PDA

View Full Version : Next Rondy

widowshooter
06-03-2017, 12:20 PM
What's the plan for the next Rondy as the last one had weather complications?

Patrick
06-10-2017, 10:50 AM
As friend Sawtooth has said re the snow dump that knocked out our traditional May Rendezvous this year, its very unusual for that to happen.
And as I look at my schedule for the summer all I see is a straight string of visitors and booked trips. I suspect most of us have full summers; summers tend to be like that. The May Rondy date has served us well all these years for that very reason.

So. I think our best option is to put the 2017 Rondy into the books as the Great Blizzard Wipeout and plan on assembling next year for our 2018 iteration. Keep your powder dry gentlemen.

widowshooter
06-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Sounds good, I look forward to the next one.

flamingo 7
06-12-2017, 07:22 AM
 Future generations of historians would come to understand that the Great Rendezvous of the early 21st century were doomed from the start. By 2017 the great herds of steel targets were a thing of the past. The coyote tree had failed to yield up its fruit for several years. The participants, men who sought solitude and seclusion were feeling the crush of civilization. Marijuana was discovered in Colorado in 2012 and in the rush that followed, there came not only the prospectors hoping to get rich, but also the straphangers and hangers-on hoping to tap in to that new wealth. Timberline went under in 2010. Not long after that they lost their rangemaster, not to sweet death, but to better fortunes. The Great Kifaru Trading Company was changing too. Their patronage remained strong, but gone were the Long Hunters and Late Seasons. The Ultralights and Koalas made a brief appearance, but were soon lost, swallowed up and replaced by newfangled packs with “pockets”.
And so the men moved south. Looking for untrammeled ranges where they could hone their skills without interruption. Where they could shoot and sing. Drink and tell lies and revel in the company of like-minded men. Men like the great patron Patrick. Men with the right timber, like Smokepole and Singleshot, Ozark Rambler and Sawtooth, Kmassaro and Widdowshooter, and all the others who used to stuff the Great 34Man at the height of the celebration. They moved south, where it’s rumored that they still meet.
Reports occasionally leak out from the Great Tierra Amarilla Land Grant of strange goings on there. Ranch hands searching the remote reaches of the ranch for lost cattle have reported singing and the smell of wood smoke. Reports of a single gunshot in the pre-dawn light have also been heard. One year a cleanly skinned coyote was discovered hanging from a tree and nearby a single 204 Ruger casing under a tuft of grass. There is even a blurry photo of what appears to be a giant tipi with smoke wafting from its peak, and what could be two men talking outside. But this is also the lair of the last of the Great Bears in Colorado. Colorado Parks and Wildlife have assured us that the grizzly is extinct in Colorado and so must be the Great Rendezvous. Who would seek out these wild places? Who indeed.

Huntsman22
06-12-2017, 09:40 AM
 The coyote tree had failed to yield up its fruit for several years.

only because the 'fruitcake' that filled that tree with coyote fruit, missed showing up for those few years.......

flamingo 7
06-12-2017, 09:50 AM
and was missed.

sab
06-12-2017, 12:28 PM
Great stuff, F7!

Regards,
Scott

widowshooter
06-12-2017, 10:06 PM
That was a great read Flamingo7, hats off good sir.

Zane Rakes
06-13-2017, 09:18 AM
Thanks F7, that gave me a good laugh...
FYI: I actually made it to the rondy site this year and spent a couple of days with Patrick...it was excellent to say the least. Cold & muddy, but excellent.

FS38
06-23-2017, 09:21 PM
What's the plan for the next Rondy as the last one had weather complications?

Who all can attend these gatherings?

flamingo 7
06-24-2017, 01:22 PM
As a rule all are welcome.

robcollins
06-24-2017, 03:39 PM
Who all can attend these gatherings?

If they'd let me in, they'll take pretty much anybody. They're a fun time with a lot of like-minded folks. There are a few of us up in Washington and Oregon who sporadically do them too. They're a little more selective. (I ain't been out there, yet!)

Sawtooth
06-26-2017, 05:52 AM
Ah F7, you're eloquence was refreshing this early morning! 'Tis true...as with the mountain men of old, we've done some migrating, moving farther away from the ant farm that is the Front Range. We have a great spot...a more remote spot...where the deer and antelope play (and the elk, coyotes, mountain lions, turkeys, bears, etc.). We Colorado Kifaruites also have a hike-in backcountry rondy (a backpack affair) which may just find it's way south and west as well from the old location. This time to find better fishing.

Smokepole
08-06-2017, 08:29 PM
Where they could shoot and sing.

LOL flamingo!!

But sing??