PDA

View Full Version : First Call-In of my Life

Westy
04-18-2006, 06:26 PM
I have been out the past few days in the panhandle of Idaho trying to implement all the knowledge and great advice I have gotten from this forum...in other words, I've been trying to find elk when I haven't been able to before. In one area, I have figured out where the elk are bedded, feeding, and their main travel routes. I've seen more elk in the past three days than I had in the past three years (not exagerating).

Yesterday, I saw 11 elk, one of which I called in with a diaphram call from 300 yards across a clearcut to 19 paces where she grazed for five minutes before I started laughing with excitement. The attached picture is after she had come in. I have only started to learn to call this year, so this is just one more first for the day.

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/6ada6d1277.jpg

Sawtooth
04-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Great job, Westy! That's what it's all about...living out there. REALLY living.

wyoelk
04-18-2006, 06:39 PM
You screwed up big by calling that elk in... it will quickly become an addiction. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Bushcraft
04-18-2006, 06:45 PM
Not that I have a problem with it per se...but I'm pretty sure F&G would have a problem with you taking game out of season. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

wyoelk
04-18-2006, 07:11 PM
there is a grouse season? Didnt know that.. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Fullcurl
04-18-2006, 07:17 PM
Heck, from the title of your post I thought you were going to say you talked to Dr. Laura or Rush Limbaugh or something.

snakey2
04-19-2006, 09:03 AM
Congrats on your adventure. Maybe this fall it will be elk tenderloins roasting over the fire instead of grouse!

Hanzo
04-19-2006, 09:05 AM
Westy,

Looks like your luck in finding elk has changed for the better, congrats! I look forward to seeing some pics of you next to a big one once the season comes around.

Westy
04-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks guys. I think luck is when preparedness and opportunity meet...you guys have helped me prepare to look for the right things and be in the right places. I'll keep preparing and hopefully opportunities keep presenting themselves. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sandbrew
04-20-2006, 07:24 AM
Westy check your PMs

Westy
04-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Hey guys, I want to apologize for the grouse...truly didn't realize it was out of season (didn't realize there was a season for grouse...completely my blunder), and I feel horrible as I try to follow regs by the letter. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I removed that picture from the original post. Thanks again for your kind words about the elk...

A humbled hunter,

Mark

Hanzo
04-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Yeah, that sucks...

Did they taste good? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif