PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Elk Draw Results Are Out

Sawtooth
05-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Here's the link...

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/DrawResultsAndPrefPoints/

I didn't draw my unit 57/58 archery elk tag. I guess I'll either buy an over-the-counter tag for another unit or wait for leftovers. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

CCH
05-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Sorry you didn't get your choice. I just put in for a preference point and I'm up to eight. I'll have to start figuring where that will get me.

Sawtooth
05-24-2006, 10:55 AM
CCH,

Let's keep our collective fingers crossed for our mule deer draw! I'm O-for-2 so far!

Kevin
05-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Got my third choice, the old standby. CCH knows where I'll be sitting opening day.

2 hunting partners got RFW tags, so we'll have elk meat again this year.

CCH
05-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Yes, Kevin will be sitting in a GOOD spot on opening day.

Sawtooth, well I put in for two preference points so I'm guaranteed to go at least two for three. Unfortunately those preference points aren't all that tasty.

Smokepole
05-24-2006, 01:17 PM
For the first time in years, I didn't draw an elk muzzleloader tag. Put in for a unit 61 bull tag with 8 points, didn't get that, didn't get the 2nd choice statewide ML bull tag, didn't get the third choice ML cow tag.

Hunter drew a 4th season either *** tag so I'm hoping I can get a leftover tag in his unit, should be easy.

I'll probably get an archery tag. Gotta go, I need to find my bow & arrows and get to work.

Sawtooth
05-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Smoke,

Let's talk about archery elk over-the-counter. Call or PM me.

braintanner
05-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Tough year

O-fer on moose (no surprise there)

0 for 3 on cow elk, (me, my son, my neighbor, unit 28)

C,mon deer and pronghorn.

Herb
05-24-2006, 01:33 PM
I've got 10 points now and seem to be falling behind on the points needed. Back to the same old spot I'll go and looking forward to September.

300wby
05-24-2006, 01:34 PM
Got my limited antlerless private land in 41. Tag good Sept 1 - Jan 31. I plan on getting an OTC bow tag for someplace as well...

colohunter
05-24-2006, 02:13 PM
I got a 1st season rifle tag for unit 66. Yeah.

one_elk
05-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Happy days are here again and come September I am headed back to the north western corner of Colorado……for the second time even though it has been 14 years. If its anything like the first hunt it will be well worth the wait

Huntsman22
05-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Drew 1st. season either ***, my loverly bride was successful on her cow draw. Area 5. Should be meat....Now to find out if the gang from Tenn. drew. It's not near as much fun without them...Don

one_elk, area 2 or 201 maybe? If so, yer right, the wait was worth it.

one_elk
05-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Huntsman22
wasn't going to admit it (don't know why not)but 201 it is

Huntsman22
05-24-2006, 03:30 PM
YOU LUCKY DAWG........ I drew it in '91. It'll be real hard to find a bruiser that don't have missing tines as there are so many bulls.Congrats!!!!

one_elk
05-24-2006, 03:39 PM
I also drew it 91, hunted 19 days solo, had a great time saw lots of elk lots of big bulls but was after a bull a group of us saw in early Augst but never could find him. Spent many hours behind my spotting scope looking...Could have shot a rag horn or a cow the last day but was happy with the experience as it was and I believe I still have that tag.

Huntsman22
05-24-2006, 04:14 PM
You needa gunbearer/scope-toter? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

wyoelk
05-24-2006, 04:45 PM
You fellows in Colorado dont get to just bounce on over to Wal-Mart and buy a tag? If it makes anyone feel any better I hit the Wyoming Buffalo lottery, drew number 15. Should get to hunt a buff this year. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Kevin
05-24-2006, 05:13 PM
My girlfriend and her son got their first choice, which is good news, too.

Huntsman22
05-24-2006, 05:40 PM
wyoelk, Not many down this way would be caught dead in Wal-mart. Would rather have the agony and expectations of a lottery /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Huntsman22
05-24-2006, 05:41 PM
But, yeah, we can do the over the counter thin

Huntsman22
05-24-2006, 05:43 PM
'Sposed to be a 'g' on the end of that post.

wyoelk
05-24-2006, 05:45 PM
I hear you Huntsman, I spend my springs and early summers building the dang places. The last place I want to ever go is into one. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

chambero
05-24-2006, 06:17 PM
For all of you guys that didn't draw your first choices, I bet the hunts you remember most are those old "stand bys", not the once every ten year hunts.

