PDA

View Full Version : No more Rentals

jimd
03-09-2005, 01:10 PM
Well, I might have missed this getting posted elsewhere, but just so everyone knows. I went to try and rent a 6 man to decide if I should get a 6 or an 8 man tipi. But renting was a pain in the butt so they dont do it anymore /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
Damn, and I thought I was gonna get an easy decision /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

MikeM
03-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Shoot, really sorry to hear that. After reading Woods Walker's hot house comments I was going to call about renting a paratipi. I've thought about one for a while but having an 8 man I didn't know if I'ld feel comfortable with the size. Thanks for the heads up.

jimd
03-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Yeah I was incredibly disappointed.... Not that I can really blame them. I am sure its a pain, but it really would have been nice to see, touch, taste, you know what I mean.

Anyone near WI with a 6 man? Really I am just trying to find out how much standing room I will have for showing and such.

Kevin B
03-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Jim, standing room is right at the pole. You can stand with a bit of a slouch/hunch but you have mabye a 2 foot ring from the pole before you are into the side wall of the tent. You can't really "shower" per se. Use a bucket of water and get clean, sure enough, but stand up with space and shower... not really. consider too that the pipe and stove are at the eating some of the best area to stand in. If I get mine up in the backyard this weekend I'll send you some pics to work from. An 8 man has much more room for standing acitvities. The 6 has plenty to stretch out completly upright, dress, undress, hang clothes etc but you can't really walk around much without having do be bent over. I described regularly using my back as a tent wall dryer by walking around the center pole and draging my back along the tent walls. Hope that helps some.

Bushcraft
03-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Kevin B,

Mind if I come by to check it out? I've been in 8 but would like to check out the size difference.

Kevin B
03-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Bush, Should I get the opportunity, you're in. However it's a sketchy proposition. I'm trying to have this house on the market by April one and I've lived here making it my mess for 8 years. I have your email. Should it look good for either day this weekend, I'll shoot you a note. Glad to have some company with a beer or 2 in the tipi.

Regardless, I'll get it up in the comming weeks, if not this weekend, so in any event you'll get a forewarn.

jimd
03-11-2005, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the info. Those are really my primary drivers for size, standing up to get dressed and being able to shower. So, I guess its an 8 man......... I think...

KB how tall are you?

Sgathak
03-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Get the sauna hot enough, and you dont need to shower anyway /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

jimd
03-11-2005, 12:17 PM
From what I am reading/hearing showering in the tipi is a pretty common practice. Not to mention somthing I really dont want to do out side of the TP when snow is on the ground.
And call me wierd(why not my friends do /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ) But bathing is just not something I can give up. I can/will/have given up pretty much anything/everything else at some point when out. But not bathing. I can sleep in a pile of poop, and it wouldnt phase me, as long as I can get clean once a day.
Its kinda like Patricks take on warmth. You take more cold if you can get really warm once in a while.....
Well, I can take just about anything as long as I can shower once a day.

Kevin B
03-11-2005, 01:12 PM
jim, 5 foot 9.

Don't get me wrong about the 6. You can stand up fully. But there's little room to get any kind of "shower" above your head. You have plenty room to use a bucket or basin of some sort and give yourself a field purpose bath. I think the 6 man is a perfect 2 man tent giving standing room and tons of space for gear and wood. But at that, it's not a place you can walk around in. If you plan on more guys than that and want room for everyone to be up at one time, the 8 is the way to go. If your shower is a propane deal that'd indicate that you are on a car camp anyhow, and if that's the case, get the 8 or 12 for sure.

Still not 100% whether I'll get up the tent this weekend, but if I do, I'll post some pics.

jimd
03-11-2005, 02:07 PM
KB, Thanks again. I really appreciate the help. The "shower" is actually a ZODI campfire shower. Its like the propane deals, only uses a external heat source (campfire or hopefully a kifaru woodstove) to heat the water then you hang the bag and let gravity do its work.
I look forward to the pics, it does sound like an 8 man is the ticket. I am 6' even so from your description.....

Woods Walker
03-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Funny you guys are talking about showers I have been working on a hot water coil to hook up to a camel back type water pack like the new military MIWH (not issued yet I think). I just liked the idea of a hot water tank that is easy to carry. I bet it would make a nice shower. With the wood stove we have tons of heat to run the thing.

http://www.natick.army.mil/soldier/media/fact/food/miwh.htm

jimd
03-15-2005, 06:54 PM
That is basically the kinda thing I got.

Well, its all I moot point I guess. I pulled the trigger on an 8 man w/ large stove. Supposed to have it late April...... Can hardly wait /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Woods Walker
03-15-2005, 07:40 PM
ZODI campfire shower I may check that out. Save me the time makin' one of my own. How does it work? How hot does it get the water? I bet you could get a nice shower out of it. I was thinking of a shower for my paratipi. Yea I would be sitting down but so what. It's often over 100 in the shelter. I am also thinking about a 6 man or maybe an 8 however unless there is snow for my sled or I have buddies with me I would use the para. The only thing is that I would have to make a new copper coil to fit a smaller stove. How big is the coil on the ZODI? The whole concept of a heated shelter with a hot water shower that one man can carry is darn sweet!

rambler_wannabe
03-16-2005, 05:29 AM
Platypus makes a shower head that fits their bladders. Easy if you are already carrying their bladder.

You could make a hot water coil out of a few feet of 3/8 or 1/4 in flexible copper tube from HD, probably $5 worth.

Kevin
03-16-2005, 06:02 AM
Woods Walker, if you're bothered with condensation, taking a shower in your paratipi may not be a good idea.

jimd
03-16-2005, 04:45 PM
The coil is about 6-8" around but rambler is right about making your own if you want it smaller. The zodi is $50 and worth it if it works half as well as it looks like it will. (all just my opinion) It would be easy enough to make, if you wanted to try though. I would be happy to post detailed pics for ideas if anyone wants them.

MikeM
03-17-2005, 05:40 AM
jimd, glad to see you were able to pick one. Hard choice due to the wide selection and our own personal needs. When I got mine, I think it was April too. Promptly put it up and just had to sleep in it. That Xmas feeling. Should have waited until I sealed it but... A thunderstorm that night put a real wet damper on things. Guess I tend to learn the hard way. After that I spent some time in the back yard and short week end trips. Helped to learn about condensation, rain, and the heat of the sun. Good luck.

Woods Walker
03-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Kevin, I am not bothered by condensation in the least. I mean last yearís condensation was frozen. Maybe itís the wood I am burning I donít know but I have tried to get that tipi dripping a lot and it just does not happen in the winter. I have tossed snowball after snowball on the stove. Boiled water. Dumped water all over me (nice when it is 17 outside). Some condensation on the walls but nothing that I worry about. Most of the time my stove is cherry red and the pipe is red almost to the top. I just vent the tipi and soon with the heat dries my shelter out. Anyway I have a cover on my bag so whatís the big deal. Sometimes I get some water that dripped on me. Sometimes I brush up on the sides and get damp. I often wondered why people worry about it. Have we become that spoiled? Last year I froze my backside off. This year I am not worried about dripping water in a shelter that is over 100. I could see it being more of an issue during rain in spring or summer. I have used my tipi during snow and had some extra condensation but it just didnít bother me.

jimd
03-18-2005, 10:03 AM
WW
I am glad to hear you say that about condensation. That is the type of situation I was hoping for. If it does get bad I can always buy a liner later. I will find out this summer, there is a lake in Ontario that have been wanting to check out.