PDA

View Full Version : 4 or 6 man tipi?

pike
01-28-2005, 05:14 AM
Would appreciate some feedback... I hunt alone 2+ miles in a walk in area in Colorado, Oct at 9000 feet... Other years I truck to another spot and camp out of the vehicle... My current tent weighs 6lbs 8oz plus my MSR stove and fuel. The 4 man tipi with small stove seems about right... but the allure of the new 6 man with move around room and a med stove is strong and for a 2 mile hump I think I could put up with the exta weight.... Any ideas?

Kevin
01-28-2005, 06:26 AM
Why not rent one and see what you think?

Smackdaddyj
01-28-2005, 08:08 AM
kevin--

You can rent Kifaru tents? Do you rent them straight from Kifaru, or are there people out there who buy them and then rent them to us. Please fill in the details.

Smackdaddyj

Gerard E
01-28-2005, 08:49 AM
Pike,
I have the four man tipi with medium stove and hunt with one other man. I would suggest a similar set up due to the fact you hunt alone. With the two of us, we have plenty of room in the four man, both for our gear, packs and stacked wood. Since you hunt alone, the four man would be more than large enough and the six man cavernous. If you thought down the line you may be hunting with one or more people, I'd consider the six man but for solo, it's over kill. I also hunt in Colorado and walk into my area. I admit I've wished I had more head room (four rainy days hunting Blue Grouse last fall) but for a solo hunter, the six seems too big. I would also recomend the medium stove. One can never have too much heat with less frequent re-fueling plus more stove top to work with. Hope this helps. Gerard E.

misterpatrick
01-28-2005, 09:19 AM
If you get the six man and you're in below 0F conditions I'd suggest the large stove with the 6 man. It's got the extra umf you need. I've had mine in -30F and was toasty.

pike
01-28-2005, 11:17 AM
--Kevin... Didn't know I could rent... which is a great option...
--Gerard E... That's great input... You know the deal... The tendancy is to buy too small in tents and boats... You hit the dilemma right on the head though, I was thinking down the road if I had buddies on a trip... But, the 4 man is mostly likely the best tipi that suits my over-all hunting style... thx for the help...pike

Ken
01-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Pike...how tall are you?

copper
01-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Pike,
I found that the bigger the tipi, the more real estate you have to heat. When the fires out it seems like that's more real estate that gets cold. I have the 4man/med combo and it works great. But often, when the weather isn't terrible cold, I wish I had the small stove; just to save a touch more weight and space. That said, I wouldn't trade my medium stove for a small stove considering it's increased capability.

Misterpatrick is right in that you wouldn't want to be without a large stove if you did get the 6man, at least for the cold stuff. But, I can't imagine carrying a 6man and large stove myself. Not that they are "heavy", just that they are "relatively" heavy for a solo operation. I can't do jumping jacks inside the 4man, but solo, there is so much room, I have never occupied it all. Pack and gear in one spot, ample wood supply in another, sleeping area, and I still haven't figued out what to do with the other HALF of the space.

The sst pins are pretty cool, consider them when you order.

Copper

pike
01-28-2005, 11:50 PM
Ken... I'm 5'9"...
Copper... Thx for your experiece... You make a good point in that hunts are either solo or group and each is handled different.... From what I gather, the med stove is a good trade off in capability verses packin size/wt... I'll take a look at the SST pins too... pike

Kevin
01-29-2005, 02:59 AM
Call Kifaru, you can rent from them for $50 per week. How they do it for folks out of town, I don't know. But the option is there to try before you buy.

Kevin
Call Kifaru, you can rent from them for $50 per week. How they do it for folks out of town, I don't know. But the option is there to try before you buy.

Kevin
And for what Pike is doing, I'd hustle in a paratipi, not the 4 or 6 man.

Ken
01-29-2005, 04:57 AM
Pike- The six man will give you some head room to move around and put clothes on.

The difference in packed size will not be all that great between the six and the four.

The medium stove will be alot easier to pack than the large. I have a large for my eight man, but will be getting a medium for warmer weather and solo trips. The large is nice as you do not have to cut the wood as short.

Kevin nailed it if you are only going solo and don't mind a little less space. I believe the whole Paratipi/stove combo will fit into the back pouch (+-1000 cu. in.)

Lot's of choices...and none of them are wrong...

Check out Patricks essay on "What I use..." He gives some great scenarios on what to expect of his gear.

Good luck.

razorsharp
01-29-2005, 06:04 PM
I'm finding that, "when in doubt", go bigger. If money is not the main issue then go with the bigger size--the few oz.'s, or even lbs. will be worth the effort and many of us can make up for the weight by reducing our bellies.

Shawn
01-31-2005, 06:34 AM
I've been using a 6-man and small stove up in NW MT for about a year now. The small has been adequate at low temps in the teens. The winter stays in the tipi are not T-shirt experiences, but are still very comfortable.

Just wanted to give you another perspective on the stove size.