I'm heading to Wyoming one more time this fall, and then back to Colorado next year.

Smokepole
05-25-2006, 06:20 AM
Chambero, I do know this--not drawing our 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice has presented us with the opportunity to check out some new areas that we've been eyeing for years now. I've got the maps on my desk as I type this.

That, and the fact that a good friend is taking my son and I to his secret late season spot (another spot I've never been to) means that this will be a good year, regardless of whether we get our elk.

To me, checking out a new area is almost as fun as the hunt itself. You can never have too many hunting spots.

Kevin
05-25-2006, 06:22 AM
Smokepole, I talked to your friend, and have been there during the archery season.

Your son may have a darned good time up there, and I'd suggest that you go hike it this summer. It's not too far from home, and the view is magnificent.

Smokepole
05-25-2006, 06:25 AM
That's funny, I was just talking to my friend yesterday about that very subject......

one_elk
05-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Huntsman22

I will keep that in mind...

Cleve
05-25-2006, 08:12 PM
My hunting partner and I applied as a "group" and drew our first choice -- but it was for cow tags so not too tough. Muzzle loader season in combined units 4/5/441. Glad I got that Encore dialed in at the Rondy. Need lots more practive between now and then or course, and some time up there scouting -- bummer huh?

Kevin
05-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Cleve, talk to me about the area, PMs....

I hunted it in archery a few years ago, and have a few suggestions that may not get you into elk, but will get you into snowshoes and raspberries.

And for a diversion....that ain't too bad.

Kevin
05-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Cleve, talk to me about the area, PMs....

I hunted it in archery a few years ago, and have a few suggestions that may not get you into elk, but will get you into snowshoes and raspberries.

And for a diversion....that ain't too bad.

Cleve
05-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Kevin--
Thanks! PM sent.
---Cleve

Kevin
05-26-2006, 12:11 PM
PM fired back atya.

rost495
05-30-2006, 05:34 AM
Won't impress anyone here, but I"ll be going on my first ever muzzleloader elk hunt. Its only a cow tag but I couldn't be happier plus my nephew and brother in law drew also. Only negative is we can only hunt 5 days before having to pack it home so we'll manage to be there about 4 days before season scouting at least.

Should be a blast. Have only fired 2 rounds in my 54 ever so its time to get the box of 54 stuff out and start playing. 100 yards should be no problem but probably have to tweak a bit to be good a bit further out in case it has to be a tad longer shot!!

I'm pumped. Still need to order the tipi liner and burn my stove pipe in to take a set and we are good to go. Eagles Nest here we come!

Jeff

Smokepole
05-30-2006, 08:23 AM
rost, do you have the CO muzzleloader regulations? There are a few things illegal here that are legal elsewhere in case you haven't checked, sabots, scopes, and pelleted powder.

rost495
05-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Smokepole

Thanks, Think I got it covered. ONly thing that aggravates me is the length issue. Have my 54 Renegade,filed the front sight to square instead of a stupid round ball. Put on a peep rear. Have Real 2F powder and a handful of Lee REAL and some TC bullets. Woudl like to shoot long ones but these will suffice. Have overpowder wads and a musket nipple. Sling swivels to go on and getting rid of the steel buttplate.

Hoping to manage 4 inches at 200 yards off the bench when I'm ready. HOpe to do it wiht real BP and not a subsitute but have Pyro and 777 ready just in case. And an aluminum rod instead of the wooden one.

That should about cover it. Now if I can figure out how to go about finding the critters before season opens and then not spooking, getting close enough etc.... Sounds easy, I'm sure its not gonna be.

The workout program is in full swing. But the afternoon heat is a killer already.

Thanks, Jeff

PS any tips are mucho appreciated!!

CCH
05-31-2006, 06:34 AM
Sawtooth, nothin' on the deer yet. Must be too early in the morning.

Smokepole
06-01-2006, 05:30 AM
rost,what kind of tips are you looking for, finding the elk?

rost495
06-01-2006, 08:12 AM
Smokepole

Just general stuff. I've asked around, bought a few books etc.. Most are devoted to bulls. We just have cow tags and would be tickled to death to actually shoot one and have the great meat.

I recall from a bowhunt years ago that they are where you find them. NOt at all like whitetails we are used to.

