PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight scopes

bmaidt
07-29-2006, 04:29 PM
What scopes do you guys like for ultralight rifles?

Sawtooth
07-29-2006, 04:58 PM
Leupold VX-II 3-9x33mm Ultralight.

http://www.leupold.com/products/Info_Ultralight.htm

07-29-2006, 05:17 PM
I've had a couple Leu 3-9x33's and a couple 2x7's... hated them. Critical eye relief, narrow field of view. IMO, you'd be much better off with the standard VXII 2-7x33. An ounce and a half isn't worth torturing yourself over.

Sawtooth
07-29-2006, 06:00 PM
I "like" the 2-7X28 model maybe even better than the 3-9X33, mainly because of the lower 2X setting and the fact that hunting small game at closer ranges at 2X just fits well. However, I have the 3-9X. YMMV.

Ken
07-29-2006, 06:36 PM
I picked up a standard 2-7 Lupy and like it very much. I probably could get away with a fixed 4 power and save some more weight, but I like being able to crank things up for range time and conversly 2x for stillhunting. All of my shots have come from 75 yards or less.

CCH
07-29-2006, 08:20 PM
I like the standard VX-II series. I use a 1x4 but would be equally happy with the 2x7. Either way you are very close to the compact series in weight but without the drawbacks mentioned by Brad. I think the newer FX-II series might be best of all.

Timberline
07-30-2006, 09:17 AM
If weight is the primary consideration, I've found that its hard to beat the Leupold VX-II Ultralight 3-9 at 9.2 ounces and just 11 inches in length. But there is a price to pay, and that price is a smaller field of view and a slightly shorter eye relief than with a quality, standard-sized scope. The older I get, the more I value those things and so nowadays I tend to reach for a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8 for lightweight rifles. That scope weighs 11.5 ounces and is 11.3 inches in length. I find the broader and brighter field of view a real plus, along with the better eye relief. In my opinion, the extra 2 ounces are well worth it for those reasons.

flatlander
07-30-2006, 07:40 PM
I second Timberlines recc. The vxIII 2.5-8 is a very good choice. It may not qualify as ultralight though. Dean

elmbow
07-31-2006, 01:23 PM
I will put in a plug for the Weaver Grand Slam 1.5-5 and the current family of Kahles American scopes. Not lightweights but great optics. I like big objectives relative to magnification and a 7mm exit pupil is my arbitrary minimum for a general purpose scope. One power of magnification is generally considered adequate for each 100 yards away the target is (for big game hunting.) which means a five power scope will be all the magnification anyone needs for an animal at 500 yards. I concur with this postulate and hence very seldom buy scopes bigger than 2-7 and generally prefer scopes in the 1-5-5 range. VXIII 1.5-5 fits that range and is a good scope but IMHO, the Grand Slam offers a better fov, brightness, exit pupil and for less money. I have VXII 2-7 compact leupolds and do like them too.

copper
07-31-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm surprised that the guys that recommend 1.5-5x and similar, don't give much of a nod to a fixed 4. There is nothing you can't hit with a 4x that a 5x is going to help, you can still hit up as close you're likely to see with non-dangerous game, and there is huge weight savings just by the lack of mechanics.

Jim N
07-31-2006, 05:07 PM
Copper

What you say makes sense. The difference between the Leupold VXIII 1.5 - 5 & the fixed 4x33 is only .4 oz but there is a lot to be said for simplicity.

elmbow
07-31-2006, 06:52 PM
I have owned a few fixed fours over the years and I believe with practice they can be a great all around scope but if I were to go back to a fixed power general purpose big game scope it would be 2-3X. One of the reasons I like the scout concept, although I've not personally tried it, is the use of a 2x IER scope. I have thrown a few up to my eye and I do like the great fov the low power IER scope provides while at the same time letting the non scope eye track the action.

elmbow
07-31-2006, 06:52 PM
I have owned a few fixed fours over the years and I believe with practice they can be a great all around scope but if I were to go back to a fixed power general purpose big game scope it would be 2-3X. One of the reasons I like the scout concept, although I've not personally tried it, is the use of a 2x IER scope. I have thrown a few up to my eye and I do like the great fov the low power IER scope provides while at the same time letting the non scope eye track the action.

copper
08-01-2006, 04:58 AM
I agree with the fixed 3 being even better. The only reason I omit it is because you cut down choices so far.

I always thought it would be cool for a high-end company to have made, instead of a variable power, a dual power scope. Say a fixed 3 that, with a single click rotation of a power ring, would go to 7x. Like a leica duovid, but in a scope.

08-01-2006, 07:50 PM
US Optics SN-4 1-4x.

Res.