PDA

View Full Version : 12 man tipi

huntinhick
01-26-2005, 03:59 AM
First I would like to thank everyone for the response to all of my questions, it seems like I have been asking alot. It is great to find a place to talk to other like minded people. I am sure my wife likes it too as she no longer has to listen to me talk about the outdoors to her all of the time. Second I would like to thank all for there suport of us (Navy) while we are deployed. Now for my question since we now have three kids we are upsizing our camping gear my wife is looking at tent trailers, I however am leaning towards a bigger tent (ie 12 man tipi) I know I saw a post on cots in the tipis but I can't find it so, how many cots can you fit in a 12 man if you are not using the stove? and if you are using the stove how many cots? the wife likes her comfort. and with her we will be car camping. and yes I am plotting against her the price of a 12man, para tipi and siwash pack come to less than we were talking about for the camper. Also if anyone has a better idea than the cots that offers a high level of comfort please let me know, the kids and I are fine with backpack pads but she is new to camping and gets uncomfortable quickly.

thanks

HuntinHick

Kevin B
01-26-2005, 06:28 AM
Apples and motor oil.

If sleep comfort is the only issue, that can be addressed with large hunks of foam padding many inches thick that you can buy many places or a good air mattress.

My guess is that like my wife the comfort factor goes much, much farther. Running water. On and off button for heat, porta potty, propane cook top, FLOOR, soaps, complete cookware set and where appropriate, electricity. My wife in particular wants those things for the little uns.

My wife finds a hotel 6 spartan. I'll have her in a tipi rarely, no double entendre. Thank god my buddy bought a tailer so I'm not out the 4g's and insurance/storage. So I can use his and have the tipi. I suggest you analyze the real desire of your partner to go camping in any fashion. The expense associated with a tent trailer is too great if after getting it you put it to 2 uses a year. You're better off renting or just going to hotels near places you want to be. If she loves the outdoors and would go plenty, in a certain "style".... Get the trailer. Don't forget the tipi. But in my experience the Fam experience has to come first in order to pave way for the high end stuff that really is for me and, oh by the way, them too.

Next for me either 12 or the 1st orderer of a 16. Of course, I have to paint the house, add more patio in back and do much landscape before I've pooled enough + marks to pull it off.

Dale Lindsley
01-26-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm no expert on wives (only having experience with one) but I'd say , get the camper. Tipis are spartan to any one but a backpacker. Anything you do that makes your family enjoy the out of doors more is a good investment.

MikeM
01-26-2005, 03:25 PM
Kevin B, that is darn right mean how you burst Huntinhick’s bubble. First knock the man down and then drop the tent on him. Do you want to derive the poor fellow from all the wonderful conversations with the better half while sitting in the tipi? Things like: Is that a mosquito? Are you sure nobody can see us? How do you know a snake won’t come in?

On the serious side there’s a whole lot of wisdom in Kevin’s reply. Huntinhick you might want to make a list of what you want to do outdoors and then prioritize the list and buy whatever works the best for the item at the top. Maybe you can save enough on a used trailer to sneak a tipi in for you and the kids! BTW I had one of those tipi talks with my wife and her response went sort of like this: “you get the tipi but you better find a cabin for me”. Mike M.

Bob
01-26-2005, 03:54 PM
My wife won't be in the tipi.City girl.Thinks i'm nuts..Missing out.Her choice.

elkhuntingfool
01-26-2005, 04:45 PM
Buying a trailer was the best investment we've ever made. Of course, we bought it used so I only dropped 4k for it - six years ago. We don't camp as much as I would like, but that's how it goes.

Getting my wife into a tipi or even a tent is like her trying to get me to do x-mas shopping the day after Thanksgiving - just not going to happen.

However, my boy (my only boy and 3 girls) and I love the outdoors and don't mind sleeping in a tent, tipi, back of the Expedition, etc... but my daughters think it's disgusting to do that. Wonder where they get that from.

I'm hoping that this year my trailer will be the base camp for our many hunting trips that WILL (emphasis on the WILL) take place from mid-August to late October.

huntinhick
01-27-2005, 12:03 AM
Hello,

I agree that a camper can make camping a lot more comfortable, my only concern is that my vehicle will only tow 1500 lbs. and the wife's will not do much more that that. both are pretty new and we don't plan on getting rid of them, had to sacrifice power for mileage since I have a almost 90 mile one way comute.. we have found 2 places that make campers in the 500 to 1000 lbs range and they are sparce, one is just a large bed with floor and tent over it not bad of one or two people but with the kids we would have to get the add a room and cots. the other is more like regular tent trailers, it is pretty much striped, but it does have a table and chairs and two beds plus the table and chair fold down to make a bed. so I am not sure it is worth shelling out the money if I can do the same thing with a tent and a screen room. my wife's reason for the campers was less gear to load and the raised beds. I am considering going for the second camper it is from quick silver and it does look comfortable...and as you have said it is about her comfort level and with the kids and my schedule it would be easier to just drag the camper out and most of my hunting for the next couple of years (until I get back to shore duty) will be weekend hunts and I can do that using the camper!! sounds like the camper might be the best way to go. My daughter and I bivy on our overnighters anyway and we can still use the camper as a base for that.