Hence questions about where to look, IE meadows, elevation, for a few days of scouting before season opens what can we get away with, IE walking meadows looking for tracks, whats best way to locate? Look for sign, I recall that if meadows have trails going into the middle they are late nite comers. If the trails that are active skirt the edges they are probably coming out during shooting light etc...

And due to the combo of thermals and wind, how do you get close enough to shoot one? IE can't get above them before daylight and let them come to you,

I'm wanting best advice on how to use the few days scouting and then 5 days max we have to hunt them. Do I just get up high the first day and glass as far as we can early and late to locate IE see them and then move over to that area? How close can we set up to where we find them?

General dumb questions, but I prefer to go armed as to how to do it, what to look for etc... instead of just blindly stumbling, and possibly ruining it for someone else too.

Also looks like bad moon phase, how bad will that affect them and is there any chance of hunting mid day? When do you give up waiting them in a feed ground or water hole(if I can find one) and get to following a trail and trying to catch them bedding etc....

Anything of good interest is welcome. We will be on foot only in Eagles Nest Wilderness coming from the North side I have appx coords if that helps the advice. Camping, survival, that kind of stuff is not a problem. Still gambling the clothing issue in early Sept a bit vs pack weight.

Thanks for anything, PM is ok, or I can PM you a home email too.

Jeff

Smokepole
06-01-2006, 09:54 AM
rost, Kevin started an excellent thread on this very subject I'm guessing last fall in the October time frame. I forget the name, but you can find it through a search.

Here's my $.02 though. Since you haven't hunted the area before and it's relatively warm that time of year and you can go light, it might be best to be prepared to move around some, keep moving until you find them.

That time of the year, they will still be up high. Not sure about that area, never hunted there, but we've had good success around 11,000 feet give or take. Your area may be different. If it was me, I would study maps of the area and pick out the places where good feed is likely to be located, i.e., meadows, and furthermore, look for the meadows with nearby black timber because it's still warm that time of year and they will seek out cool, shady spots during the day. Water sources nearby are good too. I would not necessarily hunt the meadows but hunt near them because the elk will be near the best feed. On the other hand, if you get a few miles in and they're undisturbed, they may come into the meadows early or late, I've seen this for the past several years where we hunt, during ML season they are still relatively undisturbed there, about 3-4 miles in.

All meadows are not equal though. Once you get to your area, use the mid-day hours when they're bedding to look for the meadows with the best feed, lushest grass, etc. and if these meadows don't have recent sign, keep moving. Once you find meadows or other areas that are torn up and/or look like a barnyard, then try to figure out the elk's patterns as far as where they would likely bed during the day near the feeding areas and the routes they would take back and forth both returning to the timber after feeding in the meadows at night, and also, emerging from the timber at sunset.

Spend the first and last hour or so of daylight parked on a high vantage point with binoculars where you can see multiple meadows or slide areas that represent potential feeding areas. See what you can see. If you don't see elk in the open, it doesn't necessarily mean they're not there, but you'd be surprised at what you do see sometimes.

When the hunt comes, for the first few days try to catch the elk either in their feeding areas early or late or going back and forth between their bedding and feeding areas. Best not to bust them out of their bedding areas unless it's a last resort and you're running out of time and need to make things happen, like the last day or two of the hunt.

And remember that during the best times of day to hunt, early and late, the breeze generally drifts downslope, and plan your approach accordingly.

rost495
06-05-2006, 09:03 AM
Message printed! Thanks, its about what I was thinking. I"ll see if I can type in the word elk in a search and see what gives with Kevin's thread too!

We intend to take camp with us so our packs won't be light. But I don't intend to set the tipi (weather permitting) until/if we find them. So that once we roll up the bags in the AM we'll have camp on our back and not likely to come back.
Working on getting a topo of the right area this week again. That will/should tell a lot.
I"m assuming feed grounds and north facing dark timber slopes is my guess to stay cool?

Temp info? Our area probably 9-10K feet mostly? Need input on best clothing options as we need to stay as light as we can and 10 days of food will add up enough already.

Thanks, Jeff

Kevin
06-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Here's the thread:

http://forums.kifaru.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002467

Search on "elk behavior" in the title.

Good luck.

