PDA

View Full Version : Gaiters for grass seed

Smokepole
07-31-2005, 07:24 AM
I went out for a 2-hour stroll this AM with my new Long Hunter to get accustomed to it. That was the lightest 50 lbs. I've carried in a while.

Anyway, this reminded me of a problem I've wanted to fix for a while now--grass seed vs. Smart Wool, or any other socks for that matter. When I get a couple of bootfuls of grass seed, those little spears get really irritating and also tear up the socks when you pull them out.

Any of you guys know of a good, short-length gaiter with a soft finish on the outside so it's reasonably quiet for hunting?

Randy
07-31-2005, 08:34 AM
Try Mountain Hardware; they used to have a shorter gaiter made of stretchy material to keep seeds, dirt and grit out your boots. I believe Outdoor Research also has a short, light-weight gaiter that is similar.

Sawtooth
07-31-2005, 10:40 AM
Smoke,

These are good gaiters if you're boots have relatively low tops...

http://www.orgear.com/home/style/home/gaiters/gaiters_trail/61055

These are what I'm going to use with my trail runners. My problem is with little bitty pebbles and dirt getting into my shoes.

DJ
07-31-2005, 11:40 AM
I've had good luck with these (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000& productId=47612298&parent_category_rn=4501452&vcat =REI_SEARCH) from REI as well. Super light and they don't trap heat.

Ed T
08-01-2005, 06:45 AM
Smoke,

Like Sawtooth I use the OR Flex-Tex, prety much year around.

I have tried a dozen different shorty gaiters and I keep coming back the the OR Flex-Tex.

One thing I do with all gaiters that use an instep cord, is to run the cord thru a piece of plastic tubing like they use for people on oxygen. The tubing serves dual purpose, it will greatly extend the life of the instep cord and it will help keep snow from clumping on the instep. With a bare cord you get some fraying, then in wet snow you end up with platform trail runners. Not a good thing unless you are modeling at a fishnet fashion show. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Be sure to position the cord in the hollow of the shoe so you don't have a ridge sticking out.

A couple other tips for the gaiters, thou them in the washing machine ocassionally. It will keep them breathable and the snaps will work better. And if the snaps get stiff use a little silicone grease or even petroleum jelly.

Ed T

Smokepole
08-01-2005, 03:28 PM
Thanks Ed and others. But one question, how come every time I ask a gear question, it's always this same group that responds?

I think I know the answer. My wife once remarked that "my room" in our basement (where I store all my gear) looked like a warehouse for Cabelas.

I bet you guys all have store rooms that look like warehouses for Cabelas, REI, and Sportsmans Warehouse, combined.

Am I right about that?

Sawtooth
08-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Smoke,

Here are just a few of the contents of my "office" here at home:

Rolltop desk with my computer (loaded with countless maps, etc.)

Oak office table with printer, photo printer, countless firearm, hunting, edible plants, etc. books.

Oak wall locker full of books.

Reloading bench (thanks Don!)

Book case with even more hunting, survival, classic outdoor, reloading, etc. books

Shoved under the reloading bench are daypacks, misc. hunting gear.

Sitting all over the floor (neatly) are LongHunter (loaded with summer ramble contents) and also my gear bag for fly fishing.

Hanging on the back of the office door is my fly vest loaded and ready to go

In the corner are snowshoes, trekking poles, rod tubes, my compound bow, my daughter's recurve and quiver, etc., etc.

Shoved under the office table are range boxes, gun vices, cleaning rods, etc., etc.

Oh yeah, also hanging on the corner of the office door are my waders, which are turned inside out to dry.

And this isn't all...this does not include firearms.

This is a 16'X16' room. It's FULL.

I've heard Cleve's garage is EVEN WORSE!!!

imported_kutenay
08-01-2005, 06:46 PM
I have one small bedroom lined with stackable plastic shelving which is full of packs, tents, bags and all the rest. Then, I have another with one gun safe, thousands of handloads, three dozen guns, loading gear and bench, manuals and all that stuff. The third one contains my books, desk, maps and this computer which is my wife's and then there is a strongbox in the room outside our bedroom that has several leveractions and my Benelli Nova and other guns I seldom look at anymore....but NEED!

This is after a rigourous cleanout and disposal of guns, packs, bags and so forth during the past couple of years.....this is normal, isn't it???????

Sawtooth
08-01-2005, 07:01 PM
kute,

Perfectly normal.

PS: I just found a Barbie doll under my chair. It's not mine.

Smokepole
08-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Kute:

I think you need to get rid of most of that stuff.

I can help. PM on the way.

Never mind, I'd probably have to trade some of my stuff for your stuff, and my stuff is just too valuable.

Sawtooth
08-01-2005, 08:26 PM
kutenay and ed t can probably relate to this...

When you live in the boonies (I do) and you go to enough barn sales, you eventually end up with your same stuff right back in your own house.

