PDA

View Full Version : Air travel and large back packs....

Dennis in VA
08-29-2006, 08:27 PM
Has anyone here taken their Longhunters or EMR's on a commercial flight as checked luggage recently? How did you have it packed? Did you use a duffle to put it in to protect the straps? Did the TSA people reject it because it was packed up tight and not folded like a suit case?

John Havard
08-30-2006, 03:57 AM
Dennis,

I'm taking my EMR again this year to Alaska for my annual moose bow hunt. As with any of my large packs I now always stuff it into a large duffle. You can check the pack itself, and I've done that many times through the years. But it's better to put it inside of a duffle IMO.

Dennis in VA
08-30-2006, 05:40 AM
But you did have your clothing and gear INSIDE the pack and then the PACK inside the duffle, right? Do you use a military style duffle or zip top style like the one Kifaru sells? What kind of things do you carry in your EMR besides clothing (for the flight)? I don't need the TSA guys rummaging thru my EMR and not putting things back like I had them.

Rhett
08-30-2006, 05:44 AM
I take mine in the door "As Is" and then after they look at it get a LARGE clear bag from them (behind the counter) to tuck it into to keep the straps and such "all in". If they rummage through it then it is on them to get it back in the ruck to be ready to fly... I take clothes, boots, gear etc etc etc- anything that needs to go on the hunt (take-down recurve and arrow tube, Glock and mags/ammo). my other checked bag is an army duffel loaded with whatever as well.

R

Dennis in VA
08-30-2006, 06:02 AM
Rhett, so do you have any external pockets on you pack (I'm assuming you are using an EMR)?

Buck W
08-30-2006, 08:17 AM
I've used a large light nylon stuff sack which fits very snugly over a LongHunter. I put the bottom of the pack in first so the waist belt and shoulder straps are covered and secured/protected from conveyor belts. I cinch down the drawstring, tie off a knot behind the toggle, and tuck the free end inside the stuff sack. The top of the lid sticks out, but that has not been a problem. When I arrive I then have a very low bulk stuff sack which goes inside the LongHunter. My son has also used the clear plastic bags.

Rhett
08-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Dennis- I take the pockets off and put them inside the ruck- Patrick's gear is Grade A but i don't trust The Luggage Gorillas to not see just how much they can tear off my rucksack!!

R

rambler_wannabe
08-30-2006, 04:05 PM
I have checked them straight up. pulled all the straps tight and bound them w/ duct tape. The plastic bag is better, especially if their is rain somewhere along the way--I have had bags soaked because they sat on the tarmac as a storm rolled through.