PDA

View Full Version : A couple more stove and tipi questions

Piolet
08-26-2004, 04:09 AM
Would anyone with experience please comment on the size of stove that seems to be best suited for the four man tipi (probably with liner). I see the ad says either the small or medium stove is OK, but I'd like to hear what users think. On one hand, I don't want to undersize and wish I had more, but then I don't want to have a stove that's way overkill for the tent size.

Another stove question concerns using the stove for cooking. Do folks find that the stove give sufficient heat on the top surface to do a decent job of cooking food/boiling water, or do you recommend also carrying a small propane type MSR/Coleman/whatever single burner camping stove to use for cooking? thanks

Shawn
08-26-2004, 06:29 AM
Where are you going to be using it?

I picked up a 6-man (no liner) and small stove in early Feb. Have been using it all over NW montana, and have had it out in below freezing and the small stove has kept the tipi more than comfortable. In fact, with the 6-man all sealed up, it get uncomfortable pretty quick in the tipi.

Condensation has only been a problem in the morning, but the stove takes care of that pretty quick.

Takes about 20 minutes to boil a litre of water with my set-up.

I wouldn't mess with the gas stove, why spend 200 bucks on an awesome wood stove if you are gonna carry a stove and fuel up?

copper
08-26-2004, 09:25 AM
piolet,

I have a 4man/medium. The setup is incredible but if I could do over again, I would have picked up the small stove. They don't put out all-night heat regardless of size, but they do put out a ton of heat when they are running. I'm sure a small stove would do the trick for a pound less.

Good luck,
Copper

James H.
08-26-2004, 09:51 AM
Piolet

I have a 4 man/small stove combo without liner. I have found it needs near continuous feeding with small sticks to produce enough heat to boil water and it takes a very long time compared to any kind of standard backpacking stove. It throws off a lot of heat but it doesn't seem to transfer heat very well. However, I haven't given up on it yet.

I recall someone on this site talking about altering the stove with a hole in the top so that a pot full of water can be set down into the stove for direct flame to surface transfer. I may try that someday but not just yet.

My advice is to carry a small gas or propane stove until you feel confortable cooking with wood.

Gerard E
08-26-2004, 08:46 PM
Piolet,
I have the four man tipi and medium stove. I like this set up. Cooking is slower compared to a gas stove but the extra time is spent relaxing. I cut and split wood for the stove and once a good bed of coals is going, I can reduce the feed rate and somewhat moderate the temperature. Splitting the wood definately helps it burn better. I also have water on the stove for the morning breakfast, it takes ten to fifteen minutes to cook oatmeal and or coffee. I've had it roasty in single digits during hunting season. Good Luck

Rusty Hook
08-26-2004, 11:10 PM
For those who would be interested: If you want to speed up your water boiling times significantly, Primus Litech Coffee/Tea Kettle 16.95, Item 684296 @ REI will do it...Rusty.
<a href="http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&amp;catalogId=4000008000&amp;. .." target="_blank">http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&amp;catalogId=4000008000&amp; (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&amp;catalogId=4000008000&amp;. ..)...</a>

Rusty Hook
08-26-2004, 11:16 PM
Sorry, that didn't work. Just type Primus Litech Coffee/Tea Kettle in the search window and scroll down untill it comes up if you want to see what they look like and get dimentions and capacity...Rusty.

Macawber
08-27-2004, 01:11 AM
Buy the medium stove, I have a 4 man and it's the ticket. If you get a bigger tent I think it will do. If you really want to make this stove cook , use pencil thick size pieces of wood, it really gets hot, for cooking, no need to take a gas stove, if you use this size wood. The key too a hot stove is the thickness of the wood.

Two Elk
08-27-2004, 02:17 AM
All,
I agree on the medium stove for the 4 man. If you want a longer burn time (less feeding) the small stove would limit you. The biggest drawback would be in the evening where you are relaxing, yet trying to maintain an even temp in the tipi. You can cut/break your wood bigger/longer with the medium. Seems like the small would keep you too busy.

Gerard E. is right on with the relaxing part while you are cooking in the warmth of the stove. One trick for better boil times-pine cones. Get a pile in front of you before you start, feed 'em as needed and its like "cookin' with gas".

one-eyed Bob
08-27-2004, 04:31 PM
I have a friend who uses a few briquets of charcoal in his stove to make it last. They are hard to find in the wilderness, however.

djw
08-28-2004, 07:16 AM
Poilet,

I have been using four person Tipi with liner and medium wood stove for serveral years. The medium stove works great for the four person tipi. Depending on the weather or season might determine whether you carry a wood stove or gas stove. If it is hot I carry a light weight gas stove. If it is cold the wood stove works well, but does seem to take longer to boil water. I think some of that depends on the wood you are burning. Contact me if you are interested in buying a four person tipi with liner and stove pipe for a medium stove. Dennis

Levi
08-29-2004, 06:39 AM
Dennis, How much room do you give up on your four man when you put the liner in it? I have a 4 man tipi with the medium stove and it works great. However, have been thinking about getting a liner for them times of heavy condensation and downpouring rains. Thanks for advising.
Levi

djw
08-29-2004, 07:06 PM
Levi,
I would say just a few inches. The trouble I was having was wet ground and condensation on the inside. Seemed like every trip it had just stopped raining. The liner seems to have solved that problem and is much nicer on the inside.
Dennis