PDA

View Full Version : Paratipi drawbacks/negatives?

pointer
02-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Though I haven't used one yet, the paratipi seems like it would be the PERFECT one man backpack hunting shelter and will be getting one for just that reason.

However, experience/education has showed me multiple times that very rarely is there a one best solution for all situations. For example, while a .358 Win makes for a great thumper of elk in the timber, though it would work it may not be the best thing for pronghorn on the steppes. So, in your folks experience what are some things you'd consider negative about the paratipi? Also, are there places and or situations that you'd find a more conventional tent a better solution?

PS- I'm not starting this thread to be anti-Kifaru, just looking for more information and what to look out for. Pro and con type of things.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin
02-25-2005, 04:30 PM
The only drawbacks I have seen are typical of any floorless tent.

Mice and other critters use your place at night, and are damned noisy crawling over your sleeping bag. But it's warmer than the outside. I beat that by bringing a bag of potato chips...(light) and putting a quantity of them, busted up, about 20 feet from the tent.

Other people don't like getting a little sprinkle on them from condensation. And that's all I've ever gotten, a sprinkle. I don't mind it.

For summer, warmer weather camping, there's nothing wrong with a standard tent. The paratipi excels when you're at the fringe or where you're saving ounces. If you're car camping, that's not an issue.

Bear in mind, I grew up in South Texas, snake and bug heaven, and never camped in a tent with a floor until I was 23. So, perhaps my experience is different than most. I didn't sleep in a tent in Colorado until my third year here, preferring just to pitch my bag outside with no cover, or a nylon cover if it was raining.

copper
02-26-2005, 05:55 AM
I have a 4man and am still researching an even smaller, lighter weight option for the warmer weather. I suppose that a tent with a floor wouldn't hurt in warmer weather, but Kevin hits the nail on the head about fringe areas. Other than costs savings (which is often key), it makes less sense to have a shelter that can't provide heat to extend it's use. Actually, longer season capability=more use=better spent bucks anyway.

The other reality is that the paratipi is less weight regardless of the stove than nearly anything else out there.

Not owning a para, but having a 4man, I estimate a few drawbacks to be:
-Less wiggle room, if you need it.
-less room for long supplies of dry wood.
-less ability to accomodate additional guests.

These "drawbacks" are all easily overcome in one way or another, and are really relative to other tipi's; not other tents.

More and more, I am beginning to think that comparisons between Kifaru tipis and other tents are so apples to oranges it only offers a skewed evaluation. The stove destroys the ability to compare to most tents, and then you have to factor in durability, build quality, service, weight, etc.

Dave R.
02-26-2005, 06:28 AM
Copper....I have standard weight 4 man...For a solo camp its a little heavy....but, I almost always have another person with me. I have soloed, but I generally have a partner. When two or three split the burden, its a breeze, especially when you consider that you don't have to bring any fuel cans or cooking stoves. You probably have an ultralight, so its even better. I have camped many times with three adults the tipi two with heads at one door one sleeping sideways along the back door...plenty of room for everything. Like you, I would like to have the para for solo trips....my ideal set up would be the 4 man, the para, and a 12 for my family camping...I also want the tarp for my survival kit. I will carry that when I leave my four man to hunt for the day...Dave

copper
02-26-2005, 11:46 AM
I agree about 2-3 tipis being ideal for the toolbox; the 6man really throws a wrench in the works. The cost of three rigs is prohibitive, as well.

At any rate, Pointer asks a good question regarding pros and cons. I just think if he/she is investigating a new shelter, it is easier to weigh the pros and cons as tipi/tipi, or tent/tent. Otherwise, the water gets pretty muddy as the only comparative values then are cost and weight.

Yeah, Pointer, after re-reading your thread, I think you are looking for a solo rig. Paratipi is a better investment than any floor tent. It is lighter, stronger, just as easy to set up, more extendable use seasons with the "optional" stove. If you accept this, the cons are it is considerably more expensive than most floor tents, and many people have concerns about moisture management in single wall designs. There is rumor of a liner option soon, which would alleviate this, but drive up the cost.

At the end of the day, cost issues seem to dissapate against the increased versatility and longer expected lifespan. Believe me, I racked my brain a long time before I broke down and bought one-still the best investment I ever made.

Ken
02-26-2005, 12:22 PM
pointer- I have mulled over the paratipi for a long time. I have yet to come across anything that looks as light and bombproof. There are design that are as rugged looking, but they are heavier. There are tents as light, but tend to be fragile and or lacking the space provided by a PT.

There is something to be said for the clean design, no guyouts etc... and the PT has got to be as windproof as any tent out there with the ability to sleep two.

Toss in the stove option and it's all over with as far as I'm concerened...

As far as the downside...I can't think of anything other than what these other fellows have already touched upon...sorry...

Greer
02-26-2005, 05:07 PM
Pointer, I was in the same boat as you at one point and couldn't decide about a new shelter among the many options. I own and now have stored an expedition 4 season and an ultralight 3 season. Once I bought my Para I never went back. As for being a a solo hunting rig I do use it for that but I also use it as my main shelter on whitewater canoe trips, Backcountry hiking Winter ski/icefishing trips.. The paratipi is one of the most versatile rigs I have ever used and will accomodate 2+ a dog and has been known to accomodate 3+dog. If I could offer one bit of advice it would be to buy a Paratipi because you will marvel at what you have been missing in the woods. Since you asked about negatives I can't even add one other then the fact that I never discovered this type of shelter until a year and a half ago

pointer
02-28-2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the info guys! Basically, I'm sold on the idea and was just 'fishing' to see of there were some things/situations that I have considered. The PT will be for my solo and possibly partnered hunting trips. I'll get either a 6 or 8 man for family and other less weight critical trips. Thanks again fellas.