PDA

View Full Version : Best First Aid Kit

Boydo
02-04-2005, 04:37 PM
I am looking for a first aid kit. I would like it to be under 1 pound and have many of the essentials. I want it to be for 1 to 2 people, trip duration of 3-4 days, and maybe be very small. Also a budget, under $30. There are so many different brands and kits that I don't know which one to get. Thank you

eggroll
02-04-2005, 05:38 PM
CHECK out <a href="http://www.equipped.com" target="_blank">http://www.equipped.com (http://www.equipped.com)</a> for information regarding your question.

I use an Adventure medical WEEKENDER, but then again it will bust your imposed budget.

EGG

Spence
02-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Bottom line, most "kits" have something you don't need, and are missing something you do. I suggest making your own. REI has a great a la cart selection.

Siskiyous6.1
02-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Be nice to a nurse. It is amazing how much good stuff they will just give you if you have the right approach.

I personally feel the major need is for compression bandages to stop bleeding and support damaged joints or broken bones.

Other people carry more stuff, but less weight translates into fewer injuries IMHO.

Ralph
02-04-2005, 06:37 PM
The Adventure Medical kits are probably as good as any you can get in the pre-mades, but I agree that you are probably better off making your own. Most of the components you can get at the local drug store for a lot less than the kits cost. Look for the sample packages for things like aspirin.

Use the list from one of the larger Adventure Medical kits, then pare off what you think you wouldn't need. Double ziplock bags or one of the small pullouts make a good kitbag.

I don't have a complete list ready to hand, but I carry a GI wound dressing and a small Omniseal bag with other supplies (aspirin, decongestant, a few assorted bandaids - I like the flexible fabric ones - and a small tube of triple antibiotic.

The GI dressing provides means to control bleeding from a large wound, something most kits don't have. Much better than using a t-shirt or some such.

I also usually have a GI triangular bandage, useful for holding splints, arm sling etc. etc.

I have a much larger and better equipped medic's bag in the truck, but for the most part the little list above is all you really need to have around.

P.S. For some reason, people who carry first aid kits rarely have to use them - except to come to the aid of those who don't. I don't understand why this is true, but it is, in my experience.

Nevada Dan
02-04-2005, 09:20 PM
I'm with Ralph on this one, I've always made my one because the older commerical ones didn't cover my needs (like Spence said). Too much useless stuff and not enough of the important stuff. But I've been favorably impressed with the Adventure Kits (REI, etc.), as well as another modern brand (whose name I can't remember). Enough so that I bought my 20 something nephew one of the Adventure Kits And would hastitate getting one for myself (I'd still add a few other things).

elmbow
02-04-2005, 10:58 PM
I 2nd the get to know a nurse idea, also the military pressure bandage and cravat, a good dose of common sense and don't forget the Imodium :rolleyes:

copper
02-05-2005, 04:17 PM
Boydo, Just for comparative reseearch, roam around the Kifaru website and look for an essay on the possibles pouch. Patrick pretty much incorporated his med kit into this, but you can glean the medical stuff back out of it. Granted, it's more spartan than most of us would want, but it adds a few things too.

There is a part about gettig your doc to prescribe percosets; which at least here would never happen. I broke a few ribs recently and got vicoden. I sucked it up and went about five days without them; thus giving myself a 5-day field supply. Recommend another route; those five ddays sucked! Anyway, duck tape goes a long way; read the essay and modify at least some of your med kit to this, as tehn parts of your med kit will have dual use.

Ralph
02-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Re: getting prescriptions for emergency medications. It helps if you find a physician who is himself an outdoorsman. Our civilized brethern don't understand that you may be about 10 miles north of nowhere, where the local ER is a 2-day trek away. Once found, such a person is more likely to understand that a modest number of antibiotics and/or pain medication may be desirable to have on hand.

Boning up on the appropriate use of such meds helps as does demonstrating knowledge of emergency procedures. Once your physician understands you are not the local pill-popper looking for a fix, you may be able to get sample packs free as well as some good advice about situations you may not have thought about. The sample packs are usually ideal for carrying in kits.

If you use vials to carry loose pills, pack them tightly with cotton and seal with tape. The idea is to exclude oxygen. Most meds oxidize fairly quickly, which diminishes their value. Store at cool room temperature when not afield.

BrooklynBen
02-13-2005, 10:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by eggroll:
CHECK out <a href="http://www.equipped.com" target="_blank">http://www.equipped.com (http://www.equipped.com)</a> for information regarding your question.
</div></div>Thanks very much for the link EggRole. It's a virtual cornucopia of information to mine through.

BTW, I'm adding a packet of Quick Clot to my med kit for 3+ day hikes. IMHO I would think this stuff would be a constant 'quick access' standard for hunters, regardless of length of time in the field.

Ben

rambler_wannabe
02-13-2005, 07:51 PM
QuickClot should be quick access, especially for bow hunters. I also am going to add dermabond (superglue that is safe for skin).

My view is your FAK needs to fit into a cargo pocket (medium pullout or smaller), otherwise it is too easy to leave it behind. I learned this the hard way.

medic16
02-14-2005, 12:44 AM
Do you know anyone in the military? Usually the know a medic or two and could probably get you a dressing, some cravats, an ace wrap, and anything else you would like in the kit. They should be able to get some of the common meds like imodium, tylenol, sudafed, and stuff too.