PDA

View Full Version : Drop ceiling liner?

2nd wind
02-10-2005, 10:28 AM
hmmmm, How would a liner work that was designed to be a "drop ceiling" inside a large tipi? I'm thinking a design that would use a 2nd stove gasket. set it up in say the 8 man with plenty of head room to sit up in . use either a zipper or snaps to close the cone inner top. open this up when you want to stand up. use 1 or 2 tie up points so that the ceiling has a pitch to direct drips to the outside wall...
I'm woundering if this would allow good heat level with a lighter stove? perhaps some type of heat reflectant properties added to a ceiling liner as well?
John

2nd wind
02-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Please forgive the above spelling errors. Is there an edit post feature I'm missing here?
John

Sgathak
02-10-2005, 10:41 AM
edit is the icon with the little peice of paper with a pencil over it

Levi
02-10-2005, 10:54 AM
2ndwind, you gave this some serious thought. I especially like the part about the reflective material . I've found though that condensation is never much of a problem up around the cone area of the tipi. In our 4 man condensation usually forms on the bottom half of the tipi walls. This has been my experience using the tipi in here in MT, but certainly in higher humidity regions this may be a factor.

If I misread your design thoughts please disregard my post.

2nd wind
02-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Actually,I'm not to worried re condensation.... I'm more interested in not needing to buy a larger stove. I have a para tipi/ small stove. If this idea has promise I would only need to buy a longer stove pipe... Less weight and less overall expense???
The truth be told, the wind is howling outside here today and I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee. A good day for pondering.
BTW, I'm still not seeing the edit icon?
John

2nd wind
02-10-2005, 02:16 PM
Just pondered some more... How about using unzipped sleeping bags, extra clothing ect as attic insulation? Dry the gear out and have less heat loss at the same time...? leave the top of the door unzipped a bit as an attic vent...

Dale Lindsley
02-10-2005, 03:00 PM
2nd wind: on my computer screen, right above "unzipped" in your last post, is an icon of a sheet of paper and a pencil. That is the edit icon.

2nd wind
02-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks.... can't believe I missed it.

razorsharp
02-11-2005, 12:28 PM
2nd--There's no question that this would work. As with anything, its the tradeoffs that must be considered--extra material, weight, hassel, etc.
rz

MikeM
02-12-2005, 07:40 AM
2nd - sounds like a 4 man might be a better choice rather then dropping the ceiling on an 8 man. In good cold weather a medium stove in the 8 man gives you a lot of heat if you are prepared to feed it with small braches so everything is red hot.

steelyeyes
02-15-2005, 09:30 AM
I've found that the lower the level of the stove the lower the condensation line on the wall. I've even thought about shortening the legs on the stove to save having to dig holes for them but I didn't do it. As long as you have enough pipe it's worth a try. You'd obviously have to concern yourself with the surface under the stove so needles, etc. don't start burning or smoldering.

Leahy
08-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Nothing new canvas tipis and hide tipis had ozan's; a flap of material to trap heat near the floor. In a large tipi, one can stand under them easily.
I used one in a canvas tipi with a wood stove and it worked great.
Rob