PDA

View Full Version : ADK ramble

PA Scott
10-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Hey all!

Ken dropped me a line by PM asking about my solo 12 day hunt into the West Canada Lakes Wilderness in the ADK's. I've been busier than a bugger lately, and haven't been on the board much, so started to draft a response to Ken, when I figured that I may as well start a thread before I leave, so that I can give y'all a before & after tale.

Here's my response to Ken.

Ken,

Got a lot to get done before I can head out, including pressing 50 gallons of cider this weekend and getting the barrel going.

Talked to the ranger (Tom Eakin) and my permit is in the mail. Will be heading out next Wednesday morning (11/1). The gear is ready to go. I'll be using the supertarp/annex/small stove rig, which I've placed in a Kifaru back pouch on my Longhunter. I'll have more details for you when I get back, hopefully with a what did/didnot work thread.

Breakfast is my traditional Big Bowl instant oatmeal, lunch is generally moose goo wrapped in a soft tortilla. Supper is Mountain Home slowly simmered on the woodstove. Got a pepsi-can alcohol stove for when I don't want to set up the wood stove. I figure the pack will come in at about 50 Lb when I'm done. I'm not big on bringing lots of clothes. One set of everything to wear, with an extra pair of underwear & socks to wash & alternate.

I'll be heading through the Moose River Plains to Little Indian Lake, where I'll park the jeep, and then follow the Indian River working the swamps and lowlands perhaps back to Sampson Bog, depending on what I find. No trails on this trip!

Because I've got everything on my back, I'm planning on still hunting until about 2-3 PM, then setting up in a spot where I can cover a good area glassing, such as an open swamp or creek/river bed. Got a new pair of Steiner Melins (8x50) which only weigh 26 oz that should work well into the dusk. Once it's dark, I'll set up camp. In the AM, I'll glass until an hour or so after daybreak, then will strike camp & keep still hunting.

If I find a spot with lots of sign, I may pick a stand & spend a day -- with 12 days to hunt, I've got the luxury of time. Rut should be going well while I'm in. Some doe scent & rattling will be part of the plan. If the gods of the hunt are willing, I'll get enough snow for tracking -- with this rig, I can stay on track for days on end. Couldn't ask for better.

If I get a buck (and I'm only shooting if its bigger than anything I've shot before) then I'll hang him using a variation of the rig that 2elk demonstrated at the last ECR. Essentially, I tie a carabiner on some 300lb test parachute cord and toss it over a tree limb, tieing it off at the right height, then I hook the same nylon cord hoist I use for butchering in the garage to the carabiner and raise it to a point that hoist the buck upside down for skinning. After everything cools, figure I'll take the backstraps, interior loins, and de-bone the 2 hindquarters, placing the meat in Kifaru meat bags. Should be about 30-40 lbs of meat. Oh yeah, the horns are coming home too (if all goes well).

Things have been really busy with work & family; sorry I haven't been in touch more. I've also learned to play the banjo, & have been jamming out in the evenings after work. I'll bring it along to the ECR this year for a round of late night drunken howling!

BTW -- after my snooze session at last year's ECR, I got set up for a sleep study & found out that I had a bitch of a case of sleep apnea. I was to the point of having to be admitted to the hospital for exhaustion. I've got a unit now that using air pressure to keep my passageways open while I sleep. Tell ya what -- I feel 20 years younger. If anyone you know has to listen to their spouse or friends complain about their snoring, they may want to check out a sleep study as well. Former all-pro DE Reggie White died at age 44 from complications from sleep apnea, as did Grateful Dead guitarist Jerry Garcia.

So much for the preaching -- onward with the preparations for the hunt!

Scott

Ken
10-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Sounds like a plan Scott...ya gonna stop by and show me the bones on your way home? I'll be sure to have some cold ones ready for you.

Good Luck!

Ken
10-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Don't forget the digi-cam...take lot's of pic's!

PA Scott
10-30-2006, 09:32 PM
FInal weigh-in on the pack is 47 pounds without rifle. Not bad for hauling 12 days worth of chow.

Ken
10-31-2006, 03:05 AM
Not bad at all...Good luck Scott.

Ken
10-31-2006, 04:25 AM
Hey Scott...I hear that the plains got 18" of snow and lot's of vehicles were trapped in. Lot's of downed trees too...

Dave R.
10-31-2006, 10:44 AM
Scott....best of luck on this adventure!!
Looking forward to hearing the tales!!

Dave

PA Scott
11-01-2006, 04:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Ken:
Hey Scott...I hear that the plains got 18" of snow and lot's of vehicles were trapped in. Lot's of downed trees too... </div></div>Cool. That'll keep the lightwieghts out of my way.

I'm heading out the door for 12 days of freedom living the way God meant us to. YEEHA!!!

Ken
11-01-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm jealous...

Ken
11-01-2006, 05:28 PM
....actually I'm headed out tomorrow for 4-5 days...can't really complain too much... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Ken
11-12-2006, 04:38 PM
uuuhhh...Scott??...did ya make it back yet?

Ken
11-22-2006, 03:28 PM
...???...

Dave R.
12-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Any tales to tell here PA Scott??

Dave

Ken
12-12-2006, 02:54 PM
I agree...he's been home long enough to get caught up on life...time to tell the tale Scott... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

copper
12-12-2006, 04:11 PM
....busy fermenting apples /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif