PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a black bear skin

bigbore442001
09-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Several years ago, I handgunned a nice black bear in the Pine Tree State. I have had the skin tanned and it has been in a storage box for a few years.

I am in the process of reorganizing my place and I want to something with it. I need some ideas. I have two bear heads on the wall right now so a third isn't needed( unless I shoot a really big one this fall in the Granite State) .

Would a fur hat be appropriate? A rug? Any other ideas? Thank you.

Huntsman22
09-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Make yerself a gen-u-ine pair of old-time wooly chaps. Bear beats angora. Then move to Montana and get a job as a cowpoke........

Or make a wall hanging and shear a indian design or outdoor scene on 'er with hair clippers. Hoop it in willow and lace with whang leather for a real conversation starter..... Yer welcome.

Ralph
09-14-2005, 05:44 PM
I use a smallish black bear skin as a rug beside my bed. Nice to dig the toes in on a cold winter morning. You could also make throw pillows as well as a hat. The local sewing store has patterns, maybe you could find one for a nice trooper style hat.

The classic appraoch is to neatly trim the edges and sew to 2-3 layers of felt. Different colors are nice, stairstep the felt lining. That makes a rug or a wall hanging.

Ksnake
09-14-2005, 05:52 PM
If you use a long bow, it would make a nice quiver.

poel
09-14-2005, 05:56 PM
H22 - As us old guys say, YIPPEE YI YO K-Y!!. Love the bear chaps idea. Great post. :p

anthracitic
09-14-2005, 08:11 PM
If you're serious about a pair of bearskin chaps, there is a leatherworking outfit in Chugwater Wy. that makes this item. I've inspected pair of them and found the workmanship and design outstanding. I'd surely like to have a pair of them myself.