PDA

View Full Version : Gore Tex bib Alterations ??

rost495
08-01-2005, 10:56 AM
Hi All

First, I'm posting here so this gets the most coverage. Forgive if its not quite the right place.

Bought some none too cheap insulated goretex bibs for my wife for an upcoming trip. We mail order since we are rural. Got the "right" size yet the legs are too long. I expected that. We are adjusting the suspenders by having a local seamstress cut and resew as needed. The legs have flaps over the side zippers. With snaps holding the flaps in place. We need to cut a bit off the length and that will require a new #10 zipper which I think I can find for the seamstress. And I can get a new snap for the one that will be cut off the bottom and rivet it in place.

Heres the question. We'll have to take a bit of stiching out to remove the original zipper. And then sew the new one back in and then re hem the bottom of the leg by sewing.

Does this affect anything that I need to know about and I suspect I should spray the new areas with a goretex approved spray again?

Thanks for any input. BTW its Bass Pro gear. I don't see that they offer alterations. And its moot anyway since its much easier to deal with someone that we can show what we want done rather than write it down and mail it around.

Thanks, Jeff

Smackdaddyj
08-01-2005, 11:15 AM
It sounds like you have this pretty figured out. I guess as far as the resewing, just keep in mind that anywhere you puncture the gortex with a sewing needle will allow water to pass through. If she has fairly tall boots, this will be a moot point, if not, then silicone spray will probably take care of the problem. Worse case, you can take a small amount of pure silicone from Walmart and seam seal them like the Kifaru Tents.

Personally, I would make the alterations, and then test them to see if they leaked and how bad. I would progress from that point with silicone spray or glue as needed.

Hope this helps,

Smackdaddyj

Ralph
08-01-2005, 12:19 PM
You can get #10 zipper and pulls from Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics (owfinc.com). However, since you are shortening the legs, why not use the existing zipper? Remove with a seam ripper, relocate and cut off the surplus at the top. If it's the coil type you can sew right through it. If the formed tooth type you can sew up to the tooth.

I recommend a tube of SilNet for sealing rather than silicone bathtub sealant.

Rusty Hook
08-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Rost495: It seems to me that it would be a lot simpler to have the seemstress cut a section out of the upper leg and reattach it. No zippers or reseaming needed. If waterproofing is a concern, just seam seal the new seam with the sealer of your choice or what Ralph recomended...Rusty.

Dennis in VA
08-03-2005, 07:21 AM
Try Rainy Pass Repair. I had them to repair a cut in the leg of a pair of Ambush Cloth / GoreTex pants. They done an EXCELLENT job!
<a href="http://www.rainypass.com" target="_blank">http://www.rainypass.com (http://www.rainypass.com)</a>

rost495
08-03-2005, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the input so far!!! Seems my seamstress thinks we can get by with sewing a knot of thread on the end of the cut off zipper and do just fine as all it has to do is stop the zipper.

If not I"m thinking of crimping on a couple of brass knock sets at the bottom for bow strings. All it has to do is stop the zipper and thats much less work than ripping and resewing/replacing.

Jeff