PDA

View Full Version : Coyote hunting

Hanzo
10-30-2006, 11:15 AM
The recent thread got me thinking...I'm going on a hunting trip after Thanksgiving and my hunting license has expired. I know you don't need tags for coyote, but do you need a valid hunting license for them? I'm pretty short on cash and I'm not planning any other hunting trips this year so I'd rather avoid renewing my license if I can.

beerman
10-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Hey Hanzo, it depends on where you are hunting. I live in Colorado where you have to have a small game license, but I also chase the little buggers up in Wyoming where you need nothing but a pulse. Check the regs for the state you are hunting in and good luck.

Songdog
10-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Your CA license should be good from July 1 through Jun 30 of next year. If you have that you're good to go. If not, you still need a basic license to hunt even coyotes (non game) animals in CA.

Hanzo
10-30-2006, 06:44 PM
Songdog,

Thank you, that's what I was looking for. I've got a license, but it's expired. I'm going up to San Luis Obispo soon and was hoping to pop a few of the buggers, but I guess not.

Mel
10-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Hey Hanzo, when you headin' up to SLO town? Is it just to hunt, or hang out and see the sights? The wife and I visit there quite often, as it is only 2 1/2 hours south. Maybe we can hook up if you got the time.

Mel

Hanzo
10-31-2006, 07:05 AM
Mel,

Sounds good to me, but myself and the little lady are going to be out in the bush most of the time. Well probably stop on the way in for some chow and again on the way out, but other than that, we'll be in Los Padres near Pozo.

We're heading up friday after Thanksgiving and staying till Sunday morning.

Mel
10-31-2006, 01:43 PM
Roger that Hanzo. Maybe another time.

Mel

Songdog
10-31-2006, 01:59 PM
If you're near the Pozo area you'd do well to have a pig tag in your pocket. About $15 on top of the license cost but there are a lot of them in that area and they sure taste good.

Hanzo
10-31-2006, 04:56 PM
Songdog,

I would but the little lady isn't big on it and I figured I'd spare her. Funny story about that though...

2 of my friends were hunting and managed to get a whitetail. As it was close to a trail, they decided to hike back, get the truck and come back for the deer. They came back and were loading up the deer when they heard grunting and looked behind them. Decent sized pig standing right there looking at them. Problem was, the guns were locked up in the truck. One friend contemplated going after it with a maglite and buck knife...thankfully both friends weren't that stupid and the other one talked him out of it.