Smokepole
06-05-2006, 09:48 AM
Rost, here’s what I bring, clothes-wise. Others like Sawtooth have good lists, maybe he can post his:

1) Two pairs Smartwool socks, one medium wt., one heavier.
2) Medium weight leather hiking boots.
3) One pair lightweight synthetic long underwear (polyester), shirt with zippered turtleneck.
4) One synthetic (polyester) short-sleeve tee-shirt.
5) Blaze baseball-type cap plus blaze stocking cap.
6) One pair Woolrich pants. Might switch to microfleece pants this year, but I like wool and it’s hard to kick the habit.
7) Pair of nylon shorts for warm weather, packing loads out (hopefully).
8) Long-sleeved camo fleece hunting shirt.
9) Thick fleece jacket.
10) Down vest.
11) Rainproof top shell (I don’t bring rain pants).
12) Fleece blaze orange vest.

If you bring some disposable "hunter's towelettes" or even baby wipes, you can keep yourself relatively stink-free (relatively speaking) and get by with fewer clothes--just burn them in the camp fire when you're done (the towelettes, not the clothes).

As far as food, depending on how far you go in you may want to consider taking only half your food at first, that would certainly lighten your load and make it easier to move around. You never know if you’re going to get lucky and get your elk in the first few days and if you do you’ll be packing out all that food along with your elk.

It's warm enough that time of year that we are always prepared to pack out and ice down an elk within a day or two, at most. We keep large marine coolers in the truck with block ice for the quarters. So if you do score, some of your party will probably be coming out to the truck anyway, and a re-supply with an empty pack is pretty handy. Even if only one person scores and the rest of your party stays in, that person can haul in a lot of food on the return trip with an empty pack.

Plus, you might hike into a new area, spend 3-4 days and decide you want to change locations so you’d be coming out anyway, you never know, your first area could be full of hunters or you just might not find game. It’s a good idea to be as flexible as possible when you hunt a new area. And even if you find game and want to stay the whole ten days, unless you’re far from the trailhead it’s a pretty easy thing to walk out and bring in more food—that way you can bring in some morale-boosters midway through the hunt, like some fresh steaks or something along those lines. Just something to think about.

rost495
06-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Smokepole

Got the search right, a few items printed.

Which brings up another question-- I see some folks take the elk trails. But in scouting.

If we find an elk trail and try to follow it the few days before season to try to figure movement out, more feed, water etc.... how bad do we screw it up? You certainly can't do that without rubber boots and showers for whitetail, and being in the elk woods it'll be Han Wags and no showers basically.

Thanks for the info!!

Jeff

Chris57
06-05-2006, 04:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Smokepole:
"you can keep yourself relatively stink-free (relatively speaking) and get by with fewer clothes--just burn them in the camp fire when you're done" </div></div>Smoke, You are hillarious!!! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Smokepole
06-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Don't know about others but I've never worried about walking on elk trails. Sometimes, especially on a sidehill or in timber, they're the only way to go. And you can sneak around much better on a trail than off, I think minimizing the noise is a much bigger deal than stinking up the trail. And unlike a whitetail hunt, you don't spend a lot of time setting up on a trail and waiting, it's more of a move around until you find them type of hunt.

You're right about the rubber boots and charcoal suits--that's for guys who sleep in a warm bed and walk 200 yards to their tree stands. Once you're out there packing loads on your back in the hills, you're gonna reek no matter what you do (my suggestion of "hunter's towelettes" is more for the benefit of the hunters than a means to stay scent free for sneaking up on elk) so just live with it and pay attention to the breeze. One other thing I use is Arm &amp; Hammer unscented deodorant--again, you're gonna reek no matter what, but this just lets you reek a little less. And we've also packed a Sun Shower a time or two--not exactly going light but nice if you've got one.

Chris57
06-05-2006, 05:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by rost495:
If we find an elk trail and try to follow it the few days before season to try to figure movement out, more feed, water etc.... how bad do we screw it up? </div></div>Rost,

This is really top secret... But, there again, I guess we don't want you chasin all the elk off their trails.

So here's the tip, try these cow elk urine wafers. They come with a couple safety pins, and they suggest hanging them by your stand, which is OK if your going to sit still. But this is best for walking on trails or if you stumble into a bedding area. Clip the thing about ankle or a little higher on your pants.

They do stink! If you jump in your vehicle with them on, you'll be pullin over directly!

I know your not tryin to attract bulls, but with the bulls are the cows, and hopefully they'll just think your another elk.

Good Luck!

