PDA

View Full Version : No Floor in South Texas

McNiece
01-24-2005, 12:18 PM
I am looking at purchasing an 8-man Tipi. I will be camping in (3) primary settings. The Texas coast, the banks of the Guadalupe River and a South Texas Brush Country Ranch in all seasons. I understand the advantages of no floor, but what about snakes, scorpions, crabs, etc.? Has anyone had experience in these regions they can share?

Matt in AK
01-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Let's go huntin' and I'll show ya.

Seriously, sometimes I just pile up a little dirt at the bottom so the critters can't crawl under. That said, however, you're stuck with the ones you set the tent right on top of...but it's not been an issue.

Smackdaddyj
01-27-2005, 03:58 AM
I don't have extensive use with Kifaru's tipis, but I have used floorless tents a lot in the military, and Matt has it right. If you want to seal the bottom, just pile a bit of dirt around the bottom and nothing will come in, that said don't forget to shake your boots out in the morning...you never know what was in there before you sealed the tent. I would also recommend shaking out your sleeping bag at night in those areas. We had lots of fun with Camel Spiders and Scorpions in Afghanistan.

Smackdaddyj

vantexan
01-27-2005, 08:00 PM
A few years back I read a tip that was in a camping magazine. To keep bugs out buy a flea collar, follow instructions to activate it, then cut into small portions and set them around perimeter of tent. May need several with a 12-man. I've never tried it but sounds good.

Kevin
01-27-2005, 08:42 PM
I camped in SoTx until I moved to Colo.

The only problem I ever had was a skunk that went into the tent when I was asleep. My father was sure I would sneeze and get sprayed.

I never slept in anything but a Whelen tent or an open floor Army tent. Or just a sleeping bag out in the open. Never, ever, ever had a snake problem..sample size was hundreds of nights.

FWIW, the risk is overrated. There are a lot of bugs, but it's not that big of a deal.

Kevin
01-28-2005, 06:28 AM
And mosquito netting for you and your bag (check REI's catalog on line) is cheap