PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru Colorado Winter Rendezvous - Potential Dates

Sawtooth
11-29-2016, 04:23 PM
Howdy all! I'm looking ahead a couple of months and planning out the Kifaru Colorado Winter Rondy. How do these dates look?

FEBRUARY 18-19, 2017

Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel!

COShunter
11-30-2016, 11:13 AM
Sawtooth:
Those dates would work for me.
In case we don't visit before, Have a Very Merry Christmas
Rex

welpro222
11-30-2016, 04:43 PM
Can someone come pick me up here in Washington?

Sawtooth
11-30-2016, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I'll be right over!

Zane Rakes
12-01-2016, 10:17 AM
Is there a planned location yet?

welpro222
12-01-2016, 11:51 AM
I moved to Longmont, CO back in 2001-2002 right after high school and wish I would have discovered backpack hunting and Kifaru back then. I probably would have still been living in Colorado, it is beautiful country.

Sawtooth
12-01-2016, 07:03 PM
Zane,

Yes, we have a location. We've had the winter rondy in a couple of spots, all within a one-mile radius. A 2-mile ski/snowshoe trek, easy uphill all the way. Narrow, snowpacked road from the blacktop up to the trailhead requires 4WD. RSVP's will get detailed driving and foot-powered directions to the campsite. It's west of Denver about an hour and a half or so on a good day.

Zane Rakes
12-02-2016, 08:16 AM
Zane,

Yes, we have a location. We've had the winter rondy there since its inception. A 2-mile ski/snowshoe trek, easy uphill all the way. Narrow, snowpacked road from the blacktop up to the trailhead requires 4WD. RSVP's will get detailed driving and foot-powered directions to the campsite. It's west of Denver about an hour and a half or so on a good day.

Thanks Sawtooth,
I really want to make it this year and driving up to Denver is fairly easy for me.

Sawtooth
12-02-2016, 01:14 PM
Good deal, Zane. It'll be great to meet you!

MojoSlim
12-02-2016, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I'll be right over!

Swing by my place on the way :)

eknopins
12-03-2016, 06:26 AM
Looks good to me as it avoids Valentine's Day. If I stay on the same schedule I will go up early.

Sawtooth
12-11-2016, 04:01 PM
I predict that if we go with these dates, JonS and I, and possibly a couple of others, will stay up there late too since it's a long weekend for some.

Sawtooth
12-20-2016, 09:13 PM
Dates are set. 18-19 February 2017. See you there!

jljmonky
01-23-2017, 09:50 AM
Thinking about going this year... Where is it (yes, I know, Colorado, specifics... I only say that because I am a smarta$$ and know what I would say)?

Is anyone coming from the Midwest? Carpool?

Closest Airport/Train Station? Any way to bum a ride from either of those? Should I go all the way to Frisco or just to Denver?

Just have to sell the wife on it and figure out how to finance an extra trip this year.

Jon S
01-23-2017, 06:33 PM
It's north of Silverthorne, I bet if you fly into Denver, someone can help. Maybe me or someone else can offer a ride. There are also folks heading up from C. Springs area that I am sure would offer a ride if you need.
My wife and kids may stay behind and I am planning on going up.
Jon

eknopins
02-02-2017, 02:25 PM
Is anyone going to bring a Tut shelter to the winter Rondy? I am thinking of replacing my smaller shelter with one but I would like take a look at one first. One of the nice aspects of the Rondy is checking out gear and techniques.

Sawtooth
02-02-2017, 06:16 PM
eknopkins,

I don't know anyone who has one, but I'll check with Patrick to see if he has one at his disposal that he could bring.

eknopins
02-10-2017, 10:39 AM
Am I correct is assuming that the rondy will be in the same location as last year's?
If plans do not change I will go up early Friday and come back Sunday morning. I could take 1 or 2 people with me. I will leave from the Denver area. Not sure what shelter I will take but I can take an 8 man. If I feel up to it I will make a snow cave as I have done in the past.

Does anyone have a recent report of conditions such as snow depth

robcollins
02-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Am I correct is assuming that the rondy will be in the same location as last year's?
If plans do not change I will go up early Friday and come back Sunday morning. I could take 1 or 2 people with me. I will leave from the Denver area. Not sure what shelter I will take but I can take an 8 man. If I feel up to it I will make a snow cave as I have done in the past.

Does anyone have a recent report of conditions such as snow depth
Yep, same spot. I'm hoping to be heading in Friday morning too. When I was in there a few weeks ago, there was a good 4', who knows what additional snow/consolidation has done.

There's a few stashes of cut wood, one stacked, one piled (none split) and a few trees to be worked yet. I'll be bringing a saw, splitter, & wedge. Not sure when everyone else is rolling in...

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk