PDA

View Full Version : Which Pack?

Tank_Killer
11-21-2002, 08:27 AM
I sent an e-mail to customer service, but I'm going to put this out here as well. I'm going to compete in the Bataan Memorial Death March in 2003 and am considering a Kifaru to use as a pack. I competed last year using a Gregory Shasta and had good luck, but I'd like to have something with a smaller profile. The rules require the ruck to weigh 35 lbs., so any pack I use must be able to handle this weight comfortably. Addtionally, I will be running much of the event. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Gunfighter
11-21-2002, 08:47 AM
Steve,
I have never heard of the Bataan Death March competition. What does the competition consist of? Where is it held? Sounds interesting. Please send some info as I am interseted in this subject.

Thanx,
Gunfighter

Tank_Killer
11-21-2002, 09:12 AM
Gunfighter,

You've got mail

Mel
11-21-2002, 10:48 AM
Hey Steve, I have your e-mail printed out in front of me as I write this. It sounds to me like the Pointman would be the pack of choice for this event. It will easily handle 35lb loads in comfort, and is very managable while running. What type of gear would you be carrying in the pack on this march/run? Please give me a call so we can talk in detail about the packs and the event. Toll free at (1-866-308-1911). This is a direct line to my house, and if anyone on the board here needs any questions answered about Kifaru products, or just wants to talk about gear, just give me a call. Oh, as a side note, if you haven't been on the Pointman page for awhile, we've added a new picture. It shows the great accessibility of this pack with the top and bottom open.

Mel

Tank_Killer
11-21-2002, 12:55 PM
Mel,

Thanks for the information. I ordered the Pointman and will be eagerly awaiting the big brown truck.

BuckarooMedic
11-22-2002, 09:02 AM
Tank_Killer -

Which catagory are you entering? My unit is getting our team ready for the March also. We were under the impression that rucks had to be "military issue". Comments? Have you done the March before? We had a couple of troops do it last year, they said it was pretty tough, but then again they didn't really do any training for it.

Take care and see you at White Sands -

Tank_Killer
11-24-2002, 07:37 PM
BuckarooMedic-

I'm entering the Male Heavy division. I'm in the NG, so I could enter the military heavy division if I wanted to. The military divison is filled with Rangers and other assorted studs, so I try to stay away from that. I almost entered the military division last year and wanted to run a Becker Patrol Pack. I called for clarification and the NCOIC of the march said "no problem". I think military issue means "OD or Woodland" to the organizers. If you are concerned about it, there is a link for rules clarification on the website. It's a great event and I strongly recommend doing it while there are still some Bataan vets left. I finished in 6:02 last year, which was fifth in the male heavy division. I'm hoping to shave about 30 minutes off my time this year. My unsolicited advice about Bataan is TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN. Seriously, start NOW. Good luck with your team. Hope to see you there.

Erick
12-01-2002, 12:59 AM
Does anyone have a link for this event?

Mel
12-01-2002, 11:46 AM
<a href="http://www.bataanmarch.com" target="_blank">http://www.bataanmarch.com (http://www.bataanmarch.com)</a>

It looks like an awesome event to me. Steve, give me a call when you can, as I have some questions concerning the march. Thanks.

Mel

Tank_Killer
12-01-2002, 05:40 PM
Mel,

I'll try to give you a call tonight. If anyone else has event questions, feel free to ask. I will be away from e-mail for until Friday. Give me a call at my work number (314) 292-2359 and leave me a voice mail. I check it regularly and will call you back. I'm not the Bataan guru by any stretch of the imagination, but I can answer logistics and course questions.