PDA

View Full Version : 8 Man & Paratipi Combo

Smackdaddyj
03-19-2005, 03:46 AM
There was a post not long ago about placing the paratipi inside one of the doors to an 8-Man so that you end up with more usable space. Does anyone here have that combo who can set them up as described and snap a few photos? I have a para on the way and will be getting an 8 man later this year. I would like to see how the set up looks and any descriptions on high points/low points would be great too.

Thanks

Smackdaddyj

Dale Lindsley
03-19-2005, 03:43 PM
I have both of those tipis. If it stops raining for a while I might try that setup. The trick, at my age is to remember to do it. Also, if it stops raining I have to mow the lawn first.

Smackdaddyj
03-19-2005, 06:40 PM
Dale,

Thanks for the offer. I will try to remind you in a week or so, if you have not had a chance before that. I have been up there and I know that the rain can go on forever. I also know what it is like to have to mow the grass, I grew up in FL, every 3-4 days in the summer when it is raining good.

Look forward to pics of your set up.

Smackdaddyj

MikeM
03-20-2005, 06:19 AM
Dale, do you have the paratarp too?

Just got though shoveling another load of that white crap off the side walks - suppose to be spring. You're problably riding around on a mower in shorts and sun glasses, sipping ice tea!

Dale Lindsley
03-20-2005, 02:58 PM
I'm afraid it's no to both. No paratarp and it is blowing and raining here. Also, my little lawn is about the size of two 8-man footprints, so, no riding.

Smackdaddyj
03-27-2005, 09:13 AM
Dale--

Just wondering if the weather has improved any. I know that it has turned sour here and everything is just soggy and muddy...great training. Look forward to seeing those pics when you get them and thanks.

Smackdaddyj

Dale Lindsley
03-27-2005, 03:09 PM
Still a mess here.

Smackdaddyj
04-04-2005, 08:33 AM
Dale--

How is the weather there? I still have an itch to see that tipi setup. Hope things have cleared up a bit.

Smackdaddyj

Dale Lindsley
04-04-2005, 02:08 PM
I can see I'm going to live to regret my rash offer. My lawn is mowed now. We'll see.

Smackdaddyj
04-06-2005, 03:54 PM
No problem, if you get it up, great, if not I understand.

Smackdaddyj

Ken
04-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Dale- Just send me your paratipi and stove for a month or so...I'll try it out...er ahhh...I mean, I'll set it up in the door of my 8 man. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

MikeM
04-07-2005, 05:46 AM
Hey Dale, if that lawn is that big of a problem why don't you buy a rabbit to take care of it. One or two should do the job. That way you can find some time for these experiments we need conducted. We've been lucky out here. The weather went from snow to sun with 50 - 60 temps. Looks like the snow is gone for good now so I'll be in the grass business too. Mike

jimd
04-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Ok, ok, I see I need to buy a paratarp & small stove for the greater good. I will take one for the team and find the money somewhere /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Of course it will still have to wait...my 8 man is still two weeks away /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Smackdaddyj
04-08-2005, 10:09 AM
no, no...

It's the paratipi. You need to take one for the group and buy a paratipi. The small stove in not necessary, but we will certainly back you up if the wife asks why you needed the stove..."because the guys said they would take me out if I didn't get the stove."

Smackdaddyj

Dale Lindsley
04-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Well, it was a real disappointment. The problem is, that because of the angle of the 8-man's wall, to get the para close enough to "mate" you would end up with so much paratipi inside the 8-man that you loose too much space in the 8-man. The front pole on the Para is about as tall as the door of the 8-man. Smack, if you PM me with an e-mail address I'll send you photos if you promise to get some of them onto the message board by whatever means are at your disposal.(CORRECTION: SEE POST BELOW) In the photos, the Para is set up too far from the 8-man to allow them to connect to each other in a weathertight fashion. Now, if you were willing to rig a tarp connecting them, you might get something useful. Come to think of it, I'm not sure what the utility of this setup was supposed to be in the first place.

jimd
04-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Wife?!?!?! Hehe, oh, yeah, most of you guys have to answer for your toys..... I love being single /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Dale Lindsley
04-08-2005, 08:21 PM
I take it back about the photos. When I went to download them I only had one of the dozen or so I thought I took, and that one taken from a rather worthless angle. My dgital camera skills are pretty dismal.

Smackdaddyj
04-09-2005, 01:30 PM
The initial reasoning was that I will be getting my Paratipi in a week or so and I plan on getting an 8 man later this year. I had read about other guys mating the two tents for increased space and I was interested. I would plan to put equipment and wood in the para and the family would use the main area (8 man). Those were my thoughts. I will be getting an 8 man either way, but I was really interested in how this setup worked and wanted to see pics. Dale, I appreciate your effort. I am sorry about the digital camera messing up on you. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know. You deserve it.

Smackdaddyj

MikeM
04-10-2005, 09:39 AM
Dale, after the rabbit joke, figured I ought to try and help out. Anybody can just jerk someones chain.

SD, I set up the 8 man and tried to attach the para tarp to the rear door. I wanted the peak of the tarb inside the tent and tied it to the clothes line. Then I took the pegs out of the door way and lined up the tarp peg holes with the outter most pegs holes of the tent door and pounded the pegs in. I strecthed out the rear part of tarp and set it up per normal. Since the tipi tent wall is at a sharp upward angle to have the full tarp opening inside the tipi I had to use the 3rd set of tarp peg holes. In otherwords a good 1/3 of the tarp overlaps the tipi space leaving only 2/3 as additional storager space. Probably a little less. I didn't use a pole in the tarp doorway since that would have projected inside the tipi.

Observations: 1) I could not get a good seal. You would need to add ties to both the tarp and the tipi to mate the two sides. 2)I didn't think the clothes line would take this kind of abuse in wind. The next option would be to tie the tarp front rope to the tipi center pole which would force you to have the stove in the front of the tent. Plus due to the angles the rope would put upward pressure on the top of the tipi zipper or else hang in the way. I prefer the stove in the back, out of the entry way. 3) IMO Blocking the rear door cause too great a loss of ventilation to prevent serious condensation. 4) If you want to pursue this idea wait until you get an 8 - man. When it arrives think about adding a velcrow strip the full length of the (upside down v shaped) doorway on full sides. Then order a A frame tent shape fabric from Patrict to mate with it. I would still add ties to both the tipi and this new tarp at least at the peak.

Conclusion: If you need more room buy a 12 man. Adding a vestibule is not a quick fix and would take some serious money. The vestibule would also interfere with the tipi areo dynamics and probably by torn off in any bad weather. Be sure to plan how to provide ventilation through the rear of the vestibule to prevent condensation.

Good luck SD And Dale, nice job - but think about thoses rabbits.

Smackdaddyj
04-11-2005, 01:20 PM
MikeM--

Thanks for the time and effort. I really appreciate it. I guess I will just keep them seperate if it comes to using them both at the same time. Of course, I am going to have to play around when I get them, but I will not expect much. If I have any great breakthroughs, I will post them with pics for all to marvel at.

Smackdaddyj