PDA

View Full Version : What pack w/ my new Wiggy's sleep system

broadsword22
08-24-2004, 05:45 PM
I just put out the $330.00 and recieved my Wiggy's Superlite FTRSS. It's bigger than I thought. Don't get me wrong here. Nice bag and I'm loving it. One of the nicest pieces of gear I've bought in a long time. I can't wait to see how it performs here in the Rockies this Fall/Winter. My problem now is that the Wiggy's won't fit in my Danish issue infantry bergen.
I've posted the Danish pack and some pieces from my Falklands SAS collection for sale to help get me up to where I need to be so I can afford a new Kifaru pack. Can someone suggest the pack I need. Other than my need to fit the FTRSS I'll need to fit a Para hooch w/ para stove and other essentials. This will be my only pack and I want it to be able to cover anything I might come across up here in the Colorado Rockies.
Thanks,
Broadsword

Dan
08-24-2004, 07:33 PM
EMR - better to have it (space) and not need it than not have it and need it - If you don't fill it up it compresses down real nice.

Dan

broadsword22
08-24-2004, 08:48 PM
Thats the one I've been eyeballing. That and the MMR. Does anyone know if the Superlite FTRSS system will work with the MMR?
Broadsword

Recce Gear
08-25-2004, 07:28 AM
No, you cant fit the complete FTRSS system in the MMR. That is a big reason why I am sending mine back to Kifaru for an EMR.

Jon

broadsword22
08-25-2004, 09:06 AM
drtywk,
Thanks alot. That's what I was looking for.
Looks like it's going to be an EMR for me.
Still have my Danish Infantry bergen and some other Danish camouflage gear as well as some Falklands War SAS web gear to sell first but I'm about half way there already. Only question now is Olive Green or Coyote Brown???? Decisions, Decisions.
Thanks again,
Broadsword

Recce Gear
08-25-2004, 03:07 PM
Do you have any pics of the Danish gear? I might be interested.

As far as color goes, all my Kifarus are OD, except for my Pointman, which was Coyote Brown with OD webbing. Great color combo, but I sold it to fund another Kifaru purchase. These things are like Strider Knives, you cant own just one. In the end, color is personal preference.

They can also do custom colors, if you supply the fabric.

Jon

broadsword22
08-25-2004, 06:07 PM
Damn....
You had to bring up Strider Knives didn't you.
That's on my short list also. The Danish stuff is nice. I wish it would work for my load. If it did I'd be keeping it.Drop me an email at broadsword22@aaahawk.com I'll send you a reply with some pics of my Danish camouflage stuff.
I'll suit up and have the Domestic 06 break out the digital camera.
Broadsword

broadsword22
08-25-2004, 07:00 PM
Got your email addy from your profile.
Pic's are on the way.
Broadsword

maskirovka
10-04-2004, 04:55 AM
How about a Zulu with a large Pod on the bottom? Seems that with the new Pods, several Kifaru bags could easily carry a large sleep system and still have room to spare. I'm still planning on getting an EMR for wintertime (and for possible future tipi/stove camping), but I have a feeling that a Zulu-Pod combo will take care of most of my needs.

DiabloDawg
10-04-2004, 10:16 AM
EMR definitely. I got the MMR which is b-a-r-e-l-y big enough for a MSS system. Java is right- better too big than too small.

seb5
10-04-2004, 02:56 PM
DiabloDawg, I sold my MSS and have been using a Wiggy's FTRSS ultralite. You said the MSS would barely fit in the MMR. Would you have any idea if the ultralite FTRSS in regular/wide will fit? I also sold my Navigator and am trying to decide on the MMR or EMR. I am leaning towards the MMR as I know what a fully loaded Navigator with back pocket and 2 long pockets weighed. I don't
want to feel a totally loaded pocketed up EMR!

Armadeli
12-18-2004, 08:43 PM
I'm considering the FTRSS also. Using the pod idea should work. I don't know why you'd want to put it on the iside anyway, unless you have spare room. Why not use a compression bag and strap it to the bottom?

akfirecop
12-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Quick Question--
Will the pod system work with the Pointman?

