PDA

View Full Version : Packing the meat out?

Travis Scott
09-18-2006, 08:52 AM
Which do you guys think is easier, just quartering, and carrying the quarters, or debone, and just carry the meat. I've never tried packing debonded meat, and am wondering if it will shift, and be a problem getting cinched down?

rost495
09-18-2006, 09:02 AM
Every pack I"ve had, and I have not had the pleasure of a Kifaru quite yet.... with deboned meat, you snug up all the straps and are good to go.

With an external old packframe I could see issues as you'd have to tie it all very well.

I personally (so far) prefer good internal frame packs over any external I've ever had.

Jeff

300wsm
09-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Have any of you guy's ever used a "Game Sled" to haul out an Elk?? I have used one for years to bring out deer.
I have brought out large deer "whole" on many occations by myself that would have been a very rough job to deal with without the sled.
It is amazing, if properly loaded and secured, how it will slide though even the thinkest brush without hangin' up.
I was thinking, you could probably bring out half an Elk(quartered and bagged) with it, if the blow down's aren't too think???

<a href="http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0005553&amp;navCount=1&amp;parentId=cat601052&amp;m asterpathid=&amp;navAction=push&amp;cmCat=MainCatcat20712-cat601052&amp;parentType=" target="_blank">http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...amp;parentType= (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0005553&amp;navCount=1&amp;parentId=cat601052&amp;m asterpathid=&amp;navAction=push&amp;cmCat=MainCatcat20712-cat601052&amp;parentType=index&amp;indexId=cat601052&amp;rid=) index&amp;indexId=cat601052&amp;rid=</a>

Herb
09-18-2006, 06:23 PM
Bone it out and get rid of the weight.

I carried some odd shaped stuff on my cargo chair this year, secured it by using a pod, didn't put the stuff in the pod, wouldn't fit, just used the straps and bag to cradle the cargo, never moved, couldn't.

flatlander
09-19-2006, 05:02 AM
I never carry bones on deer or elk in the backcountry, except for horns /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif . Take a few garbage bags and game bags if you cant pack it out shortly. No problems with shifting loads. Dean

ray porter
09-19-2006, 05:37 AM
the deer sled is ok for deer, i use the elk size for deer and feel it is worthwhile. i just dont know how it will work in the hi country. where i hunt elk it would be more trouble than it is worth. in some places half and elk on it might be ok, just for short drags, otherwise it would be less effort to carry the meat sans bones. i have used a pole with another guy to sidehill over to the mules. one time we threw the quarters of a cliff to save about a mile of packing, didnt lose an ounce of meat either. the sled would not have helped us these times. 25 days-but who's counting. ray

elmbow
09-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Another vote for boning out the meat. It's the only "sane" way to approach the job if you have any distance over 1/2 mile or rough terrain to traverse. There have been a few threads dealing with this subject. I use bags made out of pillow cases that hold about 25 lbs. of meat. You can get heavy food grade plastic bags too and I believe Kifaru sells a meat packing bag now. Three of these in a pack strapped down tight is a manageable load if the going is steep, blowdowns, scree fields etc. If you're on a trail and you're tough throw on a 4th bag. Leave the balance hanging in some shade and make a few trips. That's how I've done it for twenty years and it works. I normally don't have over 2-5 miles to cover. If I were on shank's pony and way back in, I might consider other alternatives, for instance, inviting Sundles or Huntsman22 to come enjoy some of my camp hospitality and btw bring their horses with 'em.

Scoutin' Wyo
09-19-2006, 10:40 AM
I found that I can get the weight more centered and secured when the bones are gone. Plus like others have said, those bones are heavy.

Brian

wyoelk
09-19-2006, 05:11 PM
As a retarded person who has packed too many elk quarters out with the bones still in them, let me offer you some advice. Bone them out, right where they lay. Put the meat into some Kifaru meat baggies and either throw the bags right into your pack or lash it on the outside. When you get back to camp, transfer the meat to some quality game bags to let air circulate. I cant count the number of nights that I hauled those big heavy bones to the garbage after cutting the meat and asking myself why in the hell did I pack that weight out of the hills.

Elmbow, I called a friend one day years ago and asked him what his horses were doing at the time. He got the hint...