PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Javelina hunting?

Badger Matt
11-27-2005, 01:09 PM
I've got a hankerin' to try my hand at javelina hunting. Anyone out there who can tell me guided and/or unguided options?

Smokepole
11-27-2005, 08:07 PM
Where are you thinking about going, Texas maybe?

Nevada Dan
11-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Matt,

No experience here. However, have you looked at javelinahunter.com/? Lots of good info.- Click on the different links (try the "University" link). Also they used to offer to do the scouting for you and supply GPS waypoints. -Just a thought.

wyoelk
11-28-2005, 01:38 PM
We try to go to the San Carlos Reservation in Arizona every year. The tags are first come, first serve so you may not be able to get one this time of year.You usually have to get them around October. They may have some tags left for now in not that great of areas, low pig numbers. The hunting is great. Kind of like antelope hunting. If you screw up a stalk, dont worry, you should have plenty more chances. We only bowhunt them. I couldnt picture hunting one with a rifle, way too easy. Their eyesight is brutal and you should have no problem sneaking up on one. We would climb to the highest ridges in the morning and again in the evening to scope some out and than plan a stalk. One word of caution, do not cook one in your house while the wife is home, they will stink up a kitchen. They dont taste bad, just smell bad. You will not be appreciated for the smells that enter your kitchen.

Smokepole
11-29-2005, 05:27 AM
I've only hunted them in Texas, along with wild hogs, on my friend's place. The boars stink like wyo says, but we had some sows that didn't stink, and were good eating. I barbecued some tenderloins, and we served them to some folks who normally didn't eat much meat, and they loved it, very mild.