PS Keep an eye out for a hungry cat. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

<a href="http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0004721413264a&amp;navCount=2&amp;podId=000472 1&amp;parentId=cat20096&amp;navAction=push&amp;cmCat=MainCatca t20712&amp;catalogCode=" target="_blank">http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...mp;catalogCode= (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0004721413264a&amp;navCount=2&amp;podId=000472 1&amp;parentId=cat20096&amp;navAction=push&amp;cmCat=MainCatca t20712&amp;catalogCode=QT&amp;rid=&amp;parentType=index&amp;indexI d=cat20096&amp;hasJS=true) QT&amp;rid=&amp;parentType=index&amp;indexId=cat20096&amp;hasJS=tr ue</a>

Smokepole
06-06-2006, 08:13 AM
Rost, if you do use the urine technology, be careful with that stuff, like Chris says. And remember, Chris is an inveterate traditional bowhunter so you’ve got to take his advice with a grain of salt, if not ignore it completely.

The reason I say this is that urine technology although highly advanced can be too much of a good thing. I’ve seen it with my own two eyes--the following is a true story:

Back when I was in school, my friends and I hunted whitetails in the mountains of western Virginia. One opening morning, my hunting buddy Charlie put some Tink’s “Doe-in Heat” buck lure on his shoes and walked to his stand, which was situated atop a rock outcropping overlooking an open hardwood bottom. Early that morning Charlie watched a little forkhorn buck walk through the bottom and cut his trail. The little buck stuck his nose to the ground and followed the trail right up to the stand, whereupon Charlie dispatched him. So the stuff works.

My other hunting buddy Bo and I, being quick on the uptake, went back into town for some Tink’s. It’s pretty rank stuff but for Bo I think it worked well as a masking scent. Anyway, the next morning as we were getting ready to walk to our stands, Bo put some Tink’s on his shoes and (unbeknownst to him) also got some on his fingers. Then, he inadvertently brushed his fingers over his moustache. Well, you can imagine his reaction, having that stuff millimeters from his nose—his eyes watered, he stumbled, and said he felt lightheaded. Then he proceeded to squirt some more on his hands, slap it on his face like after shave, and trot down the trail toward his stand. That was the last I saw of him until that evening.

We met back at the truck and right away I knew something was not right. Bo’s eyes were bloodshot, his neck was swollen, and he was drooling. When I asked him how the hunt went the only response I got was a monosyllabic grunt or two. And he kept asking me if I wanted to fight.

When he begged me to take him into town and drop him off, I knew it wasn’t a good idea but he smelled so bad I just wanted to get him out of the truck so I did it anyway. Then I went home and hit the sack. Well, along about 2:00 A.M. I got a call from the local police. I’m not saying I was on a first-name basis with Billy, ah, I mean Officer Smith, but any time Bo got into trouble, Officer Smith knew who to call. He asked me to meet him downtown at the local college bar, which I knew was not a good sign.

When I got there, there were two patrol cars parked at the curb, broken windows and chairs lying in the street, and three or four young men sitting on the curb having various cuts and bruises treated by the EMS crew. And Bo, sitting in the back of a patrol car. Witnesses said he had come through the front door at a trot, stopped in the middle of the dance floor, looked around wild-eyed and thrown his head back. Then he curled his upper lip and snorted.

At that point, no one paid much attention because that was fairly normal behavior back then, especially for fraternity members. But then, he started chasing women around the bar, which was also fairly normal except that none of these women were under 60 and it scared the heck out of them. That’s when the bartender knew he had a problem on his hands and called the cops. By the time the cops arrived, Bo had herded all the young women into the ladies room and was battering their dates, charging at them with his head down. He also pawed at the carpet with his boots and urinated in the corner.

It took three officers to subdue him, but they got him handcuffed and in the patrol car.

We both graduated a few months later, and I moved away. Bo stayed in town. He doesn’t hunt very much any more, but last I heard he had bought the local sporting goods store and was the regional distributor for Tink’s.

So be careful with that stuff.

rost495
06-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Thanks for being so open with all the help. I sure hope I'm not around any of ya'll when I screw the elk up for us !! You' won't deserve hunting next to a newbie.

I had forgotten about the coolers and block ice, yep thats on the list for sure. And you are right about moving etc... I think we'll only take half the food for sure now. Someone is bound to shoot one out of the 3 of us within the first days, OTOH we can't hunt but a few days and that may change what we carry. Could well carry a few days food while scouting and once finding what we want, set up and go back and get some food! Unfortunately I dont think we'll be close to a supply of steaks.

