PDA

View Full Version : Hello could i get some help

Zachp
12-18-2018, 06:01 AM
Hello everyone I am in need of some help. I am getting back into hunting and in need of some help, I am having to go ultralight and have no idea where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bender
12-18-2018, 07:04 AM
What would you like to know Zach? There are a few different options but that will differ on what you plan on doing with your rig.

Jon S
12-22-2018, 09:41 AM
Tell us what you plan on doing, short hikes, elk, deer, antelope, moose, pheasant, squirrels? Where are you from, there's lots of experience and opinions for lots of options here, ask away and we'll help you get where you need to go. Kifaru is a great place to start.

shtfco
12-22-2018, 01:17 PM
Books have been written about this subject so just nail down what questions you have. To start Do not skimp on boots or Pack. Id start here. Stay away from Walmart target stuff. Find something that fits your feet and is comfortable then go research them. Once you have those 2 then you can move on to Cook stuff Sleep system, and the smaller details. Do you plan to bow hunt or rifle?

shtfco
12-22-2018, 01:20 PM
Also There are some Videos on youtube called what's in my pack. Most of them are done by Exo friends but they have some fantastic suggestions on these videos and will give you a good idea of what you need to take into the field.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Whats+in+my+pack

flamingo 7
12-24-2018, 02:19 PM
shtfco is spot on with the boots and pack, but I would also add your sleep system. A good nights sleep makes a world of difference in the backcountry. Another great place to start is here http://www.kifaru.net/essays.html
I'd start with the essay "Getting further back", but they're all good.

Sawtooth
01-28-2019, 08:33 PM
Zachp,

Start your weight reduction with the big items first. You will gain more weight reduction with those than you will with the small stuff. Here are the items I recommend you start with looking at lighter weight versions...

1. Shelter
2. Backpack
3. Sleeping bag
4. Sleeping pad
4. Food
5. Cook system (stove, pots, etc)
6. Rain Gear
7. Clothing (including insulating layers)

A couple of things I will not skimp on... boots and bedding. Get the best you can afford on both. If you can get a good night's rest, everything will be better the next morning!