PDA

View Full Version : Tipi Question

elkhuntingfool
09-16-2004, 07:32 PM
I read in a thread somewhere that a Tipi might not be the best solution for a warm weather trip/hunt. I've heard of temps inside the tipi ranging from hot to unbearable.

I am planning a backpack hunt - at least 7 days - sometime in Sept 05 - elevation of 7,000-10,000 ft, and I am guessing - very educational guess, that the daytime temps near 70-75 and nighttime around 50-60.

So, my question - will the tipi be a heat box or will we be okay. I'm planning on buying the six man with medium stove.

Thanks

Kevin
09-16-2004, 07:41 PM
Bear in mind, in Colorado at least, it may rain for a good part of that.

I have a paratipi, and have hunted this year with both the paratipi and the 12 man.

The 12 man, with two doors, was excellent, no matter what the weather, as you could get a good breeze in it. The paratipi gets toasty if you don't pitch it in the trees. Last weekend, I had to pitch it in the open, and yes, I could have cooked. Instead, I napped in the forest.

I would not hesitate one bit with the six man and two doors. Just vent it, and you'll be pretty darned happy, or run the stove and dry out your stuff.

But...in the middle of the day, should you be in camp or out chasing bambi?

Sawtooth
09-16-2004, 07:45 PM
ehf,

I think a baking tipi is a non-issue. Granted, I don't own one, but I spent a few days in one at the Rondy. We had Patrick's "extra large" stove ripping, and all we had to do to cool the tent down was open the handy vents and/or open the doors. No problem. And in a hunting situation, you won't be in the tipi during the middle of the day anyway, so who cares how hot it gets. I'm not sure where you're going to hunt, but September in Colorado at 10,000 ft. elevation will get you normal daytime highs around 60-70 and lows around 25-35, with extremes always possible. Temps may differ in other locales.

Kevin
09-16-2004, 07:51 PM
They do get hot at noon, but so does every other tent I have ever owned. Big deal, spend noontime on the mountain, watching game trails. I have killed half my elk at noon or near that time.

Reid
09-17-2004, 11:16 AM
No Problem. Get the 6man and enjoy it. The temps may be hot during the day and fall off at night. And if it rains you will be happy to have the stove for sure.

I was just out hunting in my 4 man and during the day it was real hot and dry. so just open up the doors if you are in camp for a sleep. But a few days later it dumped rain and snow for 2 days. Then it was back to the so hot you can't take it. That time of the year at 10,000 you never can tell what will happen. Should be hot but could be nasty.

6 man is a super deal. Wish I had one.

Good luck!

Scoutin' Wyo
09-17-2004, 11:28 AM
Don't forget that you can remove some of the stakes and roll up the lower portion of the tipi. That helped me out once. I still beleive these tipis are more versatile than a standard dome tent. But that's just my $.02

Brian R.