PDA

View Full Version : family tipi, which one?

koot
11-21-2004, 08:50 PM
I need some advice on tipi size.Of coures the tipi will mostly be used for hunting but it would also need to acomadate my wife and three kids.We all sleep in backpacking tents now so we wouldn't mind packing in.As for the hunting,there would be between 2-4 of us.The mountains of B.C. are steep so weight will be an issue.Hope to here from some of you with similar uses.thanks,Dave
P.S what about stove size?

imported_kutenay
11-21-2004, 09:05 PM
Hi, bud, if I were you, I would go to the 12 man with the large stove, especially for the late fall and winter. I was up at the top end of Santa Rosa last week and it was snowing pretty good, I have been using an old North Face VE whatever dome, but, as you know, the winds up there get pretty wicked.

I am going to buy an 8 man with large stove for my hunting base camp and this is for me alone or sometimes one other guy. I like the extra space on 5-15 day trips because you can stretch out, shower inside and read a book when it is too crappy weather to hunt.

Another thing is that, if weight is not too much of a problem, you can still use the backpacking tents as sleeping units and the tipi as a living-cooking space....like on jetboat trips up north, for example. With a couple of backpacking lanterns, the stove and a backpacking stove for quick cups of whatever, you are about as well equipped as needs be, without having to mess with some monster canvas wall tent. Works for me, I just need the cash!

koot
11-21-2004, 09:13 PM
last week I was up to 5-14,west of Bills Puddle and lots of deer seen and harvested.I will hunt there next year if I can find a good area to pack into .(lots of ranch land)I havn't even thought of the 12 man,but I'll give it a look.Canvas tents are great for the truck hunter but not much use after that.How did you do up my way?

snowdevil
12-02-2004, 09:55 AM
My two cents - we've used an 8 man for years now, and it is plenty big enough for 2 adults and 2 kids. We canoe camp, and have lots of stuff - which fits just fine inside. Good weight/size ratio, especially with the ultralight. A great playpen when weather's bad.. Maggie.

eric
12-13-2004, 07:31 PM
Hi Koot, I own a 12 man ultralight,camp with the wife and 3 boys and I personally would not go with anything smaller. Not sure how old your kids are and how much they can pack, my boys are 16,14,11, no shortage of packers,the old mans pack getts lighter every year.The only problem I encounter with the 12 man is finding places to put the tipi, it does have a big foot print.If you were to make it up to the Peace country you would be more than welcome to have a look at the tipi.

Eric

Rob
12-21-2004, 09:28 AM
Hey eric.any pictures you can share?Happy Holidays