PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag for a youngster

sdyotehunter
03-06-2005, 05:44 PM
I have a son who has outgrown/worn out his previous sleeping bag. He's 10 years old, so I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a new bag, but I don't want a piece of junk either. 90% of his camping is summer and early fall. I'm thinking he needs a bag somewhere in the 0 to 20 degree range and it needs to be something he can pack in. I also want something he can use until he is a young adult and buy his own. I see on Campmor's site they have lots of different bags that seem to fit the bill...some on sale for as little as $35. Suggestions????

anthracitic
03-06-2005, 05:50 PM
Just maybe someone on the forum has a good used bag that they would part with reasonably. To my mind better than buying some chinese junk from Campmoor-

Sawtooth
03-06-2005, 05:52 PM
sdyh,

I don't know how big your boy is, but here's one idea:

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?productId=2066

TNF has more than one size. I'm weighing out the options for my 6-year-old daughter, who will need a good bag starting this spring. I'm sure she's not as big as your son, but I don't want to keep buying bags either. Good luck.

Sawtooth
03-06-2005, 05:55 PM
Here's another...
http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=719

This one is a 30F bag, so it may not keep him out in the temps you are shooting for.

Ken
03-06-2005, 06:08 PM
SD- It's a tough call...how big is he now? How big do you THINK he will get? (I know that sounds silly but look around the family...) Most regular sized bags will fit up to 5' 10" or so. A bag this size might be a touch big for now, but you can always put some clothes at the bottom to take up the open space.

Also, do you have other youngsters that will be using the bag in a few years? If so maybe, you would be served better with an intermediate size bag like Sawtooth linked.

(Edit...I meant to put 5" 10" not 5" 6"...)

Kevin
03-06-2005, 06:23 PM
I assume you're car camping. Get a full sized bag. REI has their annual "Spend your dividend" sale going on....

Check reioutlet.com, and campmor.com. Wait for a good deal, they do happen.

Wiggys makes a very good bag at about $100. I used the 40 degree bag down to 27 degrees last year, as did one of my friends. We were comfortable and warm, better than Jerry would have expected. YMMV.

Bear in mind, you can take a bag and add to its rating with a fleece liner.

Dave R.
03-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Wiggys makes a "Youth bag" too...you may have to call them to ask abou it.

Dave

Ralph
03-06-2005, 08:23 PM
I've used Slumberjack bags for years (from Campmor). These are probably Chinese, I guess, the tags are long gone. Quallofil with detailing virtually identical to top quality down bags.

At the moment, I have two sets (they are pairable). One is the SoLite model, rated for 40 degrees but more comfortable at 50 degrees. Modified rectangle, zips in both directions allowing foot ventilation. This is slightly smaller and slips into the DeeLite bag, rated at 20 degrees. The Deelite is more contoured, also zips in both directions. I've been comfortable below freezing. Together with a liner, I imagine would be adequate at 10 degrees or maybe lower.

The bags are of reasonable weight and quite compact, but are a bit larger than some of the supercompact models. Overall, I've been quite satisfied with them.

I like the pairable bags for their right and left zippers. Even if I am not with a close friend I find it convenient to have the zippers on the inboard side of the tent, that way one person doesn't have to try to exit into the tent wall. Center zips would actually be better (though not pairable) but those seem to be a military design, difficult to find in most civilian bags.

sdyotehunter
03-07-2005, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the info. I've decided on going with an adult sized bag. Most of our camping is vehicle camping, but I want him to be able to pack it on occasion, too. Does anyone have a specific recommendation as to a make and model...maybe something you've used yourself?

CCH
03-07-2005, 11:56 AM
My eight year old now has a Wiggy's Superlight "Short". I'm not sure on the exact measurements but it weighs about 3.5 lbs. and should fit him until he's a bit over five feet tall. He has a down bag as well but that little guy puts out an amount of condensation that is amazing. I think it has a lot to do with him hunkering down in his bag and breathing inside it but in any event, the synthetic Wiggy's has worked out much better for him. It was pretty reasonably priced as well. It's not on his website so you'll have to call.

sdyotehunter
03-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks, CCH, Sawtooth, and others for the suggestions. Now for the research!

Sawtooth
03-07-2005, 07:24 PM
CCH,

What was the temp rating on the Superlight Short?

Better yet, how cold have you had Watermelon Boy out for a sleep? I ask because the Wild One needs a bag. Her first overnight trip out this year will probably be the Rondy, unless we take a trek on Spring Break. As you know, I don't buy junk and I think out my acquisitions carefully. I'm looking at the bags I've listed above, but might consider the Wiggy's too. Thanks in advance for our input.

CCH
03-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Sawtooth, it has the 0 degree insulation but Jerry wouldn't rate it at that for a small child (he thought I was getting it for a four year old for some reason).

Probably last year's Rondy was about as cold as he's been out in it other than in a camper during rifle season. We had a stove going in the tipi at first but didn't keep it going. Can't recall how chilly it got that night but he slept like a brick.

I highly recommend it. Reasonable weight, reasonable cost and although I'm open to debate on the use of down by experienced adults, I'll never use it again for kids. The bag is sized so that your daughter won't be swimming in it (fold the extra length underneath her) but it should last for several years -- she's six right? If she ends up on the shorter side, it might last her indefinitely.

I would say that it would be warm enough for any weather you'd feel good about taking a younger kid out in. When I'm out with the family, I make sure they all have bags rated about 20 degrees warmer than mine. That way I have a better idea of their comfort.

If you want to check out Chase's for size some time, just let me know and we'll arrange for you to borrow it so she can try it on.

Sawtooth
03-07-2005, 09:14 PM
We'll be in town for the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society annual banquet on April 2nd. I will try to hook up with you then and maybe Rachel can slip into it to check size. Thanks...I'll be in touch.

CCH
03-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Sounds good.

shu
03-08-2005, 12:30 PM
sdyotehunter-

A name-brand synthetic in a smaller size from Campmor would be a good temporary solution as it should provide a few years of service at a moderate price. My daughter is using a TNF Cat's Meow for summer supplemented by a Slumberjack 'whatever' for colder temps... no complaints from anyone and total investment was about $120-.

For a bag your kids can hand down to their kids (again at a moderate price) get the Wiggy--it will be 'kid-proof', water-resistant, and guaranteed to keep its loft.

sdyotehunter
03-08-2005, 02:00 PM
shu...thanks for the advice. Now I've got to decide how much money I want/am able to cough up. The Wiggy's really tempts me.....