If not I am gonna just have to break down like a shotgun and get an EMR /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

seb5
12-19-2004, 03:41 PM
The pod will indeed work with a Pointman. I'm waiting on ordering a pod until I see what I've got space wise. I recently ordered an MMR. I don't mind cramming it inside if needed. If needed I could add 4 long pouches, 2 claymores, and 2 2 quarts to the outside. That's like 4000 cubes added without the 2 quarts. About 6000 seems to be my max weight wise anyway.

akfirecop
12-19-2004, 11:30 PM
SEB:
DAM IT MAN!! I was looking for a reason to get a EMR!!

I have been drooling over the EMR and ZULU for a few weeks now--I mught just have to bite after I recover from Christmas---I am telling you, my whole plan of saving money has been shot since I have been hanging here and at LF--I have aquired more stuff--oh, well, better do it now while I am young and single and can afford it, right? LOL

RangerReject
12-20-2004, 09:54 AM
Couple of responses.

First, always put that sleeping bag inside if you can. More protection, more streamline, and closer to your body.

Second, everyone needs a zulu, emr and scout, with that said, save your money.

Third, coyote, with OD webbing or if you are a bit wild, and I don't think anyone has tried this OD with coyote webbing.

My .02

seb5
12-20-2004, 12:49 PM
AK, if I lived in the frozen tundra I'd probably get an EMR over the MMR. Hell, it took me 4 months to decide anyway. I really just want one of each. Eventually I will have one of each, try them all and maybe sale the ones I don't need. I have owned a Navigator and old Marauder and currently use a new Marauder and awaiting the MMR. I understand a Zulu could be on for the b-day in March. Needs are important. That's why the Marauder and MMR. They take care of my back pack needs. Anything else will be wants. But wants satisfy. Some guys want a new truck every year, electronics, or a 12 pack a night. I want good stuff that I can however thin, justify for work or play. Hey if I was single I'd call Kifaru and say send me one of everything and put it on the plastic. A month or 2 of off duty jobs and good to go.

akfirecop
12-20-2004, 01:05 PM
Seb:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I have seriously thought of getting one of each and putting it on the old card--SERIOUSLY thought of it.

I believe I'll be ordering an EMR in the NEAR future, and a ZULU shortly thereafter--I too, like you want to be able to "justify" it, however feeble the attempt.

akfirecop
12-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Ranger Reject:
I do believe that I will have to get my ZULU in the OD with Coyote PALS--my Pointman is the opposite, and I think the EMR will be OD, just for the sake of being able to use it in a MIL capacity in the future--that and to upset the lefties

Smackdaddyj
01-30-2005, 07:30 PM
I have a have been reading the lower posts lately and remember this one from a while ago. Now that I have a Zulu with an EMR on the way I thought that I would add my .02. The Zulu is awesome. I just got done doing a ruck this morning with about 65lbs in it... well, in it and on it. I had several water bladders and 2 long pockets and an E&E pouch. I was pretty loaded out, but that is the only way to really test it right. It felt very different than I am used to with the ALICE packs, but when I got it where I like it, it rode very well. I am not sure if it is like this with everyone, but it seemed to be the most comfortable riding much lower than I expected. Not a bad thing, but not what I am accostomed to. I had it up high the first half of the ruck and it was starting to rub, not like the ALICE, but I thought that something must be wrong, so I adjusted it lower and WOW!! I was suddenly standing straight up and no pressure on my hips or shoulders. I am glad I adjusted it when I did, because I had a nice sized hill to climb, but it was great from that point on.

I have to agree with Ranger Reject, I have a Zulu with an EMR on the way and I am already planning the Scout purchase. There is a great thread on where it fits and I am definately going to have to get one after reading that. As far as color goes, I have an OD Zulu and my EMR is going to be Brown. I think after reading and seeing the pics on Military Moron's website, I will stick with brown or multicam (Scout) from now on. During this time of year there is nothing green, everything is brown or white, and there is still plenty of brown in spring and summer. I want something that will be effective year round. I can't wait to get my EMR.....

Smackdaddyj