And when you go over to the neighbor's, you feel right at home because, hey, there's your stuff sitting right there in THEIR living room.

Ed T
08-01-2005, 08:36 PM
You guys should try to find room for 50+ pairs of size 13 running shoes. A couple weeks ago I cleaned out and took 22 pairs to Goodwill, left me with 47 pair and then another six new pairs showed up within a week! Hell, Imelda Marcos would have been green with envy over my shoe collection.
I have gear scattered about in four buildings. I do have certain rules thou. For instance 8 pairs of snowshoes is OK 10 is too many. Packs seem to be like rabbits. You toss 4 or 5 in a corner, next thing you know there are 12. I did go from six kayaks to zero and have been at zero for over three years now, although that Current Designs Caribou is calling my name.

Some people collect stamps or coins, I collect gear. Use the hell out of it too.

Ed T

imported_kutenay
08-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Jeez, I thought that five sleeping bags, including the I.D. North Twin I just ordered, seven packs including two "retired" ones kept for sentimental reasons and seven pair of varied mountain boots with one more on the way was bad! I feel MUCH better now and think that I am almost finished with buying gear, although I would like a 6 or 8 man tipi and maybe a "Navigator" for short fishing/hiking trips and a crf Rambler and a canoe.....HELP!

Cleve
08-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Sawtooth wrote:
""I've heard Cleve's garage is EVEN WORSE!!!""

Amen brother! We bought this house 11 years ago and a car has never been parked in the garage to make room for 2 canoes and all the gear for paddling and river running and teaching canoeing, camp stoves, multiple backpacks and tents (and I just ordered a Kifaru Para-tipi and stove!!!), Tele/downhill/XC skis, bicycles. Plus tools, gardening equipment, freezer, boxes full of books....

I'd have to admit it could all be organized better--but I can always find what I'm looking for. And it wouldn't end up making much room even if I got all "Type A" about it.

Been an outdoorsman my whole life and have worked at REI for over 22 years. The stuff I "need" just keeps adding to the congestion in the garage.

How come Daniel Boone and the boys got along fine with what they could carry tucked in their belts and slung in a possibles bag?

---Cleve

Sawtooth
08-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Because they didn't have REI.

Yolla Bolly
08-02-2005, 05:19 AM
My gear room has taken a big hit---invaded by the trappings of a wedding, for Pete'e sake. Hope it all disappears after November, but there are strong rumors the other twin is getting engaged, so the process will probably repeat. Last week had to rescue the top pocket from the long-hunter from under a pile of white gauze. Figure I will have to wash everything before I head out in 2 weeks, because I am pretty sure there are strange odors attached to the invaders.

DJ
08-02-2005, 07:36 AM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about. My limited gear selection fits neatly in a little cubby hole. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Ed T
08-02-2005, 08:45 AM
DJ,

Thats only because you are Mr Wizzard when it comes to packing and organizing. I think you have a shrinking machine. Don't know for a fact but I suspect when traveling, your 100 lb Labs are reduced to the size of a small cat, only to emerge from the topper at full size. If I could pack as good as you, I could probably pack everything I own including my truck into a Longhunter Guide.

Ed T

DJ
08-02-2005, 10:43 AM
If that were the case I would have been reduced to a walking hernia years ago. The dogs are inflatable, just like my.....nah, let's not go there. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

GSV45
08-02-2005, 07:58 PM
One of our bedrooms is a dedicated gear room.

I still have room in there for a weight bench and a nice stairclimber so I must need more stuff. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I'm kinda in a funk because I need to buy some new "respectable shoes" for work. It really feels like I'm wasting money. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif I'd rather buy some new Chaco sandals.

Cabelas opens here on August 25th...wahoo!

Vernon
08-03-2005, 05:29 AM
Anybody thats been in this game for a while certainly has a "room" or rooms that the gear seems to have taken over. I'm currently building a second kitchen in my basement for processing game and fish and canning vegetables from the garden and fruit (after I get it planted). The gear area is scheduled for after that (well, really after new windows, etc.). Right now my gear including 5 backpacks, a canoe, 2 mountain bikes, guns, recurve bow, 4 fishing rods, numerous stoves and clothes, probably a dozen pairs of boots/shoes, cross-country skis, etc. is split between the basement, attic and my study. Now I've just got to figure out how to configure a storage area to efficiently handle all this stuff, oh, and to hold the new stuff /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Randy
08-06-2005, 10:17 AM
I thought I was the only one with gear spilling over. I've got all my clothes packed in different duffels depending on the trip. 2 big trunks with all kinds of misc stuff in them, packs on the wall, a 30 gal drum filled with hiking poles, snow wands, ropes, crampons and ice axes, a little corner in the tack room with my reloading bench and usually at least one of those packs and duffels in the house getting ready to go or just coming back. The rest of the tack room is full of, you guessed it, horse tack, a commercial sewing machine and all that stuff you need but never use. Good to hear I'm in good company here:)