PDA

View Full Version : Tipi pictures

OP
11-16-2004, 02:43 PM
It would be greatly appreciated if you guys could post more pictures of your tipis. I really enjoy looking at them. How about some of those cold weather stories to go along with them?
I'm buying a 4 man/medium stove early next month. I'm hoping your pictures and stories hold me over until then. {No I am not a dork} /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

copper
11-17-2004, 06:04 AM
I can't offer you pics, OP, but I hve the exact same setup as you are getting. It's a real simple design to setup, even if you are alone. But, it takes time and tons of practice to get "excellent" at it. Just going in your backyard and setting it up day after day will help you get good at setup-time and meeasuring. My mistake: my girlfriend and I have done most of the practice together. It's different when I solo out and she wasn't there. If you are doing this alone, praactice alone. If you have a partner, practice with the partner. Just keep the practice the same as the application. Don't let me make you think that the tipi is "hard" to setup. Actually, it's a piece of cake. But like all gear, there are little aspects that you want to be awarrre of in order to make it all easier. If the weeather is minutes from turning on yoou, you want to be able to put the thing up right, the first time.

You'll love it!
Copper

rambler_wannabe
11-17-2004, 06:23 AM
Cheat for measuring: tie a piece of cord onto the stake loop and put a knot at the right distance. You get the stake in the right place in seconds even in the dark.

Dave R.
11-17-2004, 11:50 AM
I use permanent marker on my aluminum center pole to mark the distances for my setbacks...this works great, but probably not as good as wannabe's "in the dark cords"....also every year or so you have to remark as the ink wears off a little bit.

OP....forget about the cold weather....if you are near fuel for your stove, you will never want for warmth whilst camping. Cruise the website for approximations of how various size stoves perform in cold weather....my tipi can get so hot at 15 degrees outside that I have to open the doors!! I tested it in my back yard at 5 degrees several winters ago, and I still had to open the doors!!

Dave

copper
11-17-2004, 06:35 PM
I may have you beat, Dave! I have every single durapeg marked with sharpie for setback points and my center poles are marked with a number and corresponding arrow pointing up to make sure it's right the firrst time!!

Then, I have a backup set of instructions laminated and stuck in my pack...just in case!

Patrick must think we are wimps. I think that as soon as we "humans" figure out one of his gizmos, he rolls out another. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

COGriz
11-18-2004, 08:32 PM
Hey OP, here are a few tipi pics for you. I remember before/after I bought my tipi, I also wanted to see more pics... lots of them. Unfortunately, Patrick doesn't keep many on the commercial site (not sure why?). Here ya go...

[6-man and paratarp]
http://home.comcast.net/~jkliden/wsb/media/310428/site1036.jpg

[6-man, CO, Fall Elk Hunt]
http://home.comcast.net/~jkliden/wsb/media/310428/site1037.jpg

[6-man, CO, Spring Turkey Hunt]
http://home.comcast.net/~jkliden/wsb/media/310428/site1038.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~jkliden/wsb/media/310428/site1039.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~jkliden/wsb/media/310428/site1040.JPG

[6-man, NE, Spring Turkey Hunt]
http://home.comcast.net/~jkliden/wsb/media/310428/site1041.jpg

[8-man (bear destroyed 6-man /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif ), WY, Fall Deer Hunt]
http://home.comcast.net/~jkliden/wsb/media/310428/site1042.jpg

COGriz
11-18-2004, 08:36 PM
Patrick, I can see how a 'tipi photo book' page on your commercial site would be valuable for new and existing customers. Apparantly our chat thread from this spring about 'how you (Patrick) use your equipment' was a valuable addition to the site... I would think the 'photo book' would be as well! Just a thought...

BeaverTrapper
11-18-2004, 08:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Patrick, I can see how a 'tipi photo book' page on your commercial site would be valuable for new and existing customers. Apparantly our chat thread from this spring about 'how you (Patrick) use your equipment' was a valuable addition to the site... I would think the 'photo book' would be as well! </div></div>I agree 100%. I will be buying a tipi in the future. I have carefully studied the photos on the website, posts on this board, and ordered the printed catalog. None of that compares to the pictures posted above as far as conveying to me the relative size and space of a particular size tipi. The photo above showing the chair inside the tipi provides a frame of reference for a scale that everyone can relate to ( a chair). Suddenly, with one glance, it gives me an absolute idea of just how big a six man is as far as height and internal size. Looking at that pic, I can envision myself sitting in that chair, warming by the stove, getting dressed, etc. I can't envision myself doing any of that when I look at the 'dancing stick man' diagrams in the catalog.

