PDA

View Full Version : knives

sdyotehunter
03-05-2005, 05:08 PM
I wasn't sure if I should post this on the hunting board or here....I'm curious what knives you are using as your "do it all" knife.....the knife that cleans game, skins fur, butchers, repairs, etc. For me it's a Swedish Mora. I like them because they are durable, easy to sharpen, no frills, traditional, and best of all VERY easy on the pocket book. How about the rest of you?

Buck W
03-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Dozier Yukon Pro Skinner 3.5" D2, and Swiss Army Victorinox Hunter

Buck

Ralph
03-05-2005, 06:37 PM
D. H. Russell Small Game knife and Victorinox Hunter. My big knife is a Cold Steel Recon Scout. You can use this for skinning but its size makes it awkward. Smaller knives are more suitable for smaller jobs.

I keep a couple of Moras in the bugout kit I store in the truck - good knives.

Sawtooth
03-05-2005, 06:47 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid160/p350a57da042fc993167554e1933dcfec/f4ecf5f3.jpg

Top: Schrade Pro Hunter w/black micarta handles.

Bottom: Marble's Dall Deweese

The Pro Hunter is very stout, and is usually what I carry on big game hunts. I have not gotten the Victorinox Hunter that others have recommended, but I plan to soon.

Kevin
03-05-2005, 06:51 PM
They have the Hunter at Sportsman's Warehouse for $30 in green. Saw them today.

I'm sold on the Victorinox Hunter. I have 4, and that's only because I don't have 10.

Huntsman22
03-05-2005, 07:46 PM
I second buck w on the doziers.I carry 2,pro guide,slim outdoorsman.They outcut and outskin anything I've ever used except an old morseth that my old outfitter carried.

kevin, I was waring around in sportsmans warehouse today,too.Why didn't ya say hi? Don

Kevin
03-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Don, you were in Aurora, I was in Thornton, or I would have gladly bought you lunch.

Huntsman22
03-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Too bad,'cause it was getting real hungry out and I'da takin' you up on it /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

imported_Randy
03-05-2005, 11:54 PM
For all around do everything I like the Remington drop point (around $20-30) and the Cold Steel ??? trail master??? , it has eliptical blade and rubber handle.

sdyotehunter
03-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Lots of interesting preferences. I'm going to be checking out the Victorinox Hunter. Thanks for the input.

copper
03-07-2005, 06:07 AM
Benchmade nimravus cub, and a swiss army hunter.

Smackdaddyj
03-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Any of you guys carry the Alaskan Hunter Knives. I have seen them and they look like good game knives, but they are a little pricey. Anyone have anything to say about them...good or bad?

Smackdaddyj

copper
03-07-2005, 09:03 AM
I looked at the alaskans at gander mountain last year. They were pretty impressive. I think they were d2 tool grade steel but now are 1095 high carbon-not entirely sure on that. Anyway, they were really nice looking and came with a surprisingly sharp edge from the factory.

Incidentally, I had bought the tom brown tracker knife from tops a couple years ago. I thought it would replace my saw, ax, utlity knife, etc. It's a pretty cool knife that I would want with me if I were to be out for a REALLY long time, but at 1lb 12oz, I often still missed a hatchet, needed a real saw, and forget dressing deer.

I'm down to the nimravus cub, a cable saw, and swiss army pocket knife. I gave up on chopping wood the first time a chopped an hours worth not paying attention to the fact that most of the pieces were to big to fit in a medium stove /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif ! Breaking branches works better.

Shawn
03-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Girlfriend picked me up an Alaskan Knife for X-mas this year. Nice knife, very small and will be go with me up the mountain instead of my 1 lb buck knife. It has a good edge but I haven't taken it to an elk yet.

Barry
03-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Buck/Strider solution, Chris Reeve Nkonka, and a full size nimravus.

imported_rooster
03-07-2005, 12:57 PM
We have found the Knives of Alaska to be great tools. The small caping knife retains its edge and is tough enough to pull thru the breastbone of an eastern whitetail while being small enough to make very precision field dressing cuts. The Bush Camp and The cleaver are awesome when butchering the animal. I think they are very reasonably priced considering the quality and usability. I highly recommend these knives.

VernAK
03-08-2005, 08:30 AM
I too, found the Doziers and now have two. Great steel. The Micarta scales were slippery when gutting critters so I removed same and my neighbor replaced with dall sheep horn.....what a beauty. I've ordered two more without scales and will install dall horn on these also. One will be a prize in our next Friends of NRA Banquet.