PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Backcountry Rendezvous 2016 (7th Anniversary)

Sawtooth
07-26-2016, 09:11 AM
My apologies for getting this out late this year! Anyhow, here are the dates. Send me an RSVP here or by PM and I'll send out the particulars via PM.

August 20-21, 2016 (SEVENTH ANNIVERSARY)

This is a backpack or packstock only affair. There is no mechanized access to the rendezvous. It's between 4-5 miles from either of two trailheads, and I would classify it as moderate difficulty. For you veterans, we'll camp in the same location as last year. Pike National Forest is currently under a Stage 1 fire restriction, which DOES allow the use of fully enclosed wood stoves with spark arrestors (Kifaru wood stoves), but outdoor campfires are prohibited in the wilderness where we will be camping.

We always plan the food as BYO and be prepared to share your vittles. Some very interesting food shows up in camp.

With lots of trails to explore, water to fish, and wildlife to watch, this gathering will be one of the highlights of your year.

I'd like to gather RSVPs in the next few days for the Colorado Backcountry Rendezvous. Send them via a reply here or PM.

widowshooter
07-28-2016, 10:59 PM
I'm going to have to miss this years event, we are closing on our house down in SW Colorado on the 22nd. (Sad panda)

lineman78
07-28-2016, 11:05 PM
Darn, want to join but I will be on my way to Canada to do some Pike fishing.

COShunter
08-01-2016, 12:55 PM
I will be attending, but have not checked with other half yet. If she commits, I will update you.

Jon S
08-02-2016, 10:54 AM
I will be attending, but have not checked with Better half yet. If she commits, I will update you.
I fixed it for you Rex! Not sure if we'll be there, but going to try.

COShunter
08-02-2016, 01:27 PM
Jon:
Thanks for the help. Create problems for myself when I get in a hurry. Hope to see you and at least some of the family.
Rex

chokedee
08-03-2016, 11:41 AM
I will be there again this year. Hope to see some other Kifaru hikers on trail so I don't miss that meadow that leads up to the campsite. Last year I hiked with Jon S' family and tried to pay attention to the location. Randall if you go, lets get our HT's on the same frequency and check out the VHF propagation.

robcollins
08-03-2016, 03:35 PM
I'm hopeful but not certain yet. Has anyone ever gone in from Camp Rock? I am dabbling with the idea of taking the "most obvious trail", (<=editing to keep location discrete) then crossing the saddle SW of the first lake, dropping a little, and then contouring ~west over to the "lower elevation trail that comes in from further south of the pass." (aka SGC)

It'd top out around ~13,100, and be around 8 miles 1 way... (I'm using Alltrails to think about this...)

Thoughts? If I'm able, I'm hoping to hit camp rock in the neighborhood of 6:30 pm Friday, taking the SL-5 & medium stove, if anyone wants to go in light, we could share...

Has anybody hiked that "most obvious trail" from Camp Rock lately? I have vague recollection of there being blowdowns, (LOTS) but didn't remember if this was the one or where I heard this... I may ping the FOMELC guys, or is there someplace else that would have info? (USFS maybe? Justin? Ideas?)

MojoSlim
08-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Sad to be missing another rondy. This year has been crazy with friends' weddings, so I'm all tapped out on vacation. I'm sure it'll be as great a time as always. Take pics for me so I can imagine I was there :)

Aloha!

Sawtooth
08-14-2016, 10:14 PM
Just checking in to read the updates and replies here and on my PMs. Our youngest daughter and I will either hike down from the top on Friday evening or Saturday morning, dependent upon when we get freed up on Friday. It'll be her 11th birthday on Saturday, and I can't think of a better way to celebrate! Is anyone else bringing kiddos?