We all know Patrick makes the finest in packs and shelters, but I gotta say, the little diagrams of the tipi's with the little stick man dancing a jig in them doesn't do them justice.

A page or two of user submited pics would go a long way toward making the website as nice as the gear.

Patrick
11-19-2004, 06:11 AM
Ok, got it. I'm passing this on to Maggie for implementation. BTW COGriz, those are fine pix. Especially the Fall Elk Hunt. That location is pretty close to my ideal of Heaven. I forget, is that Wyoming or Colorado country? Doesn't matter much, both states have plenty of similar terrain. Indeed, a great many places like that reside in the West. Yahoo.

Rob
11-19-2004, 09:59 AM
I have been sitting on this site for a while and i agree that the pics above are outstanding for giving space inside the tipi a more realistic look and something to compare sizes.Will look forward to a photo book.Thanks Rob

Rob
11-19-2004, 09:59 AM
I have been sitting on this site for a while and i agree that the pics above are outstanding for giving space inside the tipi a more realistic look and something to compare sizes.Will look forward to a photo book.Thanks Rob

Sawtooth
11-19-2004, 10:24 AM
It continues to amaze me at what a valuable and enjoyable resource this board has become. Thanks, COGriz, for the outstanding photos! Sorry to hear about your tent!!!

COGriz
11-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Patrick, the Fall Elk Hunt photo is in CO... one of our BEAUTIFUL wilderness areas. Very rough and hard to get to (need the horsie!)... but absolutely beautiful!

One of the drainages I dropped in to for a day (from base camp) was approx. 10 miles from nearest trailhead. I found an old cigar tube wrapped in sandwich bags. I found that odd and was going to put it in my pack to throw away. I decided to see what was inside. It turns out a guy had been going into that remote destination since the mid 60s and would leave a short journal entry every time he was in there. He included his name and phone # for anyone that found his journal. I plan to give him a call this winter! [To be honest, I thought it was someone's last will and testiment given the remote location! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I was thinking maybe someone was mortally wounded by the bear that destroyed my camp! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ]

COGriz
11-19-2004, 03:38 PM
BeaverTrapper, I've now had both the 6-man and 8-man (in the same year!). The 6-man does have a little head room and elbow room, but I still found it to be a bit cramped even for 1-person. I would highly suggest the 8-man if you want a roomy personal hunting lodge in the field and aren't overly concerned w/ the weight/size... PERFECT for 1 or 2 people. You can sit around the stove, have a beer and your favorite freeze-dried dinner, and not have your head pushing into the tipi side wall and/or burn your leg because you are too close to the stove. And the head room is perfect for standing, stretching, getting dressed/undressed, etc. But, remember, my hunting partner is my horse... so I don't have to worry about a little extra weight/size!

imported_kutenay
11-19-2004, 06:13 PM
That solves a dilemna for me as I have been mulling over what size tipi would work best as a base camp for 5-15 day hunts. I think that the 8 man might actually be a better choice, especially in wet weather (which is nearly constant in B.C.) due to more inner space for drying wood and lounging about. This is one of the great benefits of this forum, IMO, we get to actually discuss our first-hand experiences with gear and determine some of our choices through that process, I find this really helpful.

BeaverTrapper
11-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Sounds like the 8 man is the way to go. I just bought a ParaHootch privately from a board member here, but it's going to Afghanistan with a family member in two weeks.

One thing I've learned the hard way is that comfort counts. At my age, thats especially true. Nuthin like being able to stand up and get dressed in a warm environment.

imported_kutenay
11-19-2004, 07:05 PM
It makes the difference, IMO, between doing a trip because you "have to" and really enjoying being out there, every minute of your trip. Given the high cost of this activity and the limited opportunities to engage in it, making sure that you have the gear that really works, FOR YOU, is only common sense.

