PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Phone Rentals

imported_rooster
02-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Anyone have any satellite phone rental experience? Might be good emergency item for extended periods in wilderness/backcountry or calling in a little extra help for packing out heavy game.

Norm 66
02-15-2006, 07:31 PM
I rented a sat phone a couple of years ago while goat hunting in Oregon. It proved to be a great addition to my pack. We used it to let the packer know we had spiked into another basin and he could pick up our camp while we chased a billy. We went as far as scheduling our pick up at a trail head. It ended up saving a 25 mile hump with a goat and camp on my back. We rented from a company called Day Wireless. After having the insurance of being able to have a life line I'd like to own one.

Dale Lindsley
02-15-2006, 09:13 PM
I rented a Globalstar satellite phone (cheaper than Iridium) last fall for a drop camp trip in Washington State. It worked fine and eased my wife's mind. If the weight's not an issue, it's a good safety net.

imported_rooster
02-16-2006, 06:04 AM
Wow Thanks. Its good to get some confirmation here.

BrooklynBen
02-16-2006, 07:15 AM
The SAT phones are a great lifeline, but very pricey. Perhaps a more complicated (but WAY cheaper) route to this issue might be one of the new hand-held HAM units being discussed in this thread; (Found in the Military section)

http://forums.kifaru.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001272

At the very least it's an interesting option with no big long term fees. After getting a license, you potentially could own a good unit and use it for years for the price of renting a SAT phone for just one week.

James H.
02-20-2006, 07:08 AM
If there is no one that rents in your local area, you might want to try someplace like Roadpost.

http://www.roadpost.com/satellite/rental/iridium_a.asp

You might be able to find something at a better price but I can vouch for Roadpost's Iridium phones. I used one when I took a group to Newfoundland and it worked out great. The Globalstar I took to the same park two years earlier was not so great (batteries that die kind of defeats the purpose of the phone!) but it was probably more a user induced problem than a problem with the phone itself.

Word to wise, regardless of what phone you take, take the battery off the phone when it is not in use and always carry a spare!

Also note that regardless what the phone says you have used for airtime, the moment you hit "send" you have used a minute of airtime if it is one second or 60. The per minute costs can sneak up on you if you aren't careful. It is probabably better to have your Point of Contact call into your phone at a specific time each day if incoming calls are free anyways, although it will probably be a long distance call for the person making the call.