PDA

View Full Version : lightweight camo

curly
01-14-2006, 12:19 PM
I will be mountain hunting in Mongolia, the temperatures could get into the 70's, I will be taking my "spike camp".I need to find an unlined breathable shell in mountain camo, gore-tex or similar as there is a good chance of rain. Any ideas?

Bonasus
01-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Hello Curly and welcome to the Kifaru boards. I am a birdhunter primarily so I am not equipped to answer your question. I didn't want another day to go by without a proper welcome. I know that the US military has a camo pattern goretex shell which can be found on the internet. You might try a place like Campmor.com or sierratradingpost.com. I would think most internet military surplus retailers would have a variety of goretex shells from a variety of nations.

SuperBadger
01-16-2006, 09:02 AM
Another word of advice is that if you find a first generation ECWCS gore tex parka, it's going to have a liner, and it's going to be bulky. I know that arc'teryx now makes gore tex for law enforcement/military applications that comes in subdued tones, but I dont think it's available to civilians.....also, it's arc teryx so you'll probly pay 3-400 bucks for a jacket....but it would deffinetly be high quality low bulk and light weight.

CCH
01-16-2006, 09:28 AM
Does it have to be camo or would olive drab or similar work for you? Many of the lightweight, "breathable" jackets out now are available in muted colors, but seldom camo. How light of a jacket are you looking for? Browning has their Pac-lite Gore-tex available in OD and camo and it is relatively lightweight although not in the realm of the Marmot Pre-cip type stuff. It is quiet though. If it is going to be in the 70's, I'd want the lightest rain gear possible.

Don Browning
01-16-2006, 10:34 AM
My rain gear that I am excited about, and have tried out only this year is from Integral Designs and is made out of eVent fabric. I'll have to use it several years to see if it's better that the Browning gortex that I've worn out. Warning....they've taken eVent off the tent market, 'cause it's not fire retardant. It is waterproof and highly breatheable and EXPENSIVE.
Don

curly
01-16-2006, 12:42 PM
CCH, camo prefered but not essential. I am thinking along the lightweight but not so durable front, as rain will probably be fairly brief, not like here in the UK! And it will be in my pack most of the time. I have seen sone camo packable raingear by Froggtoggs that looks fairly interesting, to be handled with care I suspect though.

Dean
01-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Sport hill xc shirt and pant work well in warmer temps for me . For many years they only came in black . I have herd they are coming out in camo now but are a bit more than they should be money wise for the camo option. If you are just looking for a shirt and pant in camo look at the Cabelas Microtex in outfitters camo. Most of the good mountain gear is not available in camo , most of us just try to find something in polite colors of green , grey , or the brown family.For that type of hunting I have found that a better quality garment for moisture management is more prefered and will deal with it not being in camo. More than likely you will be hunting from above and hopefully your quary won't know your there until its too late. If they spot you from below most not all but most times camo will not help the situation.Another thing to look at that some are using is the tan fishing pants that Zip off at the knee with matching shirt. I have these and they dry extremely fast and are comfortable to wear.If you don't like the XC stuff by sporthill . try looking at the "houdini " by Patagonia it compresses reall small and will help block the wind .for rain gear I carry the marmot precip pant and a patagonia shell no longer in production but similar to their "torrent shell".Your milage may vary.

CCH
01-16-2006, 02:06 PM
If you don't have to have camo, it opens up your options quite a bit. Do a search on rain gear here and you should find plenty of info. Some people swear by the Frogg Toggs but I prefer something a bit more durable myself.

rambler_wannabe
01-17-2006, 08:27 AM
70 deg rain you need DWR supplex, not goretex. Any coated fabric will turn into a sauna if you are doing anything. I would rather be drenched from rain than from sweat at that temp just to avoid dehydration.

I would go with railrider pants and a Patagonia, railrider, or golite shirt or pullover over lightweight wool base layer. Have a poncho in your emergency pack just in case it starts raining harder/colder or you need to stop and glass for a while.

sdyotehunter
01-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Based on my limited experience (we don't get a lot of rain here) I would second the frogg toggs.

pinepig5
03-02-2006, 05:05 PM
http://www.icetactical.com/index.html

They sell an event hardshell in multicam and are getting a softshell in multicam that is good enough for light rain.

Leatherneck
03-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Why not just use it like what the military guys call a "stealth suit?" Buy a thin waterproof liner like Frogg Toggs, Goretex, or even non-breathable like Helly Impertech, and then wear a thin, but rugged Nylon/Cotton shirt over top of it. You can pick whatever camo you want then. The thin nyco blend should dry fairly quickly when it stops raining, plus it takes most of the beating from the bushes, etc. It also makes the waterproof layer a little more quiet too!

hunting1
03-06-2006, 04:43 AM
Cabelas has some very good breathable cammo. It is available in outfitter as well which I think is a good pattern and not just trendy blob. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

poel
03-07-2006, 06:14 PM
After reading these posts again and doing some checking, I realize that the DriDuds Mossy Oak Breakup suit I got last year for about $40 is the same material as FroggToggs. Good, light but a bit bulky, and probably a bit fragile for heavy brush.

While dedicated camo has a role, I think Leatherneck is right on about the practicality of a camo cover over more generic clothing. I've got a couple of 9' sections of nylon blind netting in different patterns that I have donned over rain gear or soft shells with a toga- or poncho-style wrap. It doesn't absorb water, makes for a very diffused outline and is close to a ghillie suit in effect. It weighs under a pound and it can be rolled up and stashed easily in a large pocket. Like a ghillie, it can snag a bit in brush.

Also, per RW's post, I got some Rail Rider pants on recommendation from him and others on the board. Thanks for that tip. I treated them with wash cycle WR and have been wearing them jogging in forest and brush in mixed sun, rain and snow showers for about a month now. Outstanding water repellencey, durability and comfort.

Okanogan
03-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Heretofore, clothing that is breathable and waterproof was a pipe dream. The softshells came pretty close 90% of the time but failed in heavy downpour. I took a Beyond Fleece Cold Play jacket (Khaki color) to Montana on a 2-week sheep hunt last Sept. during which I got rained and snowed on more than half the time. I never got wet (inside or outside) or had to slip on my Frogg Togg backup (I did put on the pants over my Railriders once). Though I love my BF jacket and it will serve me well most of the time, one must have a waterproof shell for serious rain. The new jacket that has caught my eye that should do it all including the cloudburst is another BF jacket (Beyondtactical.com). It's the Desert Military jacket at 22 oz. in coyote brown. It is a softshell with an eVent liner. This might be the Holy Grail of jackets. The eVent fabric is everything Gore-tex aspires to be--waterproof and breathable. ID used eVent in their famous Mk1 tents that the expedition guys used and loved. When ID was forced to abandon eVent these $500 tents were selling (used) for $800 on e-bay. High breathability which just about ended condensation except under the most extreme conditions was the virtue. ID is making clothing with eVent which is popular for those who can afford it. At $240 the BF jacket is the lowest price I've seen. It is custom fitted and comes with all kinds of useful extras (at additional cost) such as pit zips and hoods and all manner of pockets.

My rule for camo is I use it (face and hands included) where I'm close enough to make eye contact (50 yrs or closer, e.g. whitetails in the brush, bow hunting, turkeys). For mountian hunting earth tone colors are fine imo. The coyote brown looks great, as does the jacket, which you could wear to and from the hunt without looking like a commando on assignment.