PDA

View Full Version : Do I really want a Kirfaru?

Alfred E. Neuman
10-22-2002, 03:39 PM
I have been fairly frustrated with rucks in the past.

US GI Mediums were a bit too small, too heavy and the external frame subject to damage. It is also noisy.

US GI Large extend too far out the back and the balance is poor.

I added an Alipad by High Speed Gear and the comfort level increased tremendously. It does however add weight. My medium ruck with alipad and frame is 7.5 pounds before I put anything in it.

I have tried both the large and medium Becker Patrol rucks. Medium was too small and put all the weight on the shoulders (too short on my body). The large Becker was ok but a bit too large. It was well made but still road a bit too far aft.

I have a Vortex civilian ruck which is about 2800 cu. It rides wonderfully and I love it. I could use a bit more room....say 3500 cu. The problem is that it is not very durable (for military use) and does not have attach points.

I do not plan to jump in it and plan to keep the weight down to under 50lbs. Living in Utah however, much of the gear will be bulky winter clothing.

(I feel like I am writing a Dear Abby)

What do you guys think? Recommendations?

By the way. Is Kifaru made in California or Utah? Several of you mentioned you were moving to Utah and were going to visit the factory.

What unit in Utah? The 19th SFG? I have two para rigger buddies in that unit.

Alfred E. Neuman
10-22-2002, 03:41 PM
Forgive the typo. KIFARU

Kmassaro
10-22-2002, 04:41 PM
The 4000 cubic inch Navigator is the pick of the litter. I'm not a soldier, I'm a hunter, but I've seen the design from the prototype stages and tried on one of the very first green versions. It's like the Barbie doll of packs, you can find any kind of accessory you want for it.

Recce Gear
10-23-2002, 03:33 PM
First off, Kifaru packs are made in Colorado.

Now to help you in your quest, I would recommend the Pointman for a pack. It comes in at 3000 ci and has a lot of versatility based on the numerous pocket configurations that can be had. I recently had the opportunity to try on the Pointman for myself and it was a real treat. I also played with a few pocket configurations that I had been thinking about. On the pack, I put 2 2qt/utility pockets on one side with a long pocket on the opposite side and a back pouch between those. Then I placed another 2qt/utility pocket on the top flap. Total volume came in at around 5600 ci and still had a very compact and small profile, even with all of the pockets. This is definitly my next purchase, but with a few mods of my own design. The Navigator is an awesome pack as well but I am not a big fan of panel loaders. Kifaru packs are the ****. I dont think you will find another company that places more heart and thought into there designs than Kifaru, their packs are well designed, constructed, and extremely comfortable.

Alfred E. Neuman
10-23-2002, 06:07 PM
Thanks for your replys.

How about durability? How would you compare it to a military pack as far as something that can take abuse?

eggroll
10-28-2002, 02:54 PM
durability?

These packs will stand up to any how the highspeed civy counterparts

They outdo USGI packs by far, and a good chunk of so called combat packs out in the market.

durability? Any pack will eventually fail, it depends on how you take care of it

I have packed 90lbs of gear into my EMR and did a walk in the park so to speak at 5 miles and it was rather comfy :-)

egg

PHfactor
11-08-2002, 03:57 PM
Alfred,
I've just relocated to Utah from Alaska.I'll be making a trip to the factory in colorado in Nov.
I'll be more than happy to let you check out the EMR I will be bringing back with me.Let me know how to contact you.
PHfactor

gooney
08-13-2003, 02:27 PM
Al, I was all set to purchase one if I had to go play in the sand. I have the spike camp for hunting, These packs are bullet proof, high speed low drag serious gear, Save your pennies and purchase one, it is an investment like a good pair of black cadillacs

Matt in AK
08-13-2003, 06:13 PM
PHFactor,

I live in Anchorage as well and wouldn't mind taking a look at the EMR ruck when you get back if you don't mind. I can show you an 8-man tipi in a couple weeks.

Matt

Maximus05
11-02-2003, 08:16 PM
Alfred, I should have known I would see you over here. Gucci Geardo for sure. :p

PHfactor, I am also in Utah and I am saving my pennies for the EMR. If you do bring one back to Utah, and you are still willing, I would love to see it.

Recce Gear
11-03-2003, 06:21 AM
Maximus,

I am in Utah and my MMR should be in my hands this week. Drop me an email and maybe we can link up, drtywk@netzero.net.

drtywk

Moloch38
11-03-2003, 09:04 AM
The Pointman is sweet and seems like it would be the perfect ticket for you with some long pouches and a back pouch to add some room when you need it, if you need more than that, go with the Navigator. These packs are great and will not be dissapointed. As for durability, they are bombproof, over built in every critical area, plus they are backed by a rock solid garentee and 100% made in the USA quality. Link up with one of these good guys in your area and check them out and or get on the phone with Mel or Patrick and they will square you away.

schapman43
11-06-2003, 04:54 PM
I've been looking at these packs for a while now. Never really bothered to look at where they are made. Turns out I'm only 2 hours away! I'll have to pick up my pack in person when I finally have the money.