 12:21 PM
Ralph, Good idea with the markers, but I caution. As time goes by, packing needs and styles change. But a permanent marker is permanent. Maybe a better way would be to use symbols, shapes, cartoons, or numbers, etc. That way your food pullout isn't limited to food. I've seen people make this mistake on their backpacks.

Smackdaddyj, Thanks, the reason I was asking was for the same reason as everyone else is discussing here. My bags are all brown. But that makes it difficult to know what's in them. Different colors seems to be the best solution. But was hoping the OD would be made from paratarp like the rest of them. And I didn't want white or yellow.

Ralph
04-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Rambler, the beads are a great idea. Our local dollar store has packs of 25-50 mixed shapes/colors in the larger hole size. If the 550 cord won't fit, you can always gut it and use it that way. With a mixed pack you can both color and shape code.

Ken
04-18-2005, 06:09 AM
The second set was Coyote Brown. As was the set I ordered for my father in law.

Woodland Girl
04-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Just ordered a set of mesh. Fingers crossed they will ship sooner than 6 weeks. Ksnake had a large mesh and it worked perfectly for food items. You can see and the full access is very much appreciated by a camp squaw.