PDA

View Full Version : Boot Care: Obenauf's or G-Wax?

Bushcraft
10-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Obenauf\'s (http://www.obenaufs.com/lp.php?osCsid=338b3290ed8c2fe53071422af1f5de45) or G-Wax (http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/25/products_id/57?osCsid=885d644230d9b336c9a54d0bdf787d04) ?

Which product has given you the best results?

anthracitic
10-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Obenauf's!!! Hands down! It's not even close!

Threw away the unopened g-wax that I got with a pair of boots.

Sawtooth
10-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Obenauf's. Period.

Bushcraft
10-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks fellas...I use the Obenauf's as well...I was just curious as to why Lathrop & Sons was pushing an inferior product.

anthracitic
10-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Could be that's what Hanwag recommends, and it's part of the program.

tree_entz
10-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Hmm....doesn't it depend on whether or not you have gortex incorporated into your boot?
My understanding was that over time 'true' wax based (bees, petroleum, etc. as opposed to water based) would clog the pore's of the leather which greatly reduces the leather [&Gortex if lined] breathability (unless deep cleaning was done).

I'm sure we'll all agree that the water-based options do no seem to last as long to surface abrasion, however.

Ed C
10-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Obenauf's I wear gore tex boots every day of my life it seems like. In the harshest construction wilderness left on the planet. I have red tape on my hammer handle.

I usually get a year out of my construction boots. My Lowa hunting boots are on their fourth or fifth season. Obenauf's doesn't mess up the goretex.

10-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Obenauf's!!!

Took the advice of someone on this board earlier this year and they we're dead on. The only time I have tried the G-wax was with my L&S boot system. It was awful imo. YUCK. Come on L&S guys, lose that stuff.
I use Obenauf's on everything now, even dress shoes!

Res.

Sawtooth
10-04-2006, 01:54 PM
It will not diminish the performance of your Gore Tex. The Gore Tex will fail because of the repeated bending of your boot way before the Obenauf's would ever affect it.

You can do a search on the message board about this stuff. There's been a lot of discussion. This is one of those products that WORKS.

anthracitic
10-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Ed, TELL me you have a survival bivy somewhere on your tool belt. You're scarin' me man!

Ed C
10-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Will send pics and detailed list. One thing I always carry along with my belt bivy is bolt cutters in case I have to steal a bicycle, also comes in handy if they chain a barrel to your rig in a pay lot.

imported_kutenay
10-04-2006, 02:26 PM
I have never tried Obenauf's, but, I have found the Montana Pitch Blend works very well on boots and especially gloves. I don't usually wear leather gloves as I am not hyper-sensitive to cold, but, sometimes they are handy, especially when sorting out some situations.

I intend to try Obenauf's on my Van Gorkum boots as Charlie thinks it's good stuff and he ought to know, living beside the Skeena River in northwestern B.C. Gorgeous country and WET!!!!

10-04-2006, 02:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by kutenay:
I intend to try Obenauf's on my Van Gorkum boots as Charlie thinks it's good stuff and he ought to know, living beside the Skeena River in northwestern B.C. Gorgeous country and WET!!!! </div></div>Kutenay,

Use it on my Van Gorkums as well. Works great!

Res.

Buck W
10-04-2006, 06:10 PM
I use NikWax first, then either Obenaufs or Montana Pitch Blend. The pitch blend smells a little more "woodsy".

PO
10-04-2006, 07:46 PM
For what it's worth - I use Limmer's Boot Grease (mostly animal fats) and consider it the best that I've tried

anthracitic
10-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Animal fats?
How do you keep it from going rancid?
You sure it's not lanolin, silicon oils, and white camphor oil?

OR_Wildfire
10-04-2006, 08:12 PM
I'll give another vote for Obenaufs, works like a charm. For what its worth most of the other wildland fire fighters I work with use it too.

kgk

anthracitic
10-04-2006, 08:20 PM
BTW, Obenauf's IS approved for Gore-Tex.

Randy
10-05-2006, 06:00 AM
Obenouf's is the preferred treatment at our place for everything leather.

