PDA

View Full Version : Rattlesnake Canyon Rant!

Chris57
02-05-2005, 08:11 AM
Don't get me wrong it's a beautiful place, but here's my story.
Aprox 10-13 yrs ago I took my son and 2 nephews on an overnighter to RS canyon. They were all about 11-7 or 6 yrs old. My map showed an aprox 1-1 and a half mile hike, which I thought was plenty considering thier age.
Well we got to "a" trail head/parking lot, with a sign stating beyond was a wilderness area, and started out. We were walking down an old jeep trail, my map showed we should be going west, and we were actually going north. No biggy, a lot of maps, especially where trails and roads are marked are wrong (another pet pieve). Well after a good mile going north down a good jeep road with the topography all wrong we turned around.
We went back to my faithful Jeepster Comando (wish I still had it), and drove past the parklot/trailhead area. We drove aprox for 5 more miles to a second nicely made parklot, with logs for parking against, graded and all!
From here we made our planned hike and had a great time.
When back in GJ a few days later, I went to the BLM office, to ask, "what the hey".
They were very cordial, and told me it was OK what we did, and that they were in the process of trying to get this turned into a "wilderness area". I was fuming mad! Goverment gone a amuck!
Well since I moved away it seems I have read this is a "wilderness" area now, or is it?
I'm pretty sure stuff like this happens more than we know.
A trapper/coyote hunter friend of mine told me a similar story of finding a gated locked road in his regular stumping grounds. When he confronted the local officials which well knew him they told him no problem he could have a key! They were just trying to keep a little area set aside for locals (I assume meaning themselves). My friend was also rightly pissed and told them they shouldn't be keeping the people from thier own land.
If you got this far, thanks for listening.

Chris

PS: CCH seriously, hope you have a great trip!

CCH
02-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Chris, I think it is now officially a wilderness area but was previously designated "experimental wilderness". Whatever it is, it will have to hold off until March or so for me as my wife opted for snowshoeing while we still have the chance.