PDA

View Full Version : Duplex vs frame in pack?

Zane Rakes
09-15-2016, 07:25 AM
Is there any difference in load carrying ability between the newer gen duplex frame/pack combos and the older frame in packs like the Timberlines etc...?
Is the main difference the flexibility of interchangeable packs or do the newer duplex style frames just carry better?
Thanks,
z

lineman78
09-15-2016, 07:45 AM
I've never tried a Timberline, but have been told that they are the most comfortable pack for loads under 80lbs. Once you get above 80 the duplex is much more comfortable.

And yes, the other advantage is the modularity as it becomes slightly cheaper to have multiple packs for different purposes and switching out the frame vs multiple complete packs.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

widowshooter
09-15-2016, 08:32 PM
I liked the internal frames better, but that's just me. I don't have/see a need for multiple packs. I ran a timberline 2 and it could do anything I needed it to. I also carried 80lbs in it multiple times and it was no less or more comfortable than the bikini or any of the duplex frames as 80lbs sucks on your back regardless of what it's in. At that point it's all misery management, not comfort.

Zane Rakes
09-15-2016, 11:38 PM
Hahaha...misery management is a good word for it.