PDA

View Full Version : 2016 CO Fishing Rondy

lineman78
04-05-2016, 01:55 PM
This idea came up in a recent fly fishing thread and I figured I'd start a thread to gauge interest and maybe start making some plans. For those that would like to learn to fly fish we will try to pick a place that is conducive to doing so. I will bring at least one extra fly rod so whoever wants to learn can borrow it.

I am open to any suggestions as far as where to go, however one place that I have been to a couple times that I can say for certain is great fishing and a wonderful place to learn to fly fish in the Holy Cross Wilderness. It is about a 4.5 mile moderate hike on a solid trail ending at 11,500ft meaning that it gets some traffic but not absurd (5 or 6 groups camping on a weekend in the summer). Brookies range from 6-8" and cuts 10-12" so it's quantity not quality (although these are the most colorful brookies I've ever seen).

I'm thinking a long weekend leaving Friday morning sometime in May/June, but again pretty flexible. Let me know what you guys think. Going as early as possible would be good to beat the crowds. It looks like the road up to the lake is closed till June 20 for elk calving, so unless we want to add another 8 miles to the trip we'd have to go after that. How does June 24-26 sound?

Photos from previous trips to the lake:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPaBekyDvfvYXmHMzCb7mPgtQDdJ1tujCms-M_xZSwDjJPJFQVeuiozdXQNTD1Law?key=UnkyVFdDbDFkTm1C eWRKSUVxUVVwb3M1aTBnYnpB
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOEKMJiKoc8HmITuMhVpnxbIop0pSDWqmNCet0fShEKro uDWtAdUTwqfABvSASZHg?key=aTQwYTQ5RlR0WTF2Sy1sVTl3S HR3WjZENTVQNXNn

widowshooter
04-05-2016, 04:02 PM
That date works for me, right now anyway. That'll give me a couple of weeks with the new job and we should be settled after the move.

robcollins
04-06-2016, 05:43 PM
I'll make it work, the war department is pretty nice. :-)

Chime in here folks if you have interest, plenty of time to decide. lineman78 or I will share info via pm closer to date.

topher89
04-06-2016, 07:44 PM
Will be in Mexico for a wedding during that time but if the dates move I am in

lineman78
04-06-2016, 08:09 PM
Will be in Mexico for a wedding during that time but if the dates move I am in

Okay, I'm trying to sort out when my trip to Montana will be, but I should be good for the beginning of July either 8-10 or 15-17. Do either of those weekends work for folks as well. We might have to fight off a few more people, but it's never super crowded.

widowshooter
04-06-2016, 09:48 PM
I think I can work with those dates.