5x5
10-05-2006, 06:07 AM
I use Obenauf's on all my leather; boots, firefighting boots, gloves and jackets. Great stuff.

powder river 2
10-05-2006, 10:12 AM
Just applied a coat of Obenauf's to the boots last night. Over the years, I've used mink oil, Snow-seal, Nikwax. Obenauf's is superior.

PO
10-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Anthracitic,

I hear what you're saying about the fats. Was told by one of the Limmers during a long ago phone conversation that it was indeed comprised of animal fats though, among other things. Don't have the can near me to verify.

anthracitic
10-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Limmer's Boot Grease:
Natural hydrocarbons
Lanolin
Silicon oils
White camphor oil

Strictly speaking lanolin is not animal fat.
Animal fats are generally derived for the carcass of a dead animal.
Lanolin is also known as wool fat.

anyway...

Lathrop and Sons
10-05-2006, 01:50 PM
We at Lathrop &amp; Sons have had experience with Obenauf's leather conditioning products thanks to a generous customer. We do not dispute that this product is effective. In fact we were especially impressed with the capability to mold the uppers of leather boots when customizing a customer's fit. The feature of this product that we did not care for was the fact that the natural tackiness of the beeswax caused dirt to collect onto the boot. Also, a slight odor remained after application. We firmly stand behind Granger's G-Wax for several reasons; the most important of which is the duration of water repellency after application. As well as being effective, it is also very user(can be applied to damp leather and synthetic uppers)and environmentally friendly due to it being water based.

Happy hunting from all of us at Lathrop &amp; Sons.

Sawtooth
10-05-2006, 01:54 PM
I guess the Obenauf's can't smell any worse than my feet or armpits! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

The scent is very slight, barely noticeable.

Dave
10-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Sorry guys, but I have to say that Obenauf's is the best that i've ever used handsdown!

"natural tackiness of the beeswax caused dirt to collect onto the boot. Also, a slight odor remained after application."

My wildland boots are a fire hazard from all of the sawdust that has built up on them over the season. And as far as the odor, the only thing my gear smells like is fire and arse! And thats the way I like it!

Dave

anthracitic
10-05-2006, 02:02 PM
The scent is very slight, barely noticeable.

Obenauf's or your feet? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif :p /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

10-05-2006, 05:58 PM
To be fair what I didn't like about the G-wax was the look of it. It s kind of well....white and waxy. It may repel water really well but I didn't get that far. Again, to be fair I didn't field test it.

Res.

imported_kutenay
10-05-2006, 06:18 PM
If, you warm your leather boots to just below the temp. at which your hand feels uncomfortable and THEN work in any beeswax based product, Montana Pitch Blend, Meindl's Wax or, I imagine, Obenauf's, you largely eliminate any tackiness or residue. I have done this since I got my first boots in 1961 and it works just fine.

I have owned/worn Gore-Tex lined boots and will not use them for serious outdoors pursuits as they are too sweaty and warm plus they will not keep water out as well as properly treated, fullgrain leather boots will. When have you ever seen a scaler walking boomsticks in GT boots?

Ed C
10-05-2006, 06:27 PM
BS this ain't the dark ages.

james huffaker
10-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Dave,are your Wildland boots, Whites? Jim

GSV45
10-29-2006, 10:09 AM
Another vote for Obenaufs.

I really don't care if Obenaufs ruined the Gore-tex (which it won't do) because A) I don't believe the GT liner breathes at all under solid leather and B) the Obenaufs does such a great job waterproofing the leather I'll never notice when the GT membrane fails.

My thinking only applies to boots made from leather. If you are wearing leather and cordura boots you probably need the Graingers.

I have a pair of Montane Torres (no Gore-Tex) that I don't like very much. I use them as chore boots and for walking the dog in snow and slush. As a test I treated the left boot with Nikwax (similar to Graingers) and the right boot with Obenaufs. I found the Nikwax doesn't penetrate much at all and little scuffs in the leather became saturation points. The Obenaufs soaks in I suppose because it is a mix of oils and wax, not just wax.

It really is a great product and your boots look almost new after cleaning them and applying the Obenaufs. It seems to really refresh the leather.