PDA

View Full Version : Still not winter... ouch!

Ksnake
10-21-2006, 04:08 PM
Went out tonight bow hunting. Been eyeballing a sight for a hunt. During scouting, and from past years knowledge I knew it was a good spot. And the fresh sign told me it was still being used. So I cleared out the ground twigs and dry leaves for a place to sit down where I could be quiet. Wasn't there long when a fly dive bombed me. I swatted it away. It hit me again, in the head! Another swat, but it came back and hit me in the head again! I was thinking it was too cool for flies and wondered what was going on. Then I looked closer as it dived in again. It was black and yellow! Ground wasp! I stood up and looked around to see if there were more. I had stepped on ground wasp nests before and knew that this might be serious. And it was! Behind me was a swarm! I ran, but quickly rememered that they will chase you. So I hit the deck attempting to lay on my back to watch if they were following. Ouch, log in my back! After adjusting, I looked back. I was 20 yards away from where I had sat, and they were swarming my spike camp and bow. A few where over my head, and one was still trying to get at me. Well he managed to sting me on the neck and I killed him, but he got me a second time as I squished him. Saw anoter coming in, I ran again and hit the deck again. It had followed. I ran and ditched again. Being still, he landed on my shirt, I swatted him away, but he was persistent. I swatted and hit him with the back of my hand. That did it, he was either dazed or dead. While heading back to my gear, after waiting a bit, I heard a deer blow. Damn, I knew it was a good spot! But the wasps forced me to blow my cover. Then, from 20 yards away, I used my binocs to see if my gear was clear, but it was still a swarm. Went home and waited until dark to return to get my stuff. What a waste of a night. Where's my scotch! Cant wait for it to get cooler!

Ken
10-21-2006, 04:45 PM
oohh...too funny....

Look at it this way though...you have now DEFINITELY paid your dues at that spot...it owes you one...

Good luck!

snakey2
10-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Probably shouldn't sit near there though!! Ouch I hate those things. I ran over one on the tractor and got stung once but revenge is sweet. I went by the nest this weekend while it was cold to see what kind of action there was and found a bear had excavated it and eaten everything but a couple of small pieces of comb. Ha Ha, more power to the bear.

Ksnake
10-23-2006, 05:46 PM
True that! I wont be getting close.

Update, upon further inspection, I got nailed 9 times in the neck.

Truth be told, I think I got lucky as there was no pond near by to jump into.

snakey2
10-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Don't you pity those souls who are allergic to stings. A booboo like yours or mine could cost them their lives instead of nine stings. Yikes

Ksnake
10-24-2006, 09:30 AM
I sure do. Considering where I was, I might not have made it out if I were allergic.

Ksnake
10-24-2006, 06:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Ken:
oohh...too funny....

Look at it this way though...you have now DEFINITELY paid your dues at that spot...it owes you one...

Good luck! </div></div>Ken, Not sure if the "dues" means anything but ... I was near by ... but not close to the wasps ... and got a nice buck with the bow tonight. Double lung shot. Time to fry up some heart!

Ken
10-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Sweet! Selfbow?

I think you have been repaid... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

How 'nice' was he?

Ksnake
10-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Actually, I used the compound on this hunt. I had been practicing with it for another trip and thought it was best to keep the flow for this season. I want to get the selfbow out again tho, I miss that thing!