PDA

View Full Version : Large stoves.

12 Man
03-30-2005, 09:51 AM
Has anyone made an effective damper.Would like to hear about any bodies tinkering with the stoves.Thanks

Dale Lindsley
03-30-2005, 10:06 AM
I've posted this several times, but you may have been lucky enough to have missed it. It is easy to reduce the burn rate on the large stove by sliding a tin can lid in with the spark arrestors or, my preference, to just close a 4-ply piece of aluminum foil in the door. That said, Patrick does NOT advocate monkeying with the stove in either way. He thinks it may be dangerous, I believe. Also the damper can certainly cause the stove to leak smoke into the tent if things aren't set just right. Finally, reducing burn rate, of course, reduces heat output, which, in an uninsulated tipi, produces the obvious result.
I got a three hour burn out of one load of fuel in a small Kifaru stove with the aluminum foil trick, but I could pick the stove up with my bare hands during the burn. It was putting out almost no heat.

12 Man
03-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Well producing no heat is a definite downside.Maybe i,ll just leave things as they are.Can,t help but play with stuff it,s in my nature.Thanks.