PDA

View Full Version : How are you packing in your Smith Cylinder Stove?

Jauwater
07-25-2016, 06:06 PM
I use a Kifaru Nomad pack, on a 22" UL Frame, and I'm finding it difficult to find a home on my pack for the Smith Cylinder Stove due to its 20"x12" stuff sack. How are you packing it in? Any pics would be great too, but any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

robcollins
07-25-2016, 11:42 PM
I've got a medium box stove, my concern with it is compressing it too much. Luckily, it's not one of my heavier pieces of gear, or densest, so I don't try to pack it next to the frame. The cylinder stoves are even lighter. I'd try lashing it so you're not smashing it.

Jauwater
07-26-2016, 04:10 AM
Hey Rob,
I have owned a Medium Box stove, and a parastove, and they have both held up really well packed in, and compressed tight in my bag. I would typically slide the stove in the pack with the long side going in vertical. Id try to make whatever the stove is backing up too as flat as possible, and typically store something semi flat in front of it to so it compresses flat as possible, and it never twisted the stoves to bad. I never noticed any extra damage to the stoves I owned from packing them in compressed in the bag.

I've got a medium box stove, my concern with it is compressing it too much. Luckily, it's not one of my heavier pieces of gear, or densest, so I don't try to pack it next to the frame. The cylinder stoves are even lighter. I'd try lashing it so you're not smashing it.

Reaper229
07-28-2016, 06:02 PM
When i was using cylinder stoves i was using the side compression straps on the bag or on top of the bag with the help of my Long Hunter lid...stupid maybe but thats the only reason i am now only using box stove...i was mad each time trying to find a place for the damn long tube of 18".(body)

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

Jauwater
07-29-2016, 01:42 PM
Lol, I feel your pain reaper! Did you like your cylinder stove? ever have any problems with it?

Jauwater
07-30-2016, 05:32 AM
So I've decided! I run an E&E between the wings of the Nomad, so as far as stashing the stove between the wings it is a no go for me. Lashing it to the outside of the bag will be one of the ways I pack the stove accordingly to what is being packed in, or out. There are two other ways I found work well with the Nomad, guide lid, grab it. I stash my doobie in a 5 string small just below the wing pockets. So with the Nomad full, and buckled in, store the stove horizontally across the pack with the 18" pipe resting in the seam where the sleep system stuff sack meets the wing pocket. Have the plates in the stove stuff sack centered with the pack, but resting on the Nomad, not the stuff sack. Have your guide lid buckle straps on the bottom of your pack strapping in your sleep system, and stove, buckling in your lid. I don't go real tight on the compression, just firm. Then extending the grab it out, and over the sleep system, and stove. Compressed firmly. Like this honestly it is such a slight difference, I didn't even notice any difference in my pack as far as weight, or appearance. Another way that worked well was store the plates in a separate stuff sack, I use a Kifaru Large cordura pullout. Place the store pipe in its stuff sack vertically along the seam where the two wing pockets meet. At that point you can buckle in your guide lid and compress it firmly, and do the same with the grab it. Then store the plates in the large pullout in the guide lid. Storing it like this I guess would be less appealing to the eye cause you can see the imprint of the stove coming through the grab it, and lid, but still carries the same with very slight difference in weight. Ill post some pics later. Just thought I'd share.

Jauwater
08-05-2016, 06:11 PM
Sorry it took so long.....

Reaper229
08-09-2016, 03:24 PM
Lol, I feel your pain reaper! Did you like your cylinder stove? ever have any problems with it?
No problems,it gave me more heat source than a box stove,with top rods you can cook food like a box stove.
Box stoves are not airtight.

Reaper229
08-09-2016, 03:26 PM
Sorry it took so long.....

I really like your set-up man!!!

Jauwater
08-09-2016, 05:47 PM
Thanks man, I'm really happy with it. I'm starting an Appalachian Trail thru hike starting February 25th with this setup, and all my other Kifaru gear. I'll be able to put in some real good reviews of their gear once the 2200 mile trek is done.

I really like your set-up man!!!

wachatz
09-26-2016, 02:43 AM

I just ran two of the compression straps through the loops on the stove pouch and then was careful how I laid the pack down. It worked well!