Thanks for the help I do have a issue with being a gear junkie, and need to be talked down sometines..

so I guess this has turned into "anyone now of any light weight campers they would recommend for a family of 5"

Huntinhick.

rambler_wannabe
01-27-2005, 12:27 AM
I've been through the "comforts of home" issue with my wife--we lived in a Morton building for 6 months while our house was being built--no utilities. Generator, hauled in drinking water, campstove, outhouse--strange mix of hightech and redneck. She is a saint, but that's another story.

The biggest thing that gave us that comfort feeling was a Coleman "hot water on demand"--it is a propane fired water heater with a rechargeable water pump. Get the shower attachment and you are in business.

It would be extremely hard to get a camper and gear for 5 under 1500 lbs. Best option IMO would be to spend the money on a tipi, the key car camping gear, and a cheap trailer set up like boy scout troops use to carry their gear.

Kevin
01-27-2005, 06:15 AM
I'd vote for the tipi with stuff, but you can get a used mini-motorhome for about $3500-$4500 if you look, and then you camp in the tent for your hunting trips.

Ed T
01-27-2005, 06:31 AM
I am pretty lucky in the wife department as it was Deb that suggested we leave the city and move to our cabin. Off the grid, with no electric or phone. Heat with wood and have in the winter, a three mile ski or snowshoe everyday to the truck for the commute to work and then three miles back to the cabin at night

She also can pitch a tipi as quick as I can and is a deadly shot with her Taurus .41 mag. We have spent many nights out sleeping under the stars and spent three weeks living in the 8 man tipi while we were evacuated due to fires.

Now if we could figure a way to only come to town ocassionally for supplies. But then I would need satalite internet so I could keep track of the message board. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Ed T

snakey2
01-27-2005, 09:03 AM
My wife has no probs. sleeping in a tent but she hates cots (can't snuggle up next to the "burnin' log" (me) in a cot). The solution was a queen size air bed with a heavy double sleeping bag on top. Very comfortable and warm, takes up about as much room as two cots. Inflate in mins. with a little electric pump. Don't know how it would fit in a tipi but it might influence the lady to try. For non-backpack type trips we pack most ot the comforts of home into a 4x6 utility trailer that I can easily pull with my little 4 cyl. easy-on- gas pick-up or can pack it all into the 4x4 bed. She likes it and it also works well for four guys in a truck camp.

rambler_wannabe
01-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Ed T--you are a VERY lucky man.

Sawtooth
01-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Ed,

Sounds like we have similar living conditions, only I could drive to my cabin. Well, most of time, unless the snow got over 4 feet! This was home for a good number of years, until I finally got married, and we had our girls. We finally had to move closer to town with the kids, but even now our 36-acre "postage stamp on the map" is the smallest piece of dirt I've ever owned!

http://www.hunt101.com/img/246514.JPG

PS: I hope you don't think I'm trying to hijack the thread, but I couldn't help but think of our old cabin, as I read about yours.

huntinhick
01-30-2005, 12:08 AM
hello,

Sawtooth, I love the cabin looks like it was perfect! but as I have also found out kids do change the rules. Anyway I do have a small utility trailer 4x5, to tow behind my little vitara, my daughter and I plan on rebuilding it this spring and makeing it a little more user friendly to include a luggage rack and tie downs for a small boat/kayak and a chuck wagon style box to carry all of the kitchen stuff in. maybe even a fold out shelf of somekind to hold the propane stove. who knows we will see how it goes. So I am thinking 12 man tipi again (unless Patrick brings out the 16 man) so anyone out there had 5 people in it? I am just looking for a little more info to push me over the edge and make it worth while to pitch it to the wife. with the tipi being so water proof/air tight? I am thinking that propane lanterns would not be a good idea unless you have the door open a bit, am I right about that? and for really cold weather and lots of stove use with 2 to 3 people should I get the liner? Our current tent is a simple dome that is just big enough to put our 3 foam pads in side by side, the pads are 3x7 I believe. And the wife's only complaint with it is size, we have two more kids now and it would be real tight.

boy I think I did a 50 mile ramble on this post!!

Huntinhick