I have pretty much decided on an 8 man and large stove; I carry a G-T bivy, u/l tarp and thermrest plus a Wiggy's Kifaru bag with me constantly as my "siwash" camp, so, the big tipi would be real welcome when I get "home".

Contrarian
11-19-2004, 08:14 PM
This is my camo 8 man homemade I made a couple of years ago. I purchased a Kifaru large stove to heat it. ( I recently ordered the six man and med stove). When I camp with groups like the scouts, they all end up in my tent for the late evening chat. Room for all the chairs too.
http://horsetrailerworld.com/rick/P2130017.JPG

http://horsetrailerworld.com/rick/P2130018.JPG

Careful, it will take over the dining room.
http://horsetrailerworld.com/rick/P2120014.JPG

Here's my 4 man homebrew. It is much larger on the inside.
http://horsetrailerworld.com/rick/P6020070.JPG

How many times has somebody come by your tipi to warn you about the flame shooting out of the top of the stack?

imported_Randy
11-20-2004, 12:59 AM
Patrick,

The picture book sounds like a good idea for your customers which in turn is good for biz!

Just one request though please keep the "little stick man dancing a jig" around somewhere! I've grown quite fond of him and think he has earned a place on your website. (grin) Randy

Patrick
11-20-2004, 07:11 AM
To all re: the "little stick man dancing a jig".

Maggie found the little elf somewhere in cyberspace. I'm thinking she will be loath to kick him off the Website entirely, so thanks Randy for inviting him to stick around...somewhere.

Sawtooth
11-20-2004, 07:27 AM
Yes...please keep the elf, Patrick. Somehow, I can't help but think this is what you might look like, camped alone on some remote bench, just after discovering another of your ingenious inventions! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Dave R.
11-20-2004, 08:30 AM
Folks,

This is an awesome thread. COGrizz...I've been reading all your posts lately and its a thrill to hear your stories and see the pics....

Contrarian....great work on your TIPI!!! I'm amazed at your skill. I'm a scout leader too....thinking about the benefits of a larger tipi(got a 4 man now) I had my tipi with my son(he's a tiger cub) on a recent cub camping event...yes, the other parents freaked out when they saw the shaft of fire coming out of the tipi...it was awesome!! It was a cold night going to 28 degrees and frozen rain....one of the cub parents told me that I was 'cheating' because of the stove...I told him its only cheating if you use more than one match!(I'm an Eagle scout , so I thought I had the right to defend myself!!!)

BTW...i see your from KC...I was there last year, I had an opportunity to play some "contrarian" jazz with Bobby Watson and the Kansas City All Stars.

Dave

Contrarian
11-20-2004, 12:38 PM
We know that the tipi is easy to pack, simple to set up, and durable in wind. If it's raining I don't mind spending a little down time reading and relaxing. It's the only tent I've ever had where people want to stay up late, sit around the stove in a circle, and talk until the drowziness is too much. We used to group-camp and pretty much turn in when it it got real dark (in the winter). This is much better cause I'm not much on getting 10 hours of sleep and still getting up at 5:00 am.
I have some wannabes checking out the Kifaru site now.

Remember, it's not cheating if you pack it in.

imported_kutenay
11-20-2004, 12:52 PM
I am also most impressed with the camo tipi, although it is far beyond my limited skills and patience to make one, I'm a guy that goes nuts over a simple glass-bedding job and frets over my gear until everything is "perfect". I am getting ever more eager to get a tipi and start camping in style and comfort, I am REAL tired of pulling my pants on all hunched over like Quasimodo and I, too, like to read when the rain is hammering down, hot cup of tea at hand!

Ralph
11-20-2004, 10:34 PM
In addition to finding space to work, the biggest problem is figuring out how to sew big pieces together neatly on a household machine. Even the biggest household ones start to look awfully small when confronting a tent project. Nice job. I've been making packs, pouches and pockets, now I'm thinking of trying my hand at a lightweight tipi.

P.S. I don't know if this is true of all WalMats, but I found some pretty good camo netting to use as bug net in my local store at about $1.80 a yard for 60" width.

archer
11-21-2004, 12:07 PM
Here are some photo's I've posted in the past...

6-man tipi:

http://www.hunt101.com/img/215420.JPG

4-man tipi:

http://www.hunt101.com/img/218100.jpg

I found that the height difference between the four and six man tipi's wasn't enough to warrant me paying more for the six man so I bought the four man. I intend on buying an eight man tipi for a base camp. I'm 6'2" tall and could stand up in the six man but found standing in it awkward at best (too close to the stove pipe for my liking). The four man survived a 2" downpour this fall and didn't have water encroachment even though I was on hard clay and rock. I think I found the only spot that would except the dura-pegs. I'll be bringing fourty penny nails to that spot next time.

2nd wind
11-22-2004, 05:22 PM
Pictures are indeed worth a 1000 words. I enjoy my Paratipi, but now it is certian thatI NEED an 8 man too. Seeing that comfy looking chair did me in!
John

Contrarian
11-22-2004, 08:07 PM
On sewing, I can't match the Kifaru quaility sewing with my fat fingers but all of you that make your own gear like I do probably get a lot of satisfaction from the projects. I found that making a tipi was easier than my first pack. It can be just a bunch of triangles. But that would be too easy. Your pattern would be one piece. Mine is an ovoid shape like an egg. My 8 man camo tipi cost about $100 plus the stove jack (see pictures higher up in this thread). I can't work with slippery ultralight material so I ordered a 6 man tipi and another stove from Patrick.

There are many things that are gratifying and easy to make in the off season when you're tired of cleaning and dinking with the rifles. I have kids too so I make industrial gaiters, packs, stuff sacks (real easy), poncho-tents, and cagoul style raincoats. I have a basic machine from Sears/Kmart.
http://horsetrailerworld.com/rick/P4280007.JPG
2 ponchos hooked at the ridge make a large 2 man shelter weighting just a few ounces each.

BTW, your wife will not like it when you discuss sewing techniques at a party or on the phone. It's like being unemployed or your swellng problem . Don't talk about it.

Rob
11-23-2004, 08:54 AM
Asked my wife how her sewing prowess was and she said forget it, learn to sew.

trey s.
11-23-2004, 10:56 AM
Here is a cool photo my brother took one night on our elk hunt in Colorado this fall. It is a little fuzzy, but you can get the idea.

Trey

http://www.hunt101.com/img/224427.jpg

COGriz
11-23-2004, 11:20 AM
That IS a cool pic!!!!

Matt in AK
11-25-2004, 01:03 PM
OP,

A few pics to help get you through the Winter. All were taken in Alaska.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid147/paac509f5ee3a63f1a9433a6126de16a0/f622d55e.jpg
Fat old man making dinner; pan fried moose steaks and cherry pie about to go into the dutch oven. On the Kenai Peninsula near Hope.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid147/pd0c1a5abc8923288ea07bddc59cb26ff/f622d552.jpg
Same camp on the Kenai Pen. Looking for Fall black bear for an Army buddy. Finally got him within a 100yds of a bear near Girdwood...the bear stood up...and he missed. You could've heard him cussing himself 5 miles away -- my buddy, the bear just ran and laughed.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid147/pc8edcdd751ea797b6f041c3121b3f684/f622d55a.jpg
Fat old man with a bottle of elephant repellent near the stove. Never had an elephant endanger the camp even once. Near Eureka on a duck hunt.

Chris57
11-25-2004, 01:17 PM
Matt,

That looks like a mighty comfortable camp! And yet another testament to the hauling powers of Kifaru packs! Lantern, chairs, table!

Just Kiddin. Always appreciate camp pic's, helps you go there in your mind at least. Especially when your stuck at work!

Thanks!

Matt in AK
11-25-2004, 01:36 PM
Chris -- That would be the Kifaru Dodge Ram...optional with the 8-man tipi.

There are so many places to see black bear from the roads in AK and we just plain cover more ground. It ain't "pure" but it is fun.

Chris57
11-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Matt,

Quite understandable, that 8 man looks like a nice way to go. I rented a 4 man/small stove this Sept, and I really thinking 8 or at least a 6 man also a larger stove.

I'm hopin this years rondevous (?) lines up where I can get close to all the differant sizes.

Patrick, if your listening my vote is for May 27-29th weekend.