Here is where you can help me again. We can hunt a max of 5 days. I"m assuming that in a good cooler with block ice, and in the back of the truck in the camper, the elk will be fine for 5 days. I keep all my deer on ice for 7 days or more before cutting anyway. But I"m all ears for advice.

Thanks again, Jeff

Chris57
06-06-2006, 08:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by rost495:
Thanks for being so open with all the help. I sure hope I'm not around any of ya'll when I screw the elk up for us !! You' won't deserve hunting next to a newbie. </div></div>My appologies, if my post came off wrong. I was smiling when I wrote it, and should've added a smiley face.

After reading Smokes post I may have to reconsider using those scent wafers. I can't afford to act any stupider! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

One thing nice about the wafers, is the scent is solid and you don't have any spill problems.

Smokepole
06-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Rost, I haven't had a problem with keeping one on ice that long, but you'd want to drain the water off periodically so it's not sitting in water and replenish the ice a time or two. When you put that much warm meat in a cooler it'll melt a lot of the ice just cooling it down at first. And check the CO regs for keeping the tag with the meat and transferring meat to your buddies if you split up when you drive home, and don't forget about leaving proof of *** attached to a quarter.

And I've gotta say, if you have a cooler full of ice you're always close to a supply of steaks if you want to be and cold beer, for that matter. You just have to have a way to cook the steaks, like a small grill that will fit over a campfire.

rost495
06-08-2006, 05:38 AM
haha, you are right again on the steaks!! I didn't think that far in advance.

Hear ya on the draining. Most likely will try to park the truck uphill so we can pull the drains and let it run down the bed and out. Coated bed. And hear ya on the meat heat, I hope that the meat will be hanging at least overnite to chill out before we hit the truck. That will help the ice greatly!!

Only one vehicle so no biggie there. And I believe in leaving the proof of *** attached and usually even toss a zip tie to it to be a bit safer.

Got a small titanium pan so should be good on steaks with the pocket rocket or fire adn some rocks. For that matter the wood stove might work fine too if its not too hot at night!

Jeff

Kevin
06-08-2006, 07:23 AM
Rost, bring some olive oil and good teriyaki for the steaks adding a little bourbon. Yum.

Where, generally, will you be?

In general, elk bed on north slopes and eat grasses. They won't be in the meadows until after dark so looking for them should be focused inbetween the two. Don't disturb the beds, and the elk tend to remain in the area.

Look for a finger ridge running north off a north facing ridge. That makes a good escape route, and route to food. Bust the beds up above, and watch the elk run down the finger ridge. If the area has a fickle wind, you may never even notice it happening.

Good luck, glad you're coming up.

Smokepole
06-08-2006, 08:27 AM
rost, I've never tried to cook a steak in a Ti pan, but I have used the small folding grills a lot. You can't beat a steak grilled over the coals, IMO. I know, it's added weight, but some luxuries like that are worth it. I just cringe at the thought of a 2-inch thick rib-eye in a Ti pot. Have some scruples, man!!!!!

rost495
06-12-2006, 07:34 AM
Kevin

North end of EAgles Nest Wilderness. Thanks for the xtra tips.

Smoke-- gotcha again, I get anal at times, then others I drift off like packing a tube of silicon for tent holes just in case..... I'll get some type of grill top and set it on rocks. Probably try to get an old oven rack or something and cut it down a bit. For coals, what wood and what does it look like? IE I would not want to grill over cedar coals down here and dont' know anything about the wood in CO. I know Aspen and spruce basically but other than that I'm lost.

Damnation now it seems my nephew and I have caught the whooping cough and his mother may have just started also..... What next?

Jeff

Smokepole
06-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Rost, most anything you'll find up there would work but if you have a choice I'd say go for spruce. Aspen burns hot, but fast, coals don't last very long. Spruce burns hot, and longer.

Kevin
06-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Rost, north of Eagles Nest? Unit 36?

Piney Peak area?

Chris57
06-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Kevin,

I'm pretty sure he is talking the east side of Elliot's ridge.

rost495
06-13-2006, 02:00 PM
I"d have swore I posted a reply.... anyway-- Piney Peak might be close as looking at quad maps we'd probably fall into that quadrangle. West of Elliots ridgel. Soda Lakes trailhead for starters.

Jeff

Kevin
06-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Okay, that's GMU 36. You should email me, I'll tell you where you can find a few....but, I'll also let you know up front, that you'll have to carry him out uphill.

We never saw much but deer in the Soda Lakes area.