PDA

View Full Version : new tipi purchase advice sought

sdyotehunter
02-07-2005, 09:40 AM
I am in the final stages of purchasing a new tipi. It will be the first one we own. I'm sure my questions are old hat to most of you, but I would like your input. Question 1...I camp with my two boys, our two dogs (curs) and occasionally one or two other people. I'm thinking the 8 man is the right size to go with along with the large stove. Any comments???
Question 2...much of our camping is done during spring and summer in the Black Hills of SD. How do you deep the hordes of ants out of your tipi? I'm thinking ticks and spiders will come calling, too. Have any of you experienced these problems? How have you dealt with them? Question 3...I've heard all the advantages of using these tipis. Can any of you forsee any disadvantages using the tipis in the situations I've outlined above? Thanks for your input!

razorsharp
02-07-2005, 10:05 AM
The 8 or 12 will work and both have pro's and con's. The 12 is bigger which you will appreciate especially with the dogs and extra bodies.
Just consider the 12 is more money, harder to heat, not as easy to backpack, and has a huge footprint.
The 8 is a good balance, I think. Alot depends on where and how you camp (pack-in, car camp).
When in doubt..go bigger.

Bugs? You can use a removable "floor" that can be tied up to the inside ties. Bug spray, repellent.
Probably not a problem until bed time and then sleepers could wrap themselves in bug netting.

Levi
02-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Never experienced any more problems with ants or ticks after I started using our tipi compared to our older, completely enclosed, traditional tent. We don't have the mosquito netting, but even with the zippers opened partially at night, have never experienced too many problems with them little buggers either. Wouldn't let it concern you if it was me.

As for the size, I agree with razorsharp that bigger is better. Yes there is a price difference between the 8 and 12 man, but if you consider the difference and divide it by the amount of years you'll be using the tipi, the cost is miniscule IMO.

Ken
02-07-2005, 05:21 PM
sdyote hunter- Alot depends on what you are looking for...If you want some room with that many occupants, go 12. If you don't mind some cozy-ness you could save some money, weight and pack size with the 8...

With two growing boys I'd get the 12 and then let them carry it when they get older...you will never notice the weight difference then. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Beats buying the 8 now, and then having to buy the bigger tipi later also.

Good luck.

sdyotehunter
02-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Razorsharp, Levi, and Ken,
Thanks for your input on my questions. Do all of you feel the 8-man would be too "cozy" for just my boys and I? Also, what size tipis do each of you have, and how many people do you use them with? Thanks!

Ken
02-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Nope... the 8 man and large stove(which I have...) is the cat's a...aaaahhhh...meow...for 3 and there gear. If you NEVER intend to do winter camping consider a med. stove. It will be easier to pack. Be carefull here though, as you might find that a winter camping trip with the tipi looks like a good idea, and for this, the large stove should get the nod as it will put out some serious heat.

Smackdaddyj
02-07-2005, 07:07 PM
As far as the bugs go in the SE (I lived there growing up and will be moving back soon) one thing that works really well is cutting up flea collars into 1/2" lengths and spreading them around the tent along the wall, evenly spaced. As far as mosquitos go, the coils work really well. They are cheap and light. Just my .02.

Smackdaddyj

Levi
02-08-2005, 06:51 AM
sdyote hunter, We have a four man tipi. It serves my wife, myself and our little mut quite well. I have been in an 8 man before though and no doubt it would fit you and your two boys. It's a nice tipi.

If I had to do it over again I would probably get two tipis. An 8 man for shorter backpacking trips, and the paratipi for longer, going leaner, trips. Don't get me wrong, I like the 4 man, but on winter trips when your spending 13+ hours cooped up in the tipi, it would be nice to be able to get up and move around in the 8 man.

razorsharp
02-08-2005, 07:00 AM
What they said. Again, depends to some extent on your type of camping.
But to answer your question...the 8-man would be ideal for the three of you'z.

MikeM
02-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Sdyote, got the 8 man with both medium and large stove. It's great for 4 men and their gear and would expect the same for your three plus the two dogs with room for wood. Read the threads on condensation for summer camping. Mike.

MikeM
02-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Sdyote, sorry for cutting that short, had to take off. For stoves, I get the most use out of the medium stove and just use the large one for winter camping. Medium does fine for me in the fall with the night time temps in the mid 20 (you may not have t-shirt warm but you can get it comfortable). It's your call, if get the large and tent gets too hot, just open the doors. Crawling bugs haven't been a problem for me even though we have our share of ticks and spiders in WI.

sdyotehunter
02-08-2005, 11:07 AM
Mike, thanks for the info. How much more space does the large stove take up compared to the small one? Or is it just a matter of weight difference?

sdyotehunter
02-09-2005, 09:39 AM
One last question....any recommendations on which color is best? I would like to know ANY pros or cons for either.

Kevin
02-09-2005, 09:44 AM
I like cb, it's darn near invisible in the woods. Others prefer white, so they can see it.

That's why my GPS is for.

Ken
02-09-2005, 10:03 AM
...what Kevin said...

does this help for size comparisons...

http://www.kifaru.net/images/stvtops.jpg

sdyotehunter
02-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Ken,
Yes it does. Thanks.

Ken
02-09-2005, 01:00 PM