Matt- I was just talkin to a friend thats been trying for a blonde/black bear here in CO. Since you can't bait them anymore he's pretty much into covering a lot of ground (driving) and hoping to see one or real fresh sign to follow also.

Ya, and any time in the hills is "FUN".

Rob
11-26-2004, 06:40 AM
hey ts 1996.Is that the stove glowing like that inside that tent or what?HAha.Nice pic.

OP
11-26-2004, 07:10 PM
Thanxs everyone for the fantastic pics and stories. I'm all fired up to get my tent. To me the best time to enjoy the wilderness is in the quiet beauty of winter time. Patrick has given outdoorsmen a wonderful tool in these tents. I can't imagine how great it will be to backpack to remote areas and enjoy a bitter cold evening around a hot stove and enjoing all the sights the winter wilderness has to offer.

OP
11-26-2004, 07:15 PM
By the way, does anyone know if Patrick still carries the tipi light. I havent seen it on the website but it's advertised in the catolog.

Contrarian
11-26-2004, 08:31 PM
Hey Matt in AK,
Thanks for the nice pictures. Are you putting down a monster ground cloth for a tipi floor? Does it have a stove-hole cut in it? How is that working for you? Never thought of that. I kinda like the ground. 'Sept when it's all mooshy. I spill stuff. I like the rock pile though. Get that stove glowing, pour some water on the rocks from that 5 gallon coffee pot you got sitting on the burner and you got a sauna. Yeehaw!

Dave R.
11-27-2004, 06:02 AM
Hi OP....Patrick told us in a post a long time ago that they stopped making the tipi lights...not sure why...I have one and its a nice unit. Its nice at nighttime when your sleeping....you can keep the switch near you and you ccan pop on the light very quickly if needed. Not sure why Kifaru stopped making them, but I'm sure they had a good reason.
I think you should call the shop and ask if they are making them again.

Dave

Matt in AK
11-27-2004, 06:32 AM
Contrarian -- I've used my tipis with and without the tarp/ground cloth. It works well either way, but I use the tarp while camping out of the truck. No mud at all. I cut a flap for the stove. I use the rocks to try and keep a little heat after the fire dies out at night. I also bought a tray (I think it's Patricks snow platform) and will use it two inches below the stove as a pizza broiler -- clear as mud?

OP -- Go to just about any backpacking store (REI, etc...) and pick up a semi-collapsible candle lantern. They weight next to nothing and come with a small hook. I use one and it's perfect.

Matt in AK
11-27-2004, 06:52 AM
How about some non-tipi but fun pics anyhow? Ya'll are making me feel homesick for the West.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid148/pb2c8244bbd0a7fd1176a7fa837cc9987/f61e58f0.jpg
A couple buddies with my Kenai black bear

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid148/pc189b8f44577acd46de44a393462188c/f61e55b4.jpg
Deshka River King Salmon...bro-in-law's was much bigger.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid148/p3c3d8ef5ab161d53d1bd4d03768a35eb/f61e53e6.jpg
My son with the shrimp that ate Valdez. Great trip with a gentleman we met over the internet.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid148/p2881ae62aac18adf3d5700db042e325d/f61e51a2.jpg
Blacktail deer on Montague Island. The only "double" I've ever shot on big game.

Later I can post some pictures of DC commuter traffic to and from the Pentagon /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif just to show a little contrast.

snowdevil
12-02-2004, 09:43 AM
test

Vernon
12-03-2004, 05:34 AM
Does anyone have pictures of tipi's with a person standing beside them? Would give me a better idea of height than the stick man.

Gary
12-19-2004, 10:56 PM
If this comes through, it's my favorite pic of my 8 man. It's the little white speck in the foreground. The site is a small un-named lake on Kodiak Island, taken last November. I took the photo from a ridge behind the tipi and about 750 feet higher than the lake. From the ridge, over a 2 week period, my son &amp; I saw 36 brown bears and countless Sitka Blacktails. We didn't tag any bears, but did manage to bring a couple of bucks, apiece.
The beauty of the tipi isn't so much in a close up of it (though some of the preceeding photos are in beautiful settings); the beauty comes from the place you put the tipi and what you see from it while you're there.
Gary
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/Gary1089/003_0a.jpg

Levi
12-20-2004, 04:47 AM
Gary, nice picture. With an area that dense in bears, how do you keep your game and food away from the bears with no trees? My paranoid a** always hangs our food in bear country, and most outfitters here in MT have meat polls high enough so bears can't reach the hanging game? Thanks for enlightening me and have a Merry Christmas!

Gary
12-20-2004, 10:32 AM
Levi
To the best of my knowledge, we didn't have a bear near the camp. We usually cut enough alders to pile up, then place the bagged meat on top of the pile and stretch a trap over the alders above the meat pile. It allows circulation and keeps the meat dry. We do keep the meat a couple of hundred yards from the camp. No sense in asking for trouble. We usually spread moth crystals around the meat (be careful not to get any on the meat - makes for an interesting flavor) and I'm not sure if it helps or not. I think it does more for my son's piece of mind than keeping critters out of the meat. Like lots of others on the board, I don't hesitate to cook and eat inside the tent. What the heck, we did have bear tags with us.
Have a great holiday, yourself.
Gary

et
12-23-2004, 02:36 PM
Here's a couple of pics of my 12 man. Patrick this is the tipi that may have "streached" after a heavy snow load. The summer picture the doors are open. The Tipi in the fall photo was set up very taut(with pole supported /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif . It seems that after heavy mosture I always need to re adjust the tipi in the morning.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ertid/picts120604036.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ertid/picts120604024.jpg
This is my first attempt at posting photos so if I made a mess I'll apologize a head of time. et

Patrick
12-23-2004, 04:15 PM
et--

You did good on the photos! The young-un is a handsome little rascal too.

The stretch is perfectly natural, to be expected, no matter what the tent material is. Snow/rain does that to all tents. Just know that you can tighten the tipi from INSIDE, without having to trek outside, by raising the center pole a notch or two.

Smackdaddyj
01-07-2005, 09:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by ts1996:
Here is a cool photo my brother took one night on our elk hunt in Colorado this fall. It is a little fuzzy, but you can get the idea.

Trey

http://www.hunt101.com/img/224427.jpg </div></div>This is a really cool picture, but I was wondering what is going on inside the tent to light it up like that. Is that just the stove going, or do you have a candle or lantern or something in there. Can I say again, that is a really cool picture.

Smackdaddyj

trey s.
01-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Smackdaddyj,

That is just the stove. I was inside trying to warm things up before we turned in. I am sure the stove door was open, which is why it's putting off so much light.

Trey

Sawtooth
01-07-2005, 09:56 AM
et,

GREAT PHOTOS! You've a great looking kid there!

Smackdaddyj
01-10-2005, 01:32 PM
TS - Thanks for the info. It certainly gives me things to think about. I need to talk to Patrick about getting one of those blackout liners. I wonder if I could hop in on a military order or something.

Smackdaddyj

Ken C
01-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Here is a pic of the 8 man in action

http://www.members.cox.net/~mudtoa/tent.jpg

The stove sure did take the chill out of the air. I did not smoke us out of the tepee this time.

http://www.members.cox.net/~mudtoa/stove.jpg

Chris57
01-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Ken C,

Just curious, how do you go about getting and processing your stove wood? Looks like several foot of snow on the gound, so I would imagine it makes cutting up wood more difficult. Just using squaw wood?

Chris

PS I wonder if web people can do something to break up this thread, it sure takes a long time to download with all the pic's. And please don't get me wrong, sure don't want to lose any of them. They are all great shots!

Ken C
01-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Chris,
I just used squaw wood. I took an axe and saw, but did not use it. Everything was gathered by hand. The pine wood burned very quick. Before dusk, we gathered up a loose 3 foot pile of wood (gathering wood was a good job for my kids). The pile of wood lasted until mid morning. Finding wood in the winter is much easier than you would think. We did not have to walk more than 50 yards in any direction.

I think I will bring a duralog next time (to put in right before I go to bed). Has anyone used a duralog? Can you burn a whole log in the large stove?

Thanks
Ken

Matt in AK
01-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Ken C,

Careful about those "fake" logs. My buddy and I split one in half and the tent got so hot it drove us outside...where we could watch the now orange stovepipe. Spooky stuf...

Matt