PDA

View Full Version : Patrick's Parka?

Chris57
02-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Hello Patrick,

I've been re-reading through some old post and essay's to hone my pack list. I noticed you mention a parka sometimes. Are you talking about just an outer shell? Something like one of Columbia's bugaboo's with a zip out liner or just a rain shell that you line with your snugpak? Enough of my guessing! Whats your parka? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Patrick
02-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Hi Chris--

I'm trying to recollect what I might have been speaking about. I know I loved the snug-around-the-neck/face jacket I designed myself quite a few years ago. It was windproof, and mildly water "resistant", with a very lightweight fleece liner. I forget the exact materials--it was so long ago. The primary virtue was the snug, nose high collar, which kept wind out of my torso, and warmth in. That principle is evident in other garments, at last, nowadays; my Snugpack "parka", jacket, shares it--which is why I replaced my utterly worn out old all-around jacket with it. Technically, the Snugpack IS a parka--has a sheer hood--which the old jacket didn't. But a good hat matched with the old jacket--like a Turtle Fur--was just about as effective as having a hood. In any event, I hope I've hit the mark here; I vaguely remember waxing rhapsodic about my beloved green jacket here on the message board a few years ago. The new Snugpack is a worthy replacement, for the record. And very lightweight--just like the original. Both garments worked quite well as insulators or as outer layers.

Chris57
02-14-2005, 07:34 PM
Patrick,

Thanks for the quick answer! I was just curious and wanted to be sure what you reccomended. With 150 nites out per year, you are the Guru!

Chris

Ralph
02-15-2005, 04:35 AM
I also like the high collar effect. My face has been frostbitten a couple of times and it hurts when it gets cold now. The high collar/hood, keeps a bubble of warm air around the face as well as closing off torso heat loss. I really like the cobra design hoods. One of the problems I always had with most hoods was the cutoff of peripheral vision that the cobra-style hoods pretty much eliminate. Shaping the hood adds to the cost, but I think this money well-spent.

My own all-round parka now is an EMS Goretex parka with zip-out fleece jacket-liner. Got it on sale for about $60. This was the second one. My older, well worn one (no liner) now lives in the truck as a spare for emergency/companion use.