PDA

View Full Version : This Will Work

vantexan
12-18-2004, 12:33 AM
If I put one of these on my vans roof:

http://members.shaw.ca/nobid/index.htm

I can then cut a hole in its roof that I can place the center pole in. If it's positioned far enough to the right side I'll have plenty of room while the tipi will come down against the left side of the van. At least I hope it'll work that way! Bear with me Patrick, I'll be able to buy in a few months. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

A question about tipi color: Will the Coyote Brown really heat up the interior in the AZ sun? I like both, but the brown is really cool. I'm betting the white will keep things cooler though. Also, if you have a white tipi with an interior light at night, do you cast shadows on the walls? Not looking to give a free show in a campground when using the porta potty!

Wade

Patrick
12-18-2004, 08:27 AM
Wade--

On thinking about this I now believe the only chance for a fit of your whole van is the not-yet-produced 16 man. This, because of the length of the van at the 6' level. Too long for the 12 man. I'm not even certain about the 16, but next time I have it pitched I'll measure the diameter inside at the 6' cross section. Also will measure how long my own van is at that height.

The fabric is so sheer I can't detect much heat difference between colors. And BOTH will reveal nightime silhouettes quite readily. Which may kill your whole project if you intend campground use.

vantexan
12-18-2004, 07:13 PM
I went and measured my van. Just over 14' long, mine being 2wd is 5'11 high, its roof is 8'11" long at its highest point. I was hoping with its sharp sloping nose it would accomodate the 12 man. Just occurred to me that if the tipi is tight against the ends how would I use the tipi's doors? I can set up an inner area for porta potty private use. So how big is the 16 man?

Patrick
12-18-2004, 08:28 PM
vantexan--

Ok, we are now on the same page. I don't know how big the 16 man is at the 5' 11' level because I've not needed to know that. I'll know eventually. And will let you know.

elkhuntingfool
12-21-2004, 09:47 PM
Try this one....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16041&item=5145674 930&tc=photo

jmellis
12-22-2004, 10:24 AM
OK,

I'll probably get flamed for this but I have to ask....Why would you spend some major bucks for a 16 man tipi to cover your van? Does your van leak? Is it scared of the dark? Does it get cold when left outside? Sorry about the sarcasm but it just seems a little silly.

If you suspend a light near the peak of the tipi and then sit/stand near the center pole you don't cast a shadow or a very small one on the walls. This might take care of the "show" problem.

vantexan
12-22-2004, 07:38 PM
Well where to start? Like you I really like the Kifaru tipi. I like that, unlike most tents designed to be used with a van's side door, it isn't heavy or bulky and ca be set up quickly. I'm more into traveling than hunting, and would like to stand up outside the van in a campground without having to get dressed for the neighbors. A tent which would allow me to access the upper cargo box as needed without having to go outside would be ideal. I'm curious, how much do you have invested in your guns? Truck? All the extra little gizmos you use to maximize your hunting pleasure? I've got $1675 invested in my Toyota, not counting the newly rebuilt transmission. No payment. If I see a good way to make the tipi work for me considering I've spent alot less than you on toys(I bet I have!) then what exactly are you concerned about? Besides, my widdle Toy Van gets so scared next to the big RV's! Pardon the sarcasm...

Wade

jmellis
12-23-2004, 05:49 AM
Wade,
OK...that makes a bit more sense. Maybe a good seamstress or upholstery shop could make a silnylon "tunnel" or some kind of awning to connect it to the door on the van. You would still be able to use the van and have all the floorspace for the tipi available.

I don't think you're Toy van is scared. The big RV's are just jealous. With the money you saved you can actually afford to go on vacation....... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Just a thought,

vantexan
12-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Asked Patrick about the tunnel/sleeve idea in a previous thread. He's got a Toyota too and had tried to rig something up but said it just wouldn't work. Someone mentione cartop tents to me and it turns out that Lofty Shelters, a cartop tent seller, has a side tent that I can use for $600. It will allow access to the cartop carrier. No, it won't be as stable as the Kifaru in the wind, but it'll work. Sorry Patrick, I really don't want to go any bigger than the 12-man but I'll probably order a 6-man some day for real camping. Thanks for the good advice!

rambler_wannabe
12-25-2004, 03:21 PM
Let us know how the lofty shelter works. I looked at a couple of their designs to put on top of my truck (on the ladder rack) or regular cargo trailer to make it into a camper. I gotta have mulit-use gear for everything.

vantexan
12-26-2004, 10:50 AM
I'm just getting a sidetent from them but their tents are very interesting. If you're in an area with rattlers, scorpions, and cactus a rooftent makes sense. Or in Florida with bugs everywhere.