PDA

View Full Version : idaho tipi

dw
02-16-2005, 09:15 PM
After spending last night under a tarp in 16 degree weather on the riverbank (sans stove), I am really interested in getting a kifaru stove/tipi system and need some advice on sizing:

I'm a guy with a 'go light' mentality who does alot of solo fishing/hunting trips (sometimes one other person), usually as a basecamp out of a truck or short hike, although I also fish the alpine lakes out of my backpack after the snow melts.

To complicate things, I've got a wife, 2yo daughter, and another on the way that I want to get out to the woods with me in comfort (so they'll want to do it again and again!).
No, I can't afford a paratipi and an 8man!!

Is a 6man a good compromise or will I wish I went up or down one size?

Anyone got a tipi near Boise I can check out??
Any comments welcome.

-dw

Kevin B
02-16-2005, 09:36 PM
For the wife and daughters... you'll be wanting the 8 or 12. I have the 6. 6 is a great 2 guys, or 3 guys if they're real friendly. But the weight you're carying is most of the 8 already but the 8 has real elbow room. It'll mean you have far more tent that you'll be wanting to haul on a solo for 5 miles in... but if you are with others or the fam the 8 is the ticket.. of course once you've pretty much ruled out using it as a solo tent, may as well do the 12, unles the places you take that young fam will be hard to find a foot print for it.

Hard to go both ways, svelt for solo and big for the fam. No matter you'll love the tent, you just have to trade off weight for space so what gets higher priority, fam use or hunt/fish use?

rambler_wannabe
02-16-2005, 10:42 PM
I would probably go with the 8 man and med. stove. You will want to have as space to keep the kids away from the stove as you can.

carry the stove with your tarp (or add a paratarp) when you go solo. not bad weightwise if you go with the medium stove.

Ken
02-17-2005, 08:02 AM
dw- Since you mostly short hike or truck camp for hunting, I would say an 8 with a med. stove would be a good choice. I also agree with RW on the issue of extra room around the stove with little ones.

The 6 man would only save you 1 1/2 lbs, and a bit of pack space. If you routinely packed 5 miles in to hunt alone, the 6 would be better for the do-it-all application. Given your situation, I'd opt for the 8.

et
02-17-2005, 09:47 AM
dw, I have a 12 man, wife and two kids use it as a camper. Send me a personal message and we can see about meeting. I am just up the road in the Wood River Valley. You should be able to get an idea on the space you would have with 8 man. You will get to play with a large and a small stove. et

Ken
02-17-2005, 10:32 AM
et- You run a small stove in a 12 man?

et
02-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Ken, I sewed astove jack into my old Mega Mid for solo hunting. et

Dave R.
02-17-2005, 03:39 PM
ET...can I email you too to ask some questions about a 12 man and camping with kids??

Dave...piano@fast.net

dw
02-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks for all the advice folks, real helpful. I'm definitely leaning towards an 8-man and med stove now - let my little family sprawl out some...

rijrunr
02-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Hi, just curious, do you guys solo back pack hunt with 6-man?

Kevin B
02-18-2005, 11:14 AM
rij, I did a solo last year in the 6. Fully loaded, in fact over loaded, 65 lbs or so. I think the 6 is doable as a solo with a couple caveats. It works best if; you can keep terrain and distance modest. If you can eliminate all but the most necessary gear and last, if you can spike in some of your goodies (tent stakes, water etc) in advance so that you aren't hauling them both directions.

Where I'm going with the 6 this year it's not practical to do it solo, distance is about 6 miles, elevation gain 3000 feet in the first 3 miles. I'm going with a buddy AND spiking some gear in early. I wouldn't hessitate to use it in more modest country where distances for multiple trips aren't as big an issue. If you were out early and didn't need the stove and had lighter clothing (september archery maybe?) and if you could cut a pole from trees on hand you could cut weight down. I think the 6 is the perfect 2 man set up. If I were thinking 1 man for half or more of the time, I'd go 4man and small stove. Big enough to do 2 guys but a little more managable for solos.

rijrunr
02-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Kevin B-
Thanks for the reply, that 65 lbs., was it on a LH?

rijrunr
02-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Next ? [sorry]- If you packed it on a LH could you get it all in the pack without useing accessory bags? 55lbs on my set up and I have to strap sleeping bag and tent to outside of pack

Dale Lindsley
02-18-2005, 01:57 PM
rijrunr: Remember, 35 pounds of beer doesn't really take up all that much space if you pack it carefully.

rijrunr
02-18-2005, 02:25 PM
We have a store in our little town that sells an amber colored liquid in a packable plastic bottle whose "kick -to-weight" ratio is far better than the beer they sell. Name escapes me at the moment - will